When is a good time to introduce a new partner to your children?

I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old from my previous marriage. I have started seeing this really lovely man who I adore. It’s only 6 weeks in but it’s definitely a long term thing. He says he wants to meet my children but won’t push me, he’s happy to go with what I think is an appropriate time. Any advice in the situation?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Firstly, if you can do a police check on the man then do that first. I have come across a number of cases where a woman with a child or children has introduced the man to the kids and he turns out to have been abusive in previous relationships or has paedophilic tendencies.

Secondly, I would wait at least six months to be sure the relationship is going somewhere. You don't want to introduce someone to your kids early only for the relationship to broke up and he disappears from the kids lives - that could be very distressing for them, especially if they take a liking to them.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• When you feel comfortable enough with the idea of him meeting them, and you feel the relationship will be long term

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• My dad hid his relationship for around three years. Me and my brother always had and still do hate that woman, but he married her.
    You should introduce him (even if not as your partner) to see if your kids are ok with him. It really will ruin their lives if they're not. (If you wait to long to introduce the relationship may become to serious to get out of, even for your kids)
    I hope this helped and I hope it all works out for you

0|0
    0|0
  • If you feel comfortable being with him, I think now would be a good time, because it’d be best to find out if your kids like him sooner rather than later.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wow are you my girlfriend?

My SO has young children but she told me she isn't ready for me to meet them. I try to be as understanding and patient as possible because I really want the relationship to work long-term. I don't have any children and am younger than she is. If your guy is serious about being with you long-term, then he will be willing to be patient when it comes to meeting your kids.

I remember telling my SO that her kids should be her #1 priority and to do what is best for them first.

0|0
    0|0
  • From personal experience I would recommend you introduce him as your friend.

0|1
    0|0
  • Only if it is clearly going to be a serious relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • When your serious

0|0
    0|0
  • You can introduce him as your new friend, nothing more. He can be friends with your kids too and they can get to know each other. I would wait until like 5-6 months.

0|1
    0|0
  • When things get serious

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes