How to get physical with a shy guy?

I've been going on dates with this French guy who really likes me for weeks, he is shy, but not afraid of initiate conversations and dates, basically, every day he every day if I have time to see him even if only for few hours, and also texts me about every single thing he does.

But even he is quite active online, when we actually see each other, he never done anything physical, he seems very respectful even when I try to bring up some edgy conversations and jokes, he doesn't continue with them.

Finally, in the last date, things get a bit physical, there are some little touches from him and I try my best to open up to him, but he still does not have the courage to hold my hand or kiss me.

So I don't know what to do, I don't mind to kiss him first, but I feel shy too, to be honest. Now he keeps asking me when will we meet next, so should I keep the tempo wait for him to do something first, or the opposite? If I decide to be active first, how can I initiate it?

03