Could you date and love an asexual person? Could you work past a lack of desire (but still full willing participation) on their part in your sex life?

tl, dr; see title, but it applies to the relationship I just lost :( sorry for the full life story :P

Clarify; if you found out the person you're dating is asexual (little desire for sex with any gender), would you be willing to look past their lack of desire in bed (but fully willing to participate) to accept an otherwise romantic, generous, caring, loving partner?

Personal Background; I've only had one relationship so far in my life, and I absolutely loved her with all my heart, but I never had any sexual desire for her and always felt awkward trying to make stuff happen in bed. It might be possible I just wasn't attracted to her, but she'a freakin' beautiful as far as I'm concerned, so we chalked it up to me being asexual. And she wanted it every day, often a few times a day, so we jokingly agreed to call her a nympho. But we tried it for two or so years, she even agreed to marry me, but after less than half a year married she gave up on me. Not because I didn't love her with every bit and corner and curve of my heart, but because I couldn't... demonstrate... my desire for her in bed. I could be romantic and generous and loving and caring, just not bed-wise.

32

Most Helpful Girl

• It's hard and you're an example that it doesn't work for people when one of the two is asexual. I'm not asexual, but my ex boyfriend wanted sex all the time and didn't, just occasinaly. We had a lot of fights about it and it was one of the reasons we broke up. It would be better if you find someone who is also asexual. Because being on the same sexual desire level helps in your relationship. Also when you didn't give her all the sexual attention she wanted, she could have felt unatractive or felt like she wasn't enough for you.

• I feel like frequency wasn't our problem so much; I was down to have sex whenever she wanted, but I asked her to let me know when she wanted, because I didn't have an interest in initiating, or have the ability to read 'this is when she wants it' in her body language. She felt this was demeaning for her, like she had to beg me for it, definitely not my intention :( and yeah, she felt unattractive because of my lack of sexual desire, no matter how much I professed her beauty or my love for her

• Insightful, thanks

• Your welcome

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a technique problem. Try not saying your asexual next time and just please her on a regular schedule.

• That's the problem though man, we did it on the regular. Her complaint was how I couldn't show her "desire". And I didn't outright tell her, I didn't know myself. We just found this out over time :/

• O I got the job done mah man, trust. I just couldn't figure out how to treat it as more than just a job

• Show fake interest like noises or slapping he ass and saying fuck yea. I mean if you want something from her isn't fair to give something back?