How do I get my boyfriend to trust me?

My boyfriend has pretty bad trust issues. Things happened with his ex and he's bringing it into our relationship. I love him and wouldn't do anything to risk it but its very hard for him to believe me. I just don't know how to work on it with him. any thoughts?

1019

Most Helpful Girl

• In all honesty I sort of had the same thing going on with my boyfriend. He didn't even want to officially date me until he knew he didn't have to worry too much about me cheating. But he was still worried. I remember right when we made it official (which was months after we started seeing each other) he went out of town for two months for work and was coming back afterwards. I remember him telling me that since I was staying in the dorms at college he was sure I was going to get drunk and cheat on him, I told him that would never happen. I don't think he really started believing me until I remember this one time I was at the first party I went out to with him gone and I was outside with my friend and he asked if I wanted to call and I said sure why not I'm drunk lol.
    And then for some reason every time I went out to a party I would get pretty drunk and end up calling him. He told me that always made him feel better because it was obvious I wasn't hooking up with anyone. Eventually he had to trust me and with time he eventually became almost completely trusting in me.
    Although now his fear is that when I turn 21 (which is this year) and start going to clubs and bars I'll meet older/cooler guys who are actually worth my time. I will admit I've never been into younger college guys, but I feel until I show him that even clubs and bars won't change me that he will always be nervous. But I always tell myself "It comes with time". Show him that he can trust you. Don't give him any reason not to. And he will come around I promise.

Most Helpful Guy

• you don't. no seriously you can't make someone trust you. They have to find it within themselves to start trusting people. Can you help develop that I guess by being honest all the time. Course if you end up breaking up with him after saying the words "I love you" then depending on how he sees those words you could end up making things way worse because it means you didn't love him. Before you get mad for me saying that understand that there is a difference between loving, lusting, and infatuation as well as loving someone as a romantic partner and loving someone as a person. A lot of people can not seem to tell the difference between those nowadays which makes for very destructive relationships because it just keeps compounding the misunderstanding for those things