Would you date someone who is an atheist or a different religion than you?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm an aetheist who dated a catholic, and we had no problem with it. It's a relatively small subject of life to avoid bringing up. Especially so if you just don't care one way or the other. Like, Hitchens probably would have a hard time of it, 'cause he's full of himself. Let the believers believe what they want, its no skin off my nose. If the person's worth it, be okay with performing whatever rituals they might ask you to perform, BUT discuss with them a frequency of indulgence in these rituals that would keep both of you satisfied (i. e. try for less often but allow them often enough, figure out which are most important to them and bring your A game to those ones). Sitting there in a pew for an hour a week contemplating morality with my wife didn't seem all that hard, and Christmas is totally worth the hassle

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly I couldn’t, I grew up in a Roman Catholic family and I myself am atheist and always have been. It caused a lot of friction in my life and though I would never intentionally offend or dishonour someone based on their faith I’ve become an elitist in that I feel religion is a crutch for a magnitude of short comings. So... no, unfortunately I’m just not that open minded

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm the same way... I would like to say religion wouldn't play a factor... but I know it will eventually down the line

• Yep hhhh

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I'm atheist who was raised in the church. One of the things I've been raised with is the idea that god should come first in every relationship, and without him relationships are doomed to fail. In many ways it's a self fulfilling prophecy that I don't want to end up breaking my heart down the line.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely not.
    As an Atheist, I value critical thinking skills and reason. Traits just not found in believers.

2|2
    3|0
  • Depends on what religion and how much they are into it. Plus her parents opinion on her and how much control they have over her life.

If she belongs to a religious fanatically crazy family.. no fuck that shit ain't worth it.

Also if she's a unholier than thou, smarter snobby asshole atheist who likes to think they are higher than everyone else.. no.

0|0
    0|0
  • sure, im not religious, but i dont care if someone is, but probably i would prefer if they werent offended easily then bc I am not that good at unnoffensively asking about religion lol Im not athiest tho, my questions jsut always comeo ut wrong so its kinda awkward

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course! My parents were of two religions. My mum had one, while my dad didn’t! Lol 😂 It worked for them. For they believed that religion is a very personal thing, that should be respected, but generally only discussed in private. Throughout my life, I had religious discussions with my mum. With my dad, I just didn’t. And that was that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would date someone who has some kind of deistic belief even though I don't share that, but I wouldn't date an actually religious or theistic person because I think we'd be too fundamentally different.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have before, as long as there's mutual respect for each other and each other's beliefs. But, it can affect other areas too such as children, marriage etc.

1|1
    0|0
  • I am an atheist myself. I do not mind a friend or a partner being religious as long as he/she doesn't try to convice me of their belief.

2|1
    0|0
  • I would only date someone whose religious beliefs were similar to mine. I want our beliefs to make us closer, to encourage each other, not be something that is different or divides in any way.

1|0
    0|0
  • Id date anything, except a muslim. Mothafucka ain't covering my hair, thats for sure.

1|1
    0|0
    • I spit my fucking wine out from laughing so hard! “Won’t put shit on my head, ok?”

• I’m currently dating an atheist. It was against my better judgement, but it’s been just fine. He was raised Christian and is just over religion. He hates the sound of atheist, is fine with me being Christian and raising any children we may have Christian.

0|0
    0|0
  • Less problems with an atheist. Sorry not sorry. Religion is a massive thing. I'm the kind of person who would rather think rationally and logically rather than emotionally. And following a particular religion and dismissing the other ones seems a little bit egoist for me. Even in a relationship, different religions = different opinions. I respect all religions but some of religious people tend to force their beliefs on you as if their religion is the supremacy one. Not "all of them" ok, just "most of them". Well, religion is not an issue as long as the potential partner does not try to convert me. But there are less risks with an atheist.

1|2
    0|0
    • Hahaha I remember when I was in primary school, some of the kids would argue on while God was more power full and then it would end up in a brawl

• Hahaha I remember when I was in primary school, some of the kids would argue on whos God was more power full and then it would end up in a brawl

• I would as long as they don't get condescending with me or talk condescending about other people's beliefs.

0|0
    0|0
  • This is a touchy subject to begin with for most people... But I think as long as they respect my belief and I respect theirs and neither try to push or put down the other for what they believe I would...

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if there’s zero possibility of us having kids together because decisions on how to raise the kids would be a big problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not with an atheist. I think they are annoying. Or just the ones i have known were

0|1
    0|0
    • Not all of them, I am not an atheist but know many atheists who don't fuck my mind with stupid atheist jokes 😂

• Yep. Atheists have a tendency to not keep their opinions to themselves. It would be way too annoying to date someone who wants to break down everything you do and try to explain "why its all fake".. god it angers me so much

• Exactly!

• I prefer Atheists because I am one

Religious people are nuts in the head

1|1
    1|0
  • No because thats a bases of someones life if your values differ that drastically then yourbon two different wave lengths

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course! It brings up more topics and we can better understand each other!

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes - however from my own experience, I dated an atheist and he used to make me out to be stupid for believing in god (I’m Christian). He was brought up as an atheist in Ireland (where they are highly religious) and so had become almost anti-religious. He would belittle my beliefs and would not be open to my way of seeing my religion. I’m saying that, if the right person came about and they had a different religion as long as they were open for me to discuss my religious beliefs in a safe and respectful way and of course they could also talk about their beliefs too and I’d be happy to talk about it - then I’d go out with someone without religion. As to other religions - of course I would be.

0|0
    0|0
  • I prefer a fellow-atheist. But if she believes in God or something, and i won't have to adjust my life to her religion. Im fine with that

1|0
    0|0
  • Religion is good bad no matter what relationships
    And friendships are good great fantastic everything is possible depends on
    How much time you invest

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm an atheist and I would find it pretty difficult to date a religious person

0|1
    1|0
  • Sure as an Atheist long as they don’t push the faith on me.

1|1
    0|0
  • Sure but be respectful walk away if u have to dont be rude

0|0
    0|0
  • I would. But I won't if I'm required to change my religion.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they're one of those edgy high school atheists, hell no.
    If they're from another religion, sure why not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Athiest yeah cuz I am one myself, different religions, atheism isn't a religion but not I wouldn't date a religious person

0|0
    0|0
  • Perhaps from a different religion but absolutely not an atheist

0|0
    0|0
  • That's a really good question. I'm was brought up in a catholic family. Qhat i find is every girl I've dated has been non Catholic and it sucked

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I wouldn't, I date only people who are from the same religion as me and religious.

0|0
    0|0
    • 😨😨😨Yon don't date people that don't believe in any religions?

• @reventon4 I wouldn't, atheist people have always being very rude to me and disrespecting my belief so I wouldn't.
      Too I want to get married at the church which is just not possible if I date an atheist.

• Yeah, I had a long conversation with myself about this XD.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I think till both of the person go well together and understand each other, there should be no problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have, and I've gotten my hear broke by dating Mormons as an athiest

0|0
    0|0
  • Yup sure, i have 2 gf's in past from different religion

0|0
    0|0
  • It happens, but they all discourage it in some way.

0|0
    0|0
  • I love to date with other religions. So I can learn about her style more.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I would, as long as she doesn't try to convert me.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you dating a person or religious institution?

0|3
    0|0
  • Honestly, yes. I have no problem with that.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am Atheist getting married to another Atheist

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on kookiness level.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't give a damn about that if she's hot