I want to get to know this guy but i’m not sure how to approach him?

so there’s this kid who goes to my school. i wanna get to know him and become friends and maybe soon something more🤷🏽‍♀️ but i don’t know how to approach him. my mom is friends with his mom and he comes to our parties every now and then. but we do go to the same school, i just don’t have any classes with him. i see him and lunch sometimes. and before and after school. but i’m scared that maybe he doesn’t wanna be friends with me. he’s also kind of shy like me. but whenever i DO walk past him i try to look at him and like smile.. but he looks me up and down. not sure as in if he LIKES me or just looking at me for no reason😂🤷🏽‍♀️ but i’m not sure what to talk about. one of my close friends is also friends with him... and that’s all i really know we have in common🤷🏽‍♀️ i just really want to make friends and i’m not sure if he’s up for that. (also i’m really shy at first until i really get to know people.. at least a moth or probably even more of talking and i’ll really start to be myself.. so again.. not sure how to talk to him.)

02