My boyfriend is stressed and taking it out on me... He might break up with me. What do I do?

My boyfriend’s father passed away about a month ago, they weren’t close anymore but a death is still a death and he has been unable to fly home due to school. We are in the same graduate program together, we study for our exams together, etc. He has always gotten stressed out or frustrated and gets into moods where nothing I say pleases him.

Now with his father passing away, finding out he has siblings he didn’t know about, finding out his father remarried and his aunt/god mother knew but didn’t tell my boyfriend, having a full time rotation, studying for an upcoming class, trying to find a place to live as his lease is about to run out, completing homework every night, and trying to clean his 3 bedroom apartment alone since his roommates didn’t, he is stressed all of the time.

Sometimes we are fine, other times the stress gets to him and he might not respond to my text for a day or two. I’m not overly texting or contacting him.

The cycle repeated last week and he snapped on me on Wednesday saying he didn’t want my help cleaning, doesn’t need me or anyone, etc. come Friday we talked and he thinks we need to do one of three things: break up, stay together and it either gets better or worse, or take 1-2 months break and reevaluate. We didn’t finish the conversation and said we’d finish it the next day. We haven’t found time as we are both finishing projects for our rotations and everything else he has going on. We have had several days no contact and when I do contact him about using his printer or something small I get a “you can come get my keys but I have my own shit to do”.

I don’t know what to do. I imagine we will finish the conversation tonight (one week later) and I don’t see it ending well. He wants to continue studying together regardless of what happens. I also asked him if he thought we would be having the conversation if he didn’t have all of this going on in his life and he said “no, probably not”
Update— after a 5 hour conversation, he broke up with me saying “I don’t know what else to do right now.” He started crying (this guy is t the emotional type and didn’t cry when his father passed away). I want what it best for him and have asked him to give me space. We sit near each other in class (unassigned, assigned seats) so it is going to be difficult for me. I am going to work on myself but I know I’m going to hope he comes back when he is ready.

12

Most Helpful Girl

• It's understandable that he has a rocky road in his life right now. Just give him some time to resolve his problem or lessen his stress. They are so many things that he needs to think about so maybe you two should cool off or have a break.