What would you do if your s. o. dislikes your family or disrespects them?

By disrespecting, I mean not thinking about the boundaries/rules that they set, saying it's ridiculous or stupid etc. Would you stay together? Or is it a deal breaker

1916

Most Helpful Guys

• Being in a relationship with someone means to accept them for who they are, including the family that they belong to! It's only natural that your parents and family members will want to know more about your significant other if you want to marry them one day! If my significant other isn't willing to respect and treat them right along with the boundaries and rules they set in place after I've warned them before, how can I expect them to be respectful to other people they'll meet in the future? I'd want a partner who's respectful, friendly and cooperative to everyone they meet so I can feel comfortable in knowing a fight won't break out constantly from disagreements they may come around!

This certainly is a deal breaker for me because family will be there for you if anything went wrong! The last thing you'd want to do is burn your bridge with them and picking over your significant other just because of their selfish decision to resent them.

• Thank you for the answer

• You're very welcome! No relationship can be healthy if there's resentment present in it whether your significant other disrespects your family members, close friends and/or your co-workers.

• Family to me is a deal breaker... if your family circle is you and your s. o., then if you are ok with it, then fine... but you are giving up family ties. If you have st to g family ties and family support, the s. o. is disrespecting you as well as your family. If the s. o is unwilling to respect your ideals and your family... just say to your s. o. "and the horse you rode in on"... i am sure the first two words can be figured out... if not provide an educational moment.

• Thank you for the insight

Most Helpful Girls

• part of being in a relationship is having to deal with stuff you might not like, he has to respect your familys rules and boundaries wheather he likes it or not. and to you the same with his family. if he respects you he will respect your family. talk to him, and if he keeps it that way, show him that your family is first, they were there before him

• That would be a deal breaker. Now the situation would be different if it was the other way around, if a family member didn't like them for just the person they are. But if I'm with someone and they don't respect my family, I see it as a you don't care enough to make an effort.

• I definitely understand it's ok if it's the other way around. But I agree. I think it's the lack of effort to try an understand or respect that different households has different rules.