Is depression/anxiety a deal breaker for you?

Say you meet someone and start the process of getting to know them, with the intention of dating. You soon learn this person has a history of struggling with depression and or anxiety. They may not be abusive to you, but they have had suicidal thoughts in the past. Given that they are working to get treatment, whether it's medication, therapy, or a combination of the two; is this a deal breaker for going forward with the relationship?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• Kinda, yeah. I'm diagnosed with GAD and I think that I'd be very cautious about getting into a relationship with someone else undergoing treatment for mental illness. I take my meds and go to therapy but it still is a daily struggle for me and I can't always control my symptoms - that wouldn't be good for the other person, I wouldn't want to put their health at risk and I think being with them would probably make my GAD worse too. It'd just be risky and I'm not sure it'd be worth the potential damage to our health.

Most Helpful Guy

• If they're working to get treatment then it's not. But I've known one who just wallowed in it and goes with the flow in hopes that they'll change as life goes on. Anybody like that, is a deal breaker