Why is it forbidden for males to want emotional support?

Girls say guys must be self sufficient with happiness and that they should never look to their partner for hapoiness, but why is it fine for girls to want that from males?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It's our culture i guess. Boys are born with the same emotions and emotional responses as girls. Society tells us that men have to be 'strong' so they can protect the 'weak' women. Emotions are seen as weak and so become permissible for women to feel, but not men. These double standards really really make me angry. For men, they are destructive and dehumanizing and for women they are ALSO destructive and dehumanizing.

I believe in equal rights for all genders. If it's okay for women to show emotion, so should men. If a man can go topless, so should a women. If a women can own a cute tiny dog and not have someone challenge her about it, so should men. If a man can get a job with a good salary, a women should be able to get that same job with the same salary. If a women can punch a man in the face because she's angry, well guess what? Same thing for a man.

0|2
    0|0
    • Men are definitely not as emotional as women.
      Boys may be almost as emotional but by puberty the gap is sky wide.

• Girls often choose the men who never need support over ones who like to talk about their day and what not

Most Helpful Guy

• This is not true. Both men and women need emotional support. It is blatantly wrong to say that men are forbidden to receiving an emotional support from women.
    Now, if you need a shoulder to cry on when things go particularly bad, doesn't the guy expect a same response when he is feeling low. Just because men are apparently strong, doesn't mean they don't struggles with emotional outbursts. And if they turn to their spouse to gain a support, a feeling of togetherness, that is not something to be frowned upon. In fact when a couple is actively sharing their physical, social, familial burdens, supporting them through good and bad times and still holding on to one another, becoming each others pillows to cry on and being the best friends, that is an indication of a strong marriage. That is what a successful marital life is all about.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• It is absolutely not forbidden, in contrary, I think it is needed. Both males and females need emotional support. To me, there is nothing more attractive than a man who is not afraid to open up and talk about his emotions or seeks emotional support every now and then.

0|1
    0|0
  • its not.. men are the ones who give each a hard time over showing emotions the most. I saw a guy call another dude a fag just cause he's a nurse.

0|2
    0|0
    • Show All
    • How do you scan a male to make sure he's clean of any insecurities?

• Lol my boyfriend can come to me for support whenever he wants

0|1
    0|0
    • But the majority if women select the ones who never ask right?

• Not that I know of. You seem to be asking out of personal experience rather than general understanding. I can only tell you what I know. When I started my relationship with my boyfriend, he thought I was supposed to be happy all the time until I explained to him that people have emotions. I think some girls want a dude who has his stuff together. But if you're dating a girl who wants you to be happy all the time without needing their support, then you ought to move on.

• It just doesn't feel like girls my age want to bother with teaching a guy who hadn't dated before.

• Women don't really want a man who can be 100% percent vunerable if it shows that they are weak. They want this unrealistic exception of the gentle beast. It's biologically wired.

Girls will say they don't believe that but if they ever meet a man that completely falls apart in front of them they will be turned off. Even if they are a emotionally healthy person.

0|1
    0|0
  • You are supposed to look at your partner for happiness and support, manliness has nothing to do with it. Anyone who says otherwise has gotten himself into an unfullfilling relationship and is bitter because of it. Girls who say that shit aren't worth your time and is a clear indicator to avoid them

0|1
    0|0
  • 1) it's not forbidden, it's part of male culture not to be though.
    2) not all girls say this, you're projecting
    3) women are encouraged all their life to emotional, so it's always expected and normalized.
    4) some girls like emotional men, others do not. Just find someone who does rather then telling those who do, that their preferance in partners is wrong.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, that's completely wrong I think, that's why there's such a problem with male mental health and male suicides, Because they're expected to be strong, not to show feelings and get through it on their own, everyone should have someone to share their problems with

0|0
    0|0
  • If he's not happy with himself, it will be harder on the relationship, but not to get happiness from his partner is ridiculous. You should both be getting happiness from each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • Cuz man are ment to be manly and when a guy cries like little bitch in front of their girlfriend then a girl instead of thinking of her boyfriend as a strong man that can protect her she starts to think of her boyfriend as a pussy that can't do shit

0|0
    0|0
  • Happiness is individual even in marriage you make yourself happy and if your with the right person they will be happy that your happy, vise versa. Reliance is inevitable disappointment make yourself happy and you'll be happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because men that show emotions in the first place tend to be deemed weak. Do I think this is okay? Hell no. But it’s how it is as of now.

0|0
    0|0
    • You don't think it's right but you actively participate is emasculating them

• Even though you find it mean, what makes you look down on guys who have emotions?

• It's not. The female should be the hard place to the male's rock. They support and work well together. If a woman can't make the man happy, regardless of what is forbidden, then she doesn't really care.

0|0
    0|0
  • Society teached this to us. If you want to be a real men, you will have to take your emotions under control by yourself. Oke maybe uf it's becomes too much you can ask mum for help, but that's it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Relationships are a two way street.
    You both are there to make each other happy.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not just from women. Men expect other men to be unbreakable as well because for some reason, we like to pretend that we're still in the caveman ages

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not seen by ourselves as manly. Opening up is the scariest thought imaginable. We only dare do it when were super drunk and with our best bros. Thats why drinking with bros is so important.

0|0
    0|0
  • If your partner is telling you to f- off when you go to her for emotional support, you might want to look into a new partner.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just another double standard that once again favors females. Nothing new here.

0|2
    0|0
  • Never heard of that dumb saying before, but if that's actually true... I am really done of this world.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a weakness and weakness is unattractive in males.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because boys and girls are different. A whiney dude that constantly needs validation is a turn off.

0|0
    0|0
  • What girl says that? All I hear from women is to be emotionally raw and vulnerable with them, not hiding them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Do some people actually believe that? Everyone needs emotional support, male or female.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because modern feminism dictates that they're special and you're worthless.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess because it's generally frowned upon, fuck it though I got real homies who seen me cry ain't no shame in that

0|0
    0|0
  • Who told you that? Really there is no reason not to need support ever. I seen many occasions where my so really helped me and so I helped her.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know but I find it very sad. As a person who greatly struggles with my emotions I understand the hardship. I know I'm not a guy but I was often ignored emotionally too and told to suck it up and I was often put down for my emotions. I would get punished for having them. I would get yelled at and laughed at. I'm more of a special case when it comes to women though. So many men deal with this and it often goes ignored. I mean how is someone gonna know someone is hurting if they were conditioned to hide the pain their whole life? It sickens me.

0|0
    0|0
    • Even to get into a relationship. If a male expresses emotions, girls leave them

• Because patriarchal norms dictate that men must always be strong and never allow themselves to show their feelings.

0|0
    0|0
    • So the system made by men to opresss women Also opresses men?

• @Shoenron In a way, yes. Men who drop out of this system tend to be stigmatized. They're called beta males or soyboys.

• No. It isn't forbidden. It should be the same for both.

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls say and want many things, that doesn't make them right.

0|0
    0|1
  • It's not forbidden per say, most guys are just not very open minded about that sorta thing

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not, playing the victim is.

0|0
    0|0
  • That's ridiculous.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because society teaaches it

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Gender expectations

0|0
    0|0
  • Bullshit

0|0
    0|0
  • WTF which bitch says that

0|0
    0|0
  • Men are less emotional and require less support.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a pride and stubbornness thing for me

0|0
    0|0
  • Effect to people

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a sign of weakness an cowards

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I guess we think that guys don't need it/or they don't want to talk about it or we are just stupid😂

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls don’t like it in guys, guys don’t mind it in girls.

0|0
    0|0
  • It was never forbidden in fact if you make a poll for this one you will find out that most girls wish there partners would open up to them so they can provide them with that emotional support there is nothing more attractive than a "strong guy" or the ones who never feel or talk about there emotions opening up about needing your emotional support

0|0
    0|0
    • Exactly, it's only good if "strong guys" do it, not the majority of regular guys. Only the top males get that right.

• Show All
    • The original point is it was forbidden, it must not be that forbidden if you agree not all women don't give emotional support to there partner

• I also made the point that it’s not meant in absolute terms so stop treating it like it’s meant in absolute terms.
      Forbidden is hyperbole for generally not acceptable.

• I believe its the gender roles. Like people believe men should be strong and etc, while womens should site around and look pretty. I don't think it's right at all. When males, get rape , people dont seem to care about it, like it dous'nt matter. It's not okay at all.

0|0
    0|0
    • But why do girls encourage it? Girls actively punish males who open up to them instead of being dominant leaders

• I don't know, they like following the crowd is " so much easer". It is hard to be different, but at least you are being real.

Recommended myTakes