Why is it forbidden for males to want emotional support?

Girls say guys must be self sufficient with happiness and that they should never look to their partner for hapoiness, but why is it fine for girls to want that from males?

1533

Most Helpful Girl

• It's our culture i guess. Boys are born with the same emotions and emotional responses as girls. Society tells us that men have to be 'strong' so they can protect the 'weak' women. Emotions are seen as weak and so become permissible for women to feel, but not men. These double standards really really make me angry. For men, they are destructive and dehumanizing and for women they are ALSO destructive and dehumanizing.

I believe in equal rights for all genders. If it's okay for women to show emotion, so should men. If a man can go topless, so should a women. If a women can own a cute tiny dog and not have someone challenge her about it, so should men. If a man can get a job with a good salary, a women should be able to get that same job with the same salary. If a women can punch a man in the face because she's angry, well guess what? Same thing for a man.

• Men are definitely not as emotional as women.
      Boys may be almost as emotional but by puberty the gap is sky wide.

• Girls often choose the men who never need support over ones who like to talk about their day and what not

Most Helpful Guy

• This is not true. Both men and women need emotional support. It is blatantly wrong to say that men are forbidden to receiving an emotional support from women.
    Now, if you need a shoulder to cry on when things go particularly bad, doesn't the guy expect a same response when he is feeling low. Just because men are apparently strong, doesn't mean they don't struggles with emotional outbursts. And if they turn to their spouse to gain a support, a feeling of togetherness, that is not something to be frowned upon. In fact when a couple is actively sharing their physical, social, familial burdens, supporting them through good and bad times and still holding on to one another, becoming each others pillows to cry on and being the best friends, that is an indication of a strong marriage. That is what a successful marital life is all about.