Was I in the wrong?

I use OKCUPID and this guy I was talking to he had everything I was looking for a nice personality, looking for a long term relationship, etc. He is 28 but has none of his schooling or even discusses what he does on his profile as a living for a 28 year old. I noticed his entire profile was all about finding a girlfriend but I wanted to know if this person had any goals. So when he messaged me I kindly answered but I was rather blunt and pointed out he did not list or talk about any of his goals and I was curious what they were. I told him I am seeking someone who has pursued an education it didn’t matter to me where at one point they were up to but because of him not mentioning it at all made me concerned for his age. Because I don’t want to date someone who is just about the person their dating. So when I asked he gave me very short responses about it and felt I was shallow because I asked if he was going to school. But isn’t that important? Most people list their education why would that be a secret? Am I wrong?

0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• No. That's really creepy and sketchy. He probably didn't answer because he was hiding something. Maybe he was older then he said he was, maybe he wasn't looking for a real relationship. Either way you didn't do anything wrong.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah when I asked he was like I’m majoring in poli sci in transferring in poli sci and I asked him where he goes to school bluntly and he said he lost interest because I am “shallow” lol for caring about his education basically.

• I think you're fine, unless he's a dropout and felt intimidated, or a troll, as I understand there are many of those people on dating websites

0|0
    0|1
    • Yeah I said to him “look I am going to be blunt I am seeking someone who has pursued an education. Since I do not see it listed or you discuss it on your profile I would like to know if you are in school?” How is that shallow for me to want someone at the level I pursued a degree? You don’t have to be at my level but knowing you have goals and aspirations is something I want in another person. I didn’t wanna waist his time or my time if i noticed what he had wasn’t what I was looking for.

• Show All
    • Did he list his work or anything?

• No he didn’t list anything related to work. All he listed was that he does not smoke, his sign, his age, location, and him liking females.

• Nothing wrong with what you did...

If he took offence, perhaps it's in the phrasing...

You're entitled to seek what you want... Just remember to be nice about it...

Next time... Maybe use yourself as the discussion... Like...
    I really hope to be with someone who is progressive in education or active in advancing in his job... I myself want to continue my education and someone who doesn't value it as highly might not understand...

Something like that and most people will know if they should retreat or move forward...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes