Any ideas what this means?

So recently I’ve been speaking to this guy. I think he’s a really nice guy. He was really interested in me. Then all of a sudden his messages are sending mixed signals: If any men can share an insight into what he could possibly mean by these messages as I’m still waiting for him to text back and the anxiety is too much!

Convo:

Me: you look good though
Him: hmmm I feel like you’re just saying that because eventually you will have to (flirt emoji)
Me: I’m saying it because I genuinely think it
Him: i wonder if you’re a player
Me: me? A player? I should ask you that question
Him: not so much a player. But your feelings could be on lockdown. Hence why you might be playing
Me: no usually the opposite. I feel too much then get played.
Him:I can’t read you well
Me: you don’t trust me I suppose?
Him: lol no it’s just that I don’t want to be so eager

WHAT DOES HE MEAN BY THAT LAST MESSAGE?

29

Most Helpful Guy

• Hey. Calm down :) You're jumping way too serious when he's just teasing you. I don't see any sort of "mixed" signals. He first tried to imply that you're the one chasing him (teasing), then he defended himself from being the player. Then you confessed that you're the one that usually get played and he says the he read you wrong about that.
    The last message means that he doesn't want to be viewed as needy, that's all. Keep things going and try to lead the conversation to something else. Don't mind that.

• If I could show you the rest of the conversation you’d understand a bit better. He seems very cautious for some reason. He is either trying to break away or is trying to find out how I’m feeling 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Maybe I haven’t been as expressive as he’d like. I don’t know. I’m a bit guarded at first. Definitely no mixed signals from me though. He had expressed in the past that he thinks he’s punching above his weight and that he thought I didn’t like him

• I’ve always been clear with him though. And that’s that I am interested.

Most Helpful Girl

• maybe he is trying to figure out if you're just messing with him, and he doesn't want to take it too seriously, but in case you're not, he's trying to let you know that he is going to try to be 'cool' and get a bit of time before he has to say anything seriousish

• Yeah maybe, but he’s the one that’s always come across more interested than me. If I could show you our conversations then you’d understand what I mean!

• aww thats so cute!! maybe like tell him stuff you worry about, or even just make something up, like say you get really worried when people dont reply but you don't really want to sound eager either, and he might feel less awkward if he thinks you feel weird sometimes too

• Good idea. Thank you so much for your perspective!