The guy I am dating is losing his job, and has been very distant. Advice?

I recently started seeing a guy again that I used to date. We originally stopped dating because he traveled a lot for work, and was working crazy hours. He came back to me saying he wants another job and wants to stay local so he can settle into a relationship. He has a few more days left until he is jobless, and he has been very very distant. Everything is great the few times that we are together, but then he just goes dark for days, leaving me confused. I understand that I cannot be his priority until he has a job set in stone, and we talked about this, but I feel each week the communication dwindles more. I have been very patient and want him to know I am there for him, but I don't know how much longer I can take if he doesn't try or communicate with me. Any Advice?
Well he was able to post on FB him going out with friends. Does this advice still apply? Should I reach out asking what’s happening, or wait?

218

Most Helpful Girl

• Just find out what he wants to do. He may not feel at his best so it's going to be hard to give you the best. Let him know you are willing to help him however you can and you are willing to back off if that is what he prefers. If he doesn't give you an answer you are just going to have to step up and help him in a way that is natural for you. Support him based on what your instincts tell you to do. Then let him know look sir this is what having a supportive woman by your side looks. You are a man a great man and you may not have a job lined up but you will get one and it will be ok I'm here for you and not going anywhere.

• Him going out with friends and being a good boyfriend to you are different things. I think the advice still applies

• So we are not official that is why I am wondering how much to give and wait. Thank you for your advice!

• Ohh ok I thought this was your boyfriend... girl just be his friend and date around. If he wants to have more with you he will let you know.

Most Helpful Guy

• Losing your job for a man is like losing your nuts.
    It's emasculating.
    Doesn't help women often drop you soon as you lose a job, or at the very least start looking for "other options".
    Best thing you can do is prove you aren't shallow, and willing to tough it out with him. Avoiding the situation is literally the worst thing you can do.

• Thank you. What are ways I would be avoiding the situation? I haven’t spoken to him in a few days since he hasn’t answered me so I figured that’s my way of respecting his space, I hope it doesn’t come off as avoidance.

• Got it, thank you. Just need to swallow my pride and reach out.

• Yes you should still reach out. He's probably trying to distract himself from depression.