Hooking up with someone while you're "talking" to someone else?

I started talking to this guy a few weeks before summer break. I don't really know where I stand with him, but I guess I'll call it talking -- meaning I like him, we text every day, and I spent a lot of time with him (publicly and privately), but we never expressed our feelings, set boundaries, or ever discussed a potential relationship. I'm also trying to take it slow, because I won't see him until the fall semester and I'm relationship oriented; in the past I've made myself unavailable because I was talking to someone, or have felt really guilty for keeping my options open. Basically acting like I was in a relationship before we were "official".

What is the general stance on hooking up with someone while you're "talking" to someone else, if nothing was established? Is it considered cheating, frowned upon, or just keeping your options open/having fun? Not just for me, but for him as well.

02