How to stop feeling like you need a relationship?

I’m 24 and I’ve never had a boyfriend before, I’ve always wanted a relationship but not being in one has made me feel very unhappy, how do I stop these feelings of needing a companion to be happy and stop being jealous of other people’s relationships?

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Simply put:
    -remind yourself that you are valid on your own.
    -remind yourself that relationships aren’t all good, they are filled with disappointment, fights and unhappy periods too.
    -remind yourself that just because society tells you you need to be in one, doesn’t mean you need to be in one.
    -focus on other things.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Well if you're that old and have never experienced a relationship that might be a feeling you can quench only by exploring your curiosity. I say find a boyfriend let him ruin your life and then you'll see why men aren't that great. I just focus on my own personal growth and work towards goals that keep me so distracted I sometime forget to go outside. But then it's hard to break the habit because you might end up being single until you're fifty.

0|0
    1|1
  • This is one of the reasons i found this app and have a broad online life. I've been in a couple relationships, more recently seperated from being married. For me i find that just having companionship and like interests from people who you have no past with helps those feelings. And who knows, maybe one of those people will turn into something more.

0|0
    0|0
  • I Feel the same way. Best thing to do is to focus on something else (hobby/carrier/family). The right guy will find you when he sees you are secure with yourself.

This is advice that I'm still working on myself, so I'm still waiting. Until then, I'm just making sure to have all my responsibilities taken care of, so I can be in position to take care of a girlfriend when the time comes. Good luck to ya!

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly i dont know cause im in the same place right now too, never had a girlfriend and been shoot down enough to know that no one really is gonna truly Care about me or how i feel, the only thing i can do is focus on myself before giving my trust and love to someone else so im just working out and yoga helps too and eating healthy is good too. Keep ya head up cause your not alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think the reason that guys only want sex is because break ups hurt like hell. Just have sex with a guy that would also want to casually cuddle and watch a movie, maybe take you on a date and move on. After my first relationship I'd rather just hang out, fuck, and move on. Yeah it sucks because I'd much rather have a meaningful relationship but break ups (especially ones with long term relationships) hurt like a mother fucker, worse feeling I can imagine under watching your first born die.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely don't ever rush into one, cause then you might be with someone you'll realize you didn't really want to be with, but will feel obligated to stay in it because you don't want to be back alone. Been there recently, still trying to get used to being alone again.

0|0
    0|0
  • What I would suggest is.. Since you have never been into relation u would probably not have experienced it.. give time you may get into one then u may like it or may not.. but u will never be unsure of how it works... And if you don't like to get into one then set up goals work hard harder so it becomes ur new relation

0|0
    0|0
  • You have to find smth that birngs joy. Im 19, never been in relationship. But I have amazing friends and many hobbies. I used to be sad also, but it all changed when I realised that you can't depend on other people as the source oh happiness. It actually depends on what you think, whats in your mind and heart. I love books, nature, sports and animals. I started to spend more time with my dog, playing outside, traveling with friends instead of looking for potential boyfriend. And after I finally felt that Im happy with my life, it all changed. Guys started to pay more attention to me, they said "you look like happiness, your are glowing, always smiling" and etc. You have to find harmony in yourself.

0|1
    0|0
    • don't u want a boyfriend

• Show All
    • i know, nobody is here to friends on GAG but sometimes we don't know where true friends comes from

• can we chat privately

• I just focus on myself and what matters to me. If I'm alright and the people that matter to me are alright then I'm fine from there. Relationships for me just naturally happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Self love and inner peace is where you should start i think. Being single, you have to be comfy with being alone 1st. Thats when you do most of your self discoveries & growth. Love yourself first darling ❤

0|0
    0|0
  • No answer we give will fix that for you. We're hardwired to want companionship. I do however recommend looking into Philosophy. It's better to learn to make yourself happy, and then bring a happy and complete you to a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • You could just go for a walk with a guy friend and talk to him about the problems you've been having walking helps talking helps and a friend of the oppiset sex that has no biaest opinion helps a lot

0|1
    0|0
  • Through self love, self acceptance and realizing you’re idealistic about love and relationships. It’s not easy but gotta be done

0|0
    0|0
  • You know what I would give you I really good answer for that but honestly I'm going through the same thing even though I'm younger

0|1
    0|0
  • Social media can be very hypnotizing. Give your self a break from your friends relationship ship posts. Focus on you. Surely good things will come your way

0|0
    0|0
  • It's part of our DNA it's human nature to want companionship you can't stop this however you can work on your bself and find things that individually make you happy

0|0
    0|0
  • Because you need to experience it yourself
    Have you tried asking one if your male friends out?
    Or maybe a dating site

0|0
    0|0
    • I don’t have any male friends and most guys on dating sites want sex. The guys I’ve dated so far only just wanted sex, they are all from college. I haven’t been fortunate in meeting someone who wanted a relationship:/

• Show All
    • I’ve been patient for nearly 25 years, how long do I have to wait? I don’t want to still be 40 years old and single

• Then honestly you're gonna have to lower your standards

• I find it more shocking to hear of a girl being single this long compared to a guy because girls don't have to do the pursuing

0|0
    0|0
    • Guys want sex and girls want relationships though

• Its natural to have feelungs for having a companion... it's seems u r very strong alone and happy that makes u even more good person to have partner... because u will not have issues like other have like trust issues... insecurities etc... think positive and make relations and what a person can have best investment is good relationships... and only relationships help u out when u in need... money cannot buy everything nor being alone u can get everything... meet people make friends.. give someone to access u emotionally u will get a companion u want

0|0
    0|0
  • Love yourself, find you and what you like, be a complete you, before looking for another completely different person

0|0
    0|0
  • You just wrote what I wanted to write... same age as well

0|0
    0|0
  • Be happy by yourself. Instead of looking for relationships, look for hobbies.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fuck people. After a while, you'll get a relationship because you're not looking for it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Self love find things u enjoy and start wondering why u feel so heavily for somthing u have not had

0|0
    0|0
    • I only feel bad because everyone my age has experienced a relationship and I just feel like I’m not attractive or good enough for someone to fall in love with me

• Show All
    • That’s true but the prettiest girls will be more likely to be in a relationship, all the time guys around always went for the skinny brunette or blonde girl

• Not always true as o my confident guys will approach them ad beautiful girls usually turn down moat guys so some guys go for girls that look average

• So you. Wannabe bulletproof monk. its not crime to want relationship but jealousy is.

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel the same way. I am 23 and never had an actual girlfriend.

0|0
    0|0
  • Find your happiness outside of a relationship. You define your happiness, not your relationship

0|0
    0|0
  • I absolutely empathize with you.. it's beginning to put me in and out of depression

0|0
    0|0
  • You should try to make a boyfreind of your own age (i am not talking about me...)

0|0
    0|0
  • Focus on starting a business

0|0
    0|0
  • F W B

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't

0|0
    0|0
  • Easy!