My boyfriend can't tie his shoes?

He is 23 years old and he can't tie his shoes laces and tucks the laces into his socks. I feel so mean that is bothers me so much. I tried to help him and show him how to do it a different way but he wasn't bothered. I know I can't do anything about it but I'm kinda annoyed at myself for being bothered.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I wonder if this is the case because he's rarely worn shoes that required shoelaces or someone always did it for him. It's easy to get it down once you figure out the pattern with your finger movements so it almost seems like he can't be bothered to learn it or he already knows but is just too lazy to do it. I can see why this frustrates you since it's a basic skill to learn!

1|0
    0|0
    • He's always worn shoes with laces. Even when he wears smart shoe's for a wedding he still tucked them into his socks. It shouldn't bother me as much as it does but it just makes me feel like he's more my kid then my boyfriend.

• Show All
    • No as sometimes it is more like I'm dating a child compared to a young man. He's mother left when he was little and I feel sorry for him but sometimes it is more like I'm dating a teenager. We kinda argued a few weeks ago there wasn't a right or wrong answer but he kept say he was right so I told him I'm gonna go home and he cried until I stayed.

• He has to learn that a relationship is a two-way street. Both partners should be carrying an equal amount of responsibility and making the effort to cooperate and compromise. It doesn't sound like he's a bad person; he just needs some guidance to build independence and that not everything can go his way. It seems like your patient enough to wait for him which means you do have faith in him! I just hope he matures so you can have a more comfortable relationship with him.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, that's embarrassing. It doesn't take a genius to learn and do something so easy and even with eyes closed. I hope he's not as helpless doing other tasks.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• ... That's just sad. I don't know how to tie a tie very well, but I actually stop and ask people to show me. Funny thing is many people don't know how to tie a freaking tie.
    However with tying shoes, if I didn't know how to I'd be up for someone showing me.

1|0
    0|0
  • You see, that's one of those things that I never would've thought of as a possible dealbreaker, but now that you bring it up, I think it'd be a total dealbreaker for me.

1|0
    0|0
    • It wasn't an issues until I walked in on his dad tying his shoes for him.

• Yeah, witnessing something like that would kill any sort of attraction I once felt for someone. There's just nothing attractive about a grown adult having their daddy tie their shoes.

• Hey. I still can't properly tie my tie when things call for wearing one. I find it adorable if a girl can do that for me.

But yeah. Probably should learn at some point. I think it is better to treat this as a funny incident and something to poke fun of after he learned how.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't see the problem with it. As long as he tucks them in he won't trip over them. It does the same thing as tying them does.

If it bugs you tell him, but if he flat out refuses to learn I don't think it should matter that much. After all, it's his shoes.

0|0
    0|0
    • It didn't bug me as much until I walk in on his dad tying his shoes for him.

• Oh, that's a little weird. I'd say if you won't learn it yourself, don't ask someone else to do it for you. Basic principle, and ya, he's probably a little too old for that anyways..

• My parent's and both my sister's used to tie my shoe's. I had a middle school teacher who showed me how to tie my own shoe's with one hand because I was born with only the use of one hand. I can't use my right hand.

1|0
    0|0
  • Have you got a boyfriend or a kid to raise?

1|0
    0|0
  • wow just wow. I started tying my shoes at age 6..

0|0
    0|0
  • Laces are hard to tie. I can't tie either.

0|0
    0|0
  • You need a new boyfriend 👀

1|0
    0|0
  • Do it for him? Or just buy him shoes with scratch.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are you sure he's not just too lazy to tie it?

0|0
    0|0
    • He has told me out right that he doesn't know how to tie a shoe. It a wasn't that much of a big deal until I walked in on his dad tying it for him.

• No way

0|0
    0|0
  • If it bothers you that much dump him an move on.

0|0
    0|0
  • Okay, cool.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes