My boyfriend is more emotional then I am, how do I tell him I struggle with it because I'm not that emotional?

I have some emotional issues and I really struggle with dealing with emotions.
The guy I am seeing is my first boyfriend at 23 whereas I’m his sixth girlfriend. When we first started talking to each other I told him about my issues and he told me that he has similar issues for different reasons. He went on to tell me that the other five girls he dated were horrible people they cheated on him and treated him badly so he became emotionally switched off like me.
We had been dating for about three months now and I’m still struggling with being emotional. He went from being mature to very clingy and needy and it is being to get a bit too much for me, I tried to talk to him about it but he’ll say I don’t love him as much as he loves me or he’ll cry and tell me that I’m gonna leave him like his mother did. If I rush a text and don’t put a smiley emoji on it he’ll bombard my phone telling me there is something wrong with me and even if I tell him there isn't anything wrong he’ll keep asking if I’m sure.
He saw me briefly be emotional when I was due on my period and ever since then it's like he’s been trying to spark an emotional response. I’ve been on my period twice since then both times after we spoke about me being due on he tried to get me to be emotional once by writing me a sweet poem another time we had an argument. I know it’s probably him just being nice but I’m still trying to feel my way through my first relationship but I don’t want to waste his time either.
This whole thing must sound like a giant mess and advice would be so welcome!

02