Why is this 'friends with benefits' thing suddenly so popular? Why can't men just 'court' women the old fashioned way any more?

Did it start with Hollywood making ir popular through films?

Surely it's a messy odd way to compilcate your love life?

What happened to good old fashioned dating people you like and then hopefully marrying them? Rather than this use and abuse culture where you just care about your own instant pleasure and to hell with others and their feelings.

I think it is destructive to friendships, relationships and family values. I know everyone will have their own opinion on this but I can imagine these arrangements causing a lot of confusion and heartache.

06

Most Helpful Guy

• Because relationships are extremely complicated nowadays. Because of the new open and connected world, people are always trying to make their way in the world by working hard. This could also mean that they might have to move to another country/state because of their work, and they won't like to factor relationship into account.

Apart from this, highly biased and expensive divorces, have already scared the men to death of being married to wrong person and being chained for the rest of the life, even after divorce.

All these factors, makes the relationship really difficult. But people do have sexual desires. Hence friends with benefits is easier and convenient way for bith parties to be free ofsuch commitments.

• You've given a nice rounded answer but you'd think people would want companionship and emotional connection at some point. It's all a bit depressing really.

• A valid question.

Before it used to be that a certain age range was only feasible to find a partner/mate. After that it used to be extremely difficult.

But nowadays, due to high amount of divorces, it is easier to find such mate for companionship at any phase in life. Hence, people are not in hurry to do this. They try to accomplish life goals, until late in their lives.

By then, people are used to being single, and learn to be content with being alone. Hence, it is nit necessary anymore to find such companionship.