If a guy asks for you to go travelling with him, does that mean he's interested?

A coworker of mine has mentioned a few times he wants to go backpacking around South America. I'm really into travelling, but never really had the chance to do much of it because of work or money or my life situation in general. We've had really good conversations about our lives and talks of our childhood and dreams and the future. I feel like we really connect. But we're both really shy people.

A month ago, I found out he was leaving the company, and we had a long conversation about life again. I asked him what his plans were after he left, and in that conversation he brought up that next year he plans to travel South America for 3 months. I've never travelled alone so I felt really amazed and said I wish I could do something like that and just travel on my own. He then mentioned that I should come and that it didn't have to be for the full 3 months, but maybe a couple of weeks if I could. I got excited and said yes, and he told me it'd be fun.. After our conversation, I felt anxious as though we were going on a trip together right away... but then I thought that maybe he just brought it up to be nice and didn't really mean for both of us to go together so I tried not to think much of it... but a few days later, he said he's been trying to learn Spanish and told me I should go learn too.. On one of his last days of work, I was sad since we wouldn't be working together anymore, and I was talking to him about his plans. He brought up South America again and said "You're coming, right?" and I said, "Yes. We'll plan it." So now I'm thinking, I guess he was actually serious in wanting to go with me.

Does it sound like he's interested in me? Or am I just overthinking a friendly offer to go backpacking as friends?

PS, he is definitely not a player and I don't think he's just looking to have "fun". We've known each other for quite some time and he's a really respectful and genuine guy. We're both the shy type, so I've always wondered if he liked me the way I liked him.

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Considering he's inviting you on a long trip outside the country; if he's also paying for this trip too is a sure sign he is interested in you because why else would someone pay so much money on someone like that? Since he knows you love to travel, he thought it would be a lot more fun for you both to tag along instead of him going by himself. If you trust him enough and you both plan way ahead of what's to be expected on the trip such as places to stay, where you two plan to go each day, work out a budget plan and such, this can be a very memorable experience!

He is such a gentleman to offer you an experience as this one! This is definitely something a friend wouldn't usually do since travelling is not cheap. I get the feeling he could be very interested in you!

Most Helpful Girl

• Can't be 100% sure but it does seem like he is interested, yes.