Does a guy with anger issues deserve another chance?

I dated a guy with combat PTSD and serious anger issues who at times was emotionally and verbally abusive to me. It's been over a year, he's gotten help, and has come a long way, without a single blowup in almost 6 months. Should I give him another chance, or has he shown his true colors, and it's just a matter of time before that side of him comes out again?

PS- I've known him since we were kids, and he was always the sweetest, most sensitive guy before the military, and I still see glimpses of that. Latest example? Getting his mom flowers on his birthday because he said she was the one who had to give birth to him and raise him haha

11