Opinions On Age Gap In A Relationship?

Back in Highschool I was a Grade higher than everyone else in my class and also had the earliest birthday in the school year. So I was easily the oldest in my class until I graduated. My senior year (19 almost 20..) while doing track and field there's was one girl who would always talk with me during practice. I never bothered to ask her age because of just our conversations and how mature she was, More mature than me me lol. Assumed she was a junior or sumthin. But at the end of the year I found out she was only a freshman 14. I was shocked and sure enough people started talking shit. Age is just a number In My Opinion. People always jump to thinking it's wired or suspicious for a older guy to be seeing a young girl but why? no bad intentions and wasn't effecting he academics. Just the easiest one to talk to about anything and enjoy it. No typical high school drama. I understand at that age she still gotta graduate still so yeah I stopped seeing her but it really shouldn't have had to happen like that. When people in there 30's and up you start seeing age gaps around 7 years apart. Maybe I'm just butthurt, feeling some type of way because of how she's being treated now by a typical highschool guy. If no one knew the ages everything would still be 💯 as far as I know. What's your opinions on the age dif? Besides the fact that she was still in school cause i wasn't hindering her health grades or sports. And obviously I wasn't gonna lay the pipe for a few reasons.
1- I didn't want to accidently end up getting her preg when she hasn't finished school,
2- that's not what was on my mind like it is for most people
3- if it were to happen people would spread false rumors.
So yeah opinions? Tips to help high schoolers who may be in similar position? Appreciate it.

10