Am I wasting my time with my ex-girlfriend?

She insisted she just wanted to be friends after I tried to get her back a few times. Fast forward a few months- we eventually studied abroad in the same city (plans were made while dating) and became best friends again. We'd spend time together for several hours just about every day whether that be shopping, sightseeing, we'd get dinner together almost every night, and even went on a few trips together (two just her and I, two her I and her roommate). Towards the beginning, we ended up hooking up one night and she insisted it was a mistake, embarrassed, can't happen again, blah blah blah. Then, it continued to happen and we eventually basically became friends with benefits. She freaked out one day and said I was getting feelings and couldn't handle it so we stopped for a week or two but just fell right back into it.

Towards the end of the semester (after about two months), we were acting like we were literally dating. I'd stay over at her place, we'd cuddle, kiss outside of sex, etc. My program ended a few weeks before hers (she's still overseas). Before I left, we had a mini talk about "us" where she said she is down to casually date but wants to be able to date other people over the summer. I'm not sure if that's significant, as on one hand women take time to develop feelings, let alone with an ex, and it seems like she slowly started to open up to me (went from only wanting to be platonic to casually dating), but on the other hand she could just see me as something casual until someone she sees as better comes along.

So, should I just wait for her to come back home and let her initiate most of the hanging out, etc. and see what happens over the summer? I'm not entirely sure how I feel. I know I'm open to re-exploring a relationship with her as a lot of time has passed and I've reflected on our shortcomings quite a bit but I'm definitely not crazy for her like I used to be.

Left out a lot of details but hope it doesn't affect how things look. Opinions are appreciated.

01