Have you ever been manipulated by someone? If so why and how?

69

Most Helpful Girl

• Not really. I mean, yes, EVERYONE'S been manipulated. There's positive and negative manipulation, having to do with the way it affects others. Positive example: Parent's telling their kids about Santa.
    Negative example: Manipulating someone into give you their cookie.
    But, the biggest part of any manipulation, the person can't know they're being manipulated. If they know, even if everything goes according to plan, it's no longer a manipulation, it's a mentally consensual con in a way. An example: If the kid already knows there's no such thing as santa, but continues to behave as if there is a santa, they are accepting the con for other reasons. Same for the cookie.

Most Helpful Guy

• My ex manipulated me for years. We broke up five years ago and wherever she wants something from me she will either try to make out it's for our daughter and guilt trip me that way or dangle the prospect of us getting back together.

Neither works now - if my daughter needs something she will tell me directly and due to something my ex did recently, the idea of getting back with her sickens me. So can't manipulate me any more unless she finds a new way

• yeah but you still love her though. Thats the hard part i guess.

• Thats good but to be fair i still feel like you love her but i could be wrong you know. I dont know you well enough to assume that i feel like you're angry on the surface and you really want to let go of her but deep down in your heart you stil love her. And i mean icdont blame you she's the mother of your kid. I know its hard but i dont know i just feel like this. Again i might be completely wrong but its just a thought cause you make a reference to her often in your replies.

• I do still love her - in fact she's the only person I have ever really loved (had loads of girlfriends in the past). Annoyingly, she is the first thing I think about when I wake up and just being in her presence makes my heart flutter (sad old I know).

I wish could stop loving her and just concentrate on my daughters and my daughters but my brain stubbornly refuses to comply.

I seriously don't know what to do about myself because everything I have tried hasn't worked. She finds it funny and laughs with her friends that she can get me to do anything she wants. Trouble is, she's right that she can!