How expensive does a FIRST DATE have to get before you insist on SPLITTING the bill?

• Over 30 dollars
  • Over 50 dollars
  • Over 80 dollars
    Vote C
  • The man should pay no matter how expensive
    Vote D
TO CLARIFY.. The DATE started on the cheap. You guys decided together to keep the date going and grab dinner and more drinks. The bill at the end is much higher than anybody thought. Do you offer to split the bill? How much does it have to be for you to make that offer?

2739

Most Helpful Girls

• Sounds like a first date of a lifetime. So busy having fun that we both lose track of time and obviously how much the bill has come too. If I ever had a date like that, I would fucking pay the whole thing. Give him a kiss at the end of the night and say, next one is on you. Call me. That's how you handle that!

• I feel like the depends. Personally I feel that guy should pay for the first date but that's because I'm almost always asked out, I really never have asked a guy out.
    I'm ok with a first date being coffee or something inexpensive. If he wants me to split that, ok I guess.
    But if HE chooses a more expensive first date that is on him. I always make sure I'm able to cover my half should it come to that but I feel if I guy is trying to impress me that way when I was ok with something cheap then he should pay. I shouldn't have to pay for him trying to over do it.

• Lol at the blue downvotes. 😂
      To your update, that being the situation I'd offer. i don't know that I'd be overjoyed if he accepted my offer though, but at the same time I'm not about to drink more than a couple drinks. No one likes a sloppy date that turns into babysitting. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Cool.. thanks for the comment!

Most Helpful Guys

• If I ask a woman on a date, I assume that I am paying the entire bill for everything. I would not let the bill go beyond what I can afford. I never go on a date without being prepared to spend at least $100 and I would be prepared to spend $200 on a first date.

Most of my dates include a nice dinner and a few drinks afterwards: $75-100.

• You mean the man should insist on the woman paying for her share when the bill became too much? Or you mean when should the woman insist on paying her share because she feels guilty the bill got so high?

Tradition would dictate that the man would pay the bill. But at the same time he should be choose which location to invite her out to, whether or not to order a bottle of wine and how expensive a wine it should be (since that's the photo you picked), and whether or not to order a dessert for each of you, one dessert to share, or no dessert at all. Generally most meals are within a reasonable price range, and the man should know if the menu has a crazy expensive outlier like lobster or filet mignon or whatever. It's your money, do the research.

Feminism (the equality kind) would dictate both people pay their share of what they ate regardless of which date it was. Whoever did the asking out - could be the man or the woman - should also ask for input on locations, but otherwise the asker would pick the location.

So hopefully the man knows enough about the woman he's asking out (besides her looks) to tell whether she prefers the traditional or the feministic (equal) approach, and will consider restaurant choices based on the general price range they can afford, the input of the woman he asked, and whether or not he can hope for her help with her part of the check in the case of a feministic (equal) approach.

• Well so far almost every answer is based on logic yours included. Very sterilized.. very clinical approaches. Why can't two people have the night of their life on a first date. A date so awesome that they lose track of time, track of the bill, etc. Two people who just had a great time and they end up with a bill that directly coincides with that great time. Both realize what has just gone down.. the bill is high. Does either of them insist on splitting the bill or is it just always left up to the guy? That is what I am really trying to get at.. that is also why I updated the question. Thanks for your input and comment.

• Well that's probably because a lot of factors go into it based on what they believe, personal financial situation, and the actual bill.

For example, if your guy believes heavily in a gentlemanly value system, he won't let her pay the bill under any circumstance.

Or if your woman was strongly into third-wave feminism, she would expect to pay her half and if he didn't allow her to, he'd never see a second date or even get to take her home.

And if these two were in the date together, they'd fight over it until they couldn't stand eachother despite the awesome night, and the waiter would get a 50% tip - because he'd pay 100% and she'd leave her 50% on the table out of spite.

So that's why it has to be clinical here, because it covers the issue from every side, and hopefully avoids an argument with someone here on G@G who holds different beliefs.

• Everyone will have different opinions. I am thankful for all of them and yours.