My parent's are not going to approve of my bf, what should I do?

Hi guys,
So I'm a 28 year old and I'm currently dating this 29 year old guy. We've been going out a few weeks now. The biggest problem here is my boyfriend is a Muslim. Although he is not a practicing Muslim, my parents have told me I am allowed to date anyone except a Muslim. I have previously dated a non practicing muslim as well and they were extremely unhappy and we had fights in the house everyday.

My current problem is my parents are currently paying for my university fees as I'm furthering my studies and would not have sufficient funds to do so myself so I feel like if I displease them in any way, I'm going to suffer for it. I've told my boyfriend that my parents are not going to ever approve and he says to just see how our relationship goes and not to worry about that yet.

Honestly I'm super worried about this relationship because what if it works out and comes to a stage where we might want to get married and my parents don't approve? What do I do next? I'm just worried I'm going to invest too much in something that may ruin my entire relationship with my family, but I do see this going somewhere with this guy.

I feel like there's no way out for me in this but I'd love to hear any opinion from anyone.

2459

Most Helpful Guys

• As an adult your parents should not be dictating your life. The reasons why they don't want you to date specifically a Muslim we shall leave to one side, but as someone in your twenties and fully capable of making your own decisions your parents should be supportive of you.
    My advice is you have a choice, want to stay with him? Move out, and stand up for yourself in a way that could cause some significant rifts. You don't want to stay with him, still move out as it looks like your parents REALLY need to let go.
    You got to go with what you think is best, but prepare for the consequences. Good luck

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • If your parents are still in control of everything you do, and you let them, best believe its never going to work out

You need to only do one thing. GET OUT OF THEIR HOUSE, lol

But as long as you`re under their roof, especially if they still pay everything for you, then best believe they are going to control everything

I mean, sweety, you`re 29, not 16, 18, or even 20. lol

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girls

• Sadly you need to choose. Either your family or this guy. Because despite your boyfriend being open-minded your parents aren't. Ultimately they are making you choose, either them or him. So take your pick, or take your chances in trying to convince your parents. Before doing that though, you should comprehend why they don't like Muslims or at least why they don't want you dating a Muslim. Once you know that you can figure out how to persuade them into at least giving him a chance. Best of luck!

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I'd keep it a secret untill your fees are all payed. It migth be a big sacrafice, especially to your boyfriend but if he really wants to be with you, this is the most Drama free way. When they can't hold the money against ypu anymore, you can tell them.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE