Is asking a guy out ok?

How would you feel if a girl did that?
  • Aggressive move looks desperate
  • Seems weird
  • Itโ€™s a good thing
    Vote C
  • Itโ€™s emasculates men
    Vote D
  • Just give him your number and wait for him to ask
    Vote E

45139

Most Helpful Guy

• For me it wouldn't be such a good idea to ask me out since if I was interested, I would have already asked. For shy guys, it might be a good idea, since they might have wanted to ask but couldn't find it in themselves to do so.

I think a woman needs to have her own share of initiative, but I see that more in the realm of flirting and indicating interest to help give signs to the other guy that you want him to ask you out. I don't necessarily see it as useful to offer yourself on a silver platter by asking him out.

I wouldn't always have the most noble intentions either if a girl asked me out. If I was like, "Hmm, I'm not really into her but she's offering herself to me", I might have utilized that at some point when I was young and not so noble to just pursue a sexual relationship and nothing more.

This might be kind of old-school thinking, but I still see society and even our sexual attraction being shaped by men pursuing and leading women, not the other way around. If the idea of a woman twirling a man in a dance, tipping him over, and planting a kiss seems odd, so too does it seem odd to me for a woman to be asking the man out.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • That said, if you're the type of girl who crushes on one guy and practically fall in love with him before even going on a single date with him and you're so obsessed with this one guy of your dreams and he's not making any moves, might as well ask him out instead of watching your life waste away. I don't recommend crushing like that, but if you're the type to do that and nothing's happening, you might as well make a move (if only to get rejected so that you can move on).

• Also if the girl asks the guy out, does she pay for the date? Does she lead him and choose where to go? Does he flirt and try as hard as possible to show signs of interest in hopes of her asking him out? How much does the classical roles and expectations reverse when we reverse the initial process of pursuit? Does it just even out to the point of like friends asking each other to hang out, only to split bills, only for neither of them to really take the lead? If the last option is the most desirable, how many women are into guys who don't take much initiative or lead during a date?

• Do women like that type of guy who's like, "I can't think of any place to go. Where do you want to go?" If so things have changed a lot since I was younger and dating, and maybe society is changing sufficiently enough to where each sex can pursue the other. If it's far short of reaching this point, however, I don't see it as having sufficiently changed enough for women to pursue men and initiate asking the date in a way that is to their ultimate benefit.