Do you think it’s a myth that you can’t be happy being alone?

Like can you truly be happy being alone. No relationships. No boyfriend or girlfriend. Just you doing things you like to do.

I have a lot of hobbies. I can keep myself distracted. Sometimes, I feel like I want someone though.

The thing is I was in an emotionally abusive relationship for years and it left me scarred. I really dont think I can ever trust anybody ever again.

So I’m just by myself. I don’t try to date nor do I ever plan to on any near future. I feel like I can die alone and be happy. Do you think it’s a myth that you can’t be happy being alone?
  • No, you need a special someone
  • Yes, society implants that idea that you need someone in your life when you really don’t.

2649

Most Helpful Girls

• You have to be happy being alone. Having a boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other should to add to your happiness not needed to be happy.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • You’re a very smart person for saying this.

• Agree. You made a great decision. Am glad you found love second time around. My grandma used to say God makes us date and marry wrong people to recognize the right person. Value you them later.

• Your Grandma is a wise woman. :)

• I'm so sorry you were in an abusive relationship.
    I beleive there's people who have enough will power/self control to live alone i. e. without a partner, but they're few.
    We're created to be social beings and we naturally crave intimacy and love.
    However being alone is better than being among bad people.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guys

• Considering you went through an abusive relationship, It’s understandable why you’ll consider being alone to be the best option. I think it’s the best for you anyways. Just use that time to self reflect and find out what you want to do.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • yeah it's a myth because I am learning at 14 that you have to learn how to be alone with yourself first.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE