Do you think it’s a myth that you can’t be happy being alone?

Like can you truly be happy being alone. No relationships. No boyfriend or girlfriend. Just you doing things you like to do.

I have a lot of hobbies. I can keep myself distracted. Sometimes, I feel like I want someone though.

The thing is I was in an emotionally abusive relationship for years and it left me scarred. I really dont think I can ever trust anybody ever again.

So I’m just by myself. I don’t try to date nor do I ever plan to on any near future. I feel like I can die alone and be happy. Do you think it’s a myth that you can’t be happy being alone?
  • No, you need a special someone
    Vote A
  • Yes, society implants that idea that you need someone in your life when you really don’t.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• You have to be happy being alone. Having a boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other should to add to your happiness not needed to be happy.

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • You’re a very smart person for saying this.

• Show All
    • Agree. You made a great decision. Am glad you found love second time around. My grandma used to say God makes us date and marry wrong people to recognize the right person. Value you them later.

• Your Grandma is a wise woman. :)

• I'm so sorry you were in an abusive relationship.
    I beleive there's people who have enough will power/self control to live alone i. e. without a partner, but they're few.
    We're created to be social beings and we naturally crave intimacy and love.
    However being alone is better than being among bad people.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Considering you went through an abusive relationship, It’s understandable why you’ll consider being alone to be the best option. I think it’s the best for you anyways. Just use that time to self reflect and find out what you want to do.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah it's a myth because I am learning at 14 that you have to learn how to be alone with yourself first.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 24

• It's definitely a myth. We're told from an early age that you have to be married and have a "true love" in order to be truly happy but that's such BS. My mom has been in multiple marriages and was never happy. Now she's single and she is happier than I've seen her in a long time. There's no such thing as a "true love" or a "soul mate". It's all just fairytale bs

0|1
    0|0
  • I feel like everyone should have a lifelong platonic bestie to get through life. But If that counts as a relationship, then I’d have to say no. It’s not possible 😏

1|2
    0|0
  • You can be happy being single. That’s a personal decision. Whether society tells you trends and so forth, people are okay with either going single and/or being with someone. Everyone’s got different preferences on their lives and what they want in it.

0|0
    0|0
  • The thing is that you say “ I fee like I want someone though” which means your conflicted about the whole matter. My best advice is to be open to the possibility’s but for now focus on your self and what makes you happy. Hope that helped :)

0|2
    0|0
  • Well in my opinion if you are single and happy its good and be like that until u find one right person and you are convinced that yes i can put my trust in her but yes take it slow so that if ever u meet one u can know her well before taking further steps rest is all upon you :)

0|0
    0|0
  • From my personal experience, being happy while lonely lasts only for some time, eventually you will start looking for someone to share your emotions and feelings with

0|0
    0|0
  • You could be alone, romantically, and be happy. Only if you have friends and family. Now if you don't have close friends or family, at least, then no I don't think anyone could be happy in that situation.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes its absolutely a myth. I know many single people who have been single their entire lives by choice and love it

0|2
    0|0
    • that's horrible

being single is definitely not a choice for me
      I've been trying to break that status ever since

• Show All
    • @DaMack999 yeah I am sort of fun to be around,
      but that can be improved for me

• Lol welcome President Trump joke

• You don’t need to have a boyfriend necessarily but I feel like you do need someone special or people to encourage you at times I don't know just my opinion

0|1
    0|0
  • You need to take a break for now and spend time on your own. You’ll heal overtime and meet some great people that would regain your trust. Just because someone hurt you, it would be unfair to not give a chance to others but sometimes you need a break so take your time

0|0
    0|0
  • I am so so sorry about what happened to you. No one deserves what happened to you. I realize words probably don't really mean that much but I am so sorry you had to go through that. Honestly everyone is probably scarred in their own way whether that be emotionally or physically. If you aren't already, I think that you should just take some time by yourself and just take care of yourself for a bit. It's okay if you don't want to look for a relationship anytime soon - relationships aren't something that everyone wants or needs. Surround yourself with people who you love and trust like your friends and family, take care of yourself and keep moving forward!

To answer the question, I don't think that you NEED to have a relationship in order to be happy. If you're happy with yourself and are surrounded by people who love you, support you and lift you up when you're down, I think that you can be extremely happy without being in a relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the person. But yes some people may even prefer it.

0|1
    0|0
  • I could, but I wouldn't want to. I prefer having someone by my side.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ig one is happy within themself, they could be alone

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm totally like you and I'm okay

0|1
    0|0
  • It's possible

0|0
    0|0
  • It's most definitley a myth.

0|0
    0|0
  • People are meant to socialize tho

0|0
    0|1
    • You don't have to socialize 24/7. Not everyone gets happiness from socializing.

• Aw. It's possible because as long as you you can love yourself and respect yourself you'll be able to achieve many things.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you need relationships with people but they don't have to be romantic or sexual.

0|2
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 47

• Look, as long as you don't feel lonely and don't need anyone then it's true. But the only person that I knew who didn't need anyone was and still is nobody. Even if you try to lie to yourself, it doesn't change the fact the we all need someone in our life as you may eventually understand. Because then what would make it a life when you live with no one and for no one? What would be your purpose? Why would you do anything? You would become insane. If you become insane you lose it, and that's not the natural case and how it should be. You can be happy being alone, but not truly happy. Even the people who want to be alone actually want to find someone they would love and be loved by. They just give up or make themselves believe that it's not necessary, toxic or less important than other goals (for instance to be successful or gain knowledge). Also, we all are trying to survive so we all would like to find someone that we can trust that can protect us or make our live better just by being there.

0|0
    0|0
    • A short- you can be happy, but not truly 100% happy like you theoretically could be at a point in time if you weren't lonely.

• u might think ur happy but u need interaction... u can do w/o romantic rarely people can even do without friends but humans need to socialize and be mentally challenged, technology and tricks only get u so far, in the end u will always find ur "happiness" is not real

0|2
    0|0
    • True all other people are just in denial.

• Show All
    • no... i agree with u whole-heartedly, i meant some people think that they can be happy alone... but in the end, from my experiences anyways, they eventually realize it was only a temporary fix... no better than an illusion, everyone needs at least someone to socialize with at least to be manageable... and at least one person they can trust to vent to even if not for advice

• ps... ty for the HONEST FEEDBACK :)

• My first relationship ended a little over a year ago and at first I used to think I'd never be happy again and that she was everything. But when it comes down to it she left me not the other way around. And I'm honestly happy being alone now. I do me and dont uave any drama or another person to worry about. I do what I want when I want and yet sometimes your gonna feel lonely but 95% of the time I'm good and happy

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm totally content on my own. The addition of someone to care for and love is totally additional. I live and care for her greatly, but if no one was to exist who would want to spend their life with me. I am confident I could fill my life with aspiration and fulfillment.

0|1
    0|0
  • People in here are as dumb as a rock. If society implanted we need people to be happy. Why do people go depressed or suicidal when isolated from the world. Like prison isolation. Is torture for a reason. Human are social human beings.

1|1
    0|1
    • Haha yes exactly, although girls seem to think differently here.

• We are biologically wired to try to reproduce. There is no getting away from it. There will always be that emptiness. You can do a lot to make the emptiness smaller, but it'll always be present.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, your feeling that you are "incomplete" without a spouse is an idea that the culture industry planted in your head. You can live without this person. You cannot, however, be happy alone. Humans are social creatures, and you simply will not survive by yourself. Just because you aren't having sex with these people doesn't mean that they can't be equally or more fulfilling relationships.

0|0
    0|0
  • A big problem today is that many people just date for the sake of dating. They might not like the person their dating all that much, but they think that's better than being alone. I'd rather live the life I want to and if an S/O can get involved in that life naturally, awesome.

0|0
    0|0
  • Something left me scared too and i used to think that way, but when my actual best friend started to be closer to me, i realized that i was lying to myself.
    Sometimes i see some people talking about this and saying that they "can do it" alone, but at least i'm very convinced that she really boost up my whole life and makes me better.
    Maybe i dont need her or maybe do, but for me thats not the point of a decision like that

0|0
    0|0
  • People who say you can't be happy alone fall into two camps. Either they are too afraid to be alone and they'd rather be in mediocre relationships constantly, or they are married and miserable trying to recruit you to their miserable club

0|0
    0|0
  • We all started out in this world as children and in most case exluding twins of various denominations we grew up alone in a way. And during our free time we played and spaced out used our imagination to the fullest which society has tainted. But thats another story entirely...

0|0
    0|0
  • Everybody who answered this is 45 and under and that's okay (considering I am 19) but ask this to a group of 55-75 year olds and they'll let you know exactly what's wanted in your future. Believe me. I have seen this with my own divorced parents, once they got to 55 they were both miserable and alone with no spouse. It wasn't until they met someone of their age that they could love and care for that they were happy again and they are both single again and let me tell you they are right back at 55.

2|1
    0|0
  • When you die, only you die and it doesn’t matter who is around you.

1|2
    0|0
  • Cabin fever is a condition for those that are alone and so is social anxiety.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like the feeling being known and understood. Sometimes I felt lonely even with my friends because I was hiding something. If one is truly open to another one and be intimate with and I think it is what the happiness is.

0|0
    0|0
  • I personally don't think I can be happy alone. It may be true for some people that they can be happy alone, but I need someone to experience life with to be truly happy.

0|0
    0|0
  • boyfriend GFs are liabilities. You are so rich when you are by yourself with all the money to do anything you want. You get in a relationship say good bye to your wallet and freedom.

0|0
    0|0
    • You can't buy happiness

• Show All
    • Enjoy your lonely life and butler's.

• Except in my life I have friends and family and money. I only answered the question and picked one of the three.

• You will be fine, time heals. Try to be strong, hold on. I was in that place too, you recover but try to active physically. Take part in activities, go outside and enjoy life. Life is too short to ponder

0|0
    0|0
  • no,

I believe happiness comes from being with others and interacting

0|2
    0|0
  • You can be happy alone no doubt.. But sometimes u do need someone to talk to.. U can have happiness but that can be much more if you have true and loyal relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes