Should people date if they are struggling financially?

2156

Most Helpful Guys

• I've said this before: a relationship (or even pre-relationship dating) is something that you have to EARN in a number of different ways. Most people have to do SOMETHING to prepare for dating, and some people have a lot more work to do than others.

Whether you have to get a job and save money, find some decent clothes, clean your room, move out of your parent's house, or address your own physical or mental health issues, you need to get yourself to the point where you can date/be in a relationship on a sustained basis without causing long-term harm.

Financially, that means being able to afford to date without being unable to pay your bills or without having to drain your savings or go into debt. If you can't do that, you aren't in a position to date yet, and you need to focus on resolving that issue BEFORE you try to date.

That doesn't mean that "dating" involves 5-star restaurants, expensive events, and fancy trips - there's nothing wrong with a picnic or a hike or a movie at home - but dating is ALWAYS going to cause SOME extra expense, whether that's gas money, food, clothes, makeup, or whatever, and you need to be able to afford those things on an on-going basis without cratering your finances, or you just shouldn't do it until you can.

• If I asked this question, I'd make this the best answer. I think you hit the nail on the head.

• Finances shouldn't influence who you choose to date; it's a matter of finding someone who's highly compatible and is devoted to you. Having a stable income will matter eventually in order to live an independent life together but for dating purposes, it's the phase of getting to know someone to find out if you're a match for them or not. If dating came down to financial stability as a major factor for qualifications of finding a match, there would be a lot more people who'd be single including myself!

Situations vary for everyone based on their life choices and some people may not be financially ready at the start of the relationship. If they are making an effort to show independence by doing chores, going to school, apply for jobs and such, that's a good sign they are taking the relationship seriously and want a future together with you. With a bit of planning and communication, I'm sure there can be compromises and ideas to work out a budget plan for a healthy financially future together!

• I like this answer the most. I agree 100%. I don't think I can even add more to this. MHO 👆

• Says the dude that will never be rich. I would never date a girl that didn’t make 75 grand a year or more and single moms are out. I also pay attention to her debt.

• @pipeliner78 I don't need to be rich to have a fulfilling relationship although making enough for all your bills plus a little extra is recommended for a healthy one in the long run. I'm glad you're setting your expectations high so you don't suffer from financial problems! There are plenty of women out there who make the amount you want; it's just a matter of finding them :)

Most Helpful Girls

• You can date without spending money if you are both okay with not spending money and both equally broke. For example - a trip to the library - a $1.00 tea from McDonalds or a $1.00 coffee from Mcdonalds which is free refill or a walk in the park to look at trees and bodies of water - or a trip to some nearby hill to take turns climbing the hill as a form of weight loss or a trip to a free meditation class together

• I don't see how finances have anything to do with dating. Long term, if the couple is going to marry, it has an effect, but no one should stop dating because they don't have money. They might ruin their chances of meeting their match, if they stop dating for a reason like that.

• Well someone has to cash out for the dating activity and that is usually the guy. So from a girls perspecitive, her own finances doesn' t matter but how will she judge a guy that can not afford a dinner?

• Why does the couple have to do dating activities that cost, if either is struggling financially? There are plenty of things to do for free.