What's your opinion on long distance relationships?

Updates:
I believe they can work if the people involved are committed

3|0

Most Helpful Guys

• “It depends” can’t be emphasized enough when it comes to long distance relationships. It depends on how the relationship started, “did it start at a distance?” Why that is so important, is because if you meet someone on-line, you met them in a convenient way, where both of you aren’t behaving as you would in person, and if you don’t test it, by meeting face-to-face, it can take on a life of it’s own, based on fantasy and delusion, rather than reality. You need to have an actual plan, commitment, in the near future, to meet in person and progress it out of the rut of on-line delusion & fantasy, if you met in person, then in developed into a long distance relationship, the probability of success, exponentially improves and worth it, if it starts at a distance, make sure you meet in person, ASAP

2|0
    0|0
  • It takes trust, loyalty, and respect. Long distance can be tough, due to lack of physical relations. But it is completely possible if the connection and love is there.

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It's not impossible to make them work, but it's rare they survive the distance. The most difficult part of a LDR is maintaining trust and interest long-term.

The ultimate goal of a LDR is to close the distance by meeting up in person, in real life. Few people get to actually meet up. So if two people can't meet up at all or on a regular basis , it would be pointless pursuing a relationship. The basis of a LDR is online communication,
    and that's not enough to maintain a healthy lasting relationship

1|0
    0|0
  • I have personal experience on both failed ones and successful ones. But if I had any other choice, I wouldn't be in a long distance relationship again.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 60

• A long distance relationship can work if there's a definite plan to meet. I knew a guy who met a woman online who lived about 2500 miles away. They spent hours chatting online. Eventually he sent her an airline ticket. They are married now and living near her home town in Quebec.

4|0
    0|0
  • It’s obviously possible but requires dedication and love. Love is love regardless whose it’s between or how far apart, when you see it, it can warm your heart if you let it.

If both parties really try their best to be honest, respectful, communication daily, love wholeheartedly and working towards seeing each other then it’s possible and when they meet, it’s gonna feel so natural because you two were in sync the entire time

2|0
    0|0
  • Unless it is a temporary step in an already established relationship, how can two people who will almost never be in the same room together call it a relationship?

1|0
    0|0
    • What if they're already together but one has to travel for work?

• This.
      Travelling for work should be fine, although maybe it also depends on how long and how often; and then different people have different tolerances.

• They are nothing without clear and measurable objectives. If you aren't working towards being together and there aren't steps being taken to achieve that which are visible and measurable then it's just fantasy and it's going nowhere.

0|0
    0|0
  • It absoulty works, it is actually incourged because you have time to miss each other, then when you see them you have so much to share. But if your together everyday then wouldn't u eventually run out of things to talk about.

1|0
    1|0
  • For most people, they don't work. They are perfect for people who would rather be alone because they are extremely independent and don't like or care for physical intimacy.

1|1
    0|0
  • In general I think they are silly and people are kidding themselves.

If you've been together in person and its just for a short period of time I've seen it work but otherwise I've pretty well universally seen it end in a trainwreck.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless the distance is going to be closed in the foreseeable future, they rarely work. It's particularly worse if the parties involved are in far away different timezones.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't like them and would never do one. I think most fail and I'd never be boyfriend/girlfriend with someone who didn't liver where I was or we couldn't easily meet halfway.

0|0
    0|0
  • From what I've seen it never works out unless you both are fully committed and honest with what you do. In the end most end because of trust issues or lack of communication leading the so to think they are cheating or other things that makes them feel less important

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 35

• It works but it depends on your efforts to make it worked. How to maintain good communication with your partner, trust your partner

1|0
    0|0
  • You need to be really committed for them to work. it is damned hard, but anything is possible with the right frame of mind!

1|0
    0|0
  • I have seen 3 LDR going strong and still surviving.

But in my opinion, LDR works when the couple has been together "together" for at least 2 years before it turning into LDR.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion, I think it requires hard work and sacrifices just as close by relationships does for it to work but personally I would not do long distance relationship if possible.

0|0
    0|0
  • It works to an extent. It really depends on the level of trust in the relationship. If you trust that your partner with be faithful to you then that’s great. If you’re dedicated to the relationship enough then sure, it could work. Usually it just ends badly, especially if you haven’t met in person prior to beginning the romantic relationship. But it’s whatever you’re in to i guess.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some work and some don’t. Also depends on how they’re handled involving some vital things like communication, commitment, patience, understanding, etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • Haven’t tried it but I think if a person is really committed and loyal not even distance can end the relationship.

1|0
    0|0
  • Never been in one but I think it would work but you’d both have to be really committed for it to last.

0|0
    0|0
  • They work just if you two had a real relationship before and actually met each other and do things. But if you met them online and they are like 600 km + between them. Than its not working

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be very difficult, but if the two people try their hardest and really love each other, it should work.

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

Recommended myTakes