Do you believe in dressing your best on a first date? Explain why?

Inspired by a question I saw earlier. I personally don’t believe in this, but I’d like to hear your detailed thoughts ☺️

1|3

Most Helpful Guys

• I don't believe in it. But to most people it "makes an important first impression"... But i don't care as long as you don't look like a bum.

1|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I'd say dress for the occassion but always try to look good, just as long as you're not wearing a suit to a casual diner

1|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Not like my absolute best but something good enough not to look like i didn't try at all

1|0
    0|0
  • I do. I love to dress up in general tbh. So going on a date is a great excuse for me to get all dolled up.

I would really dislike it if my date shows up wearing a white t and sweatpants. Like at least try, you know?

I’d say dress for the occasion. That simple.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 72

• No, I dress how I would on a normal outing. People here are saying "first impression is everything" the way I see it is.. if I dress up to impress, then she should expect this every time she sees me. First date to me is about getting that emotional connection. If you are having a first date then chances are you are already attracted to the person. It is now time to get to know them.

2|0
    0|0
  • My best... well, I won't show up in a suit and tie if you mean that. But I would try to dress somewhat formally.
    My reasoning behind this is quite simple: if the girl is "worth it" for me to ask her on a date, why would she not be worth it to dress up nicely for? She'd probably look pretty, so it would be unfitting for me to show up with holes in my pants.

0|0
    0|0
  • First impression is made within 7 seconds of meeting a person. I try to dress "well; better than usual" (dress shirt and khakis with a belt and some decent shoes) the first date, but I don't act differently than I normally would, otherwise they wouldn't like me for who I am genuinely.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I'll dress how I wanna. I believe in putting in as much effort in the beginning as I would later on. That way I'm consistent and she's not disappointed by any decline in effort. So in this case, I'll dress on the first date how I would on the one hundred and first date.

1|0
    0|0
  • For me personally i find it really disrespectful if a girl doesn't bother to dress nicely for me especially on the first date. it just makes me feel like i'm not good enough to look nice for. of course it goes both ways, i always try to dress nicely and keep myself groomed for my girl so i expect the same back ya know? maybe once you've started dating for a while you can slack off a bit though :p

0|0
    0|0
  • My best dress is going to be something like dress pants, a fitted shirt, and a bowtie or tie. 9 times out of 10, though, if I'm going on a dinner date (typically what I do for a first date), I'll wear jeans, fitted shirt (untucked) and either a tie or bowtie. It depends on where we are going, too.

1|0
    0|0
  • Quite the opposite. First dates are supremely casual for me. I don't want any type of fraudulent first date. Let's go out right after we get out of work. Let's wake up, meet up for a blunt and breakfast. I'm wearing sweats or shorts, please dress comfortably. Date 2 or 3 we can turn the class up, but I wanna meet the real you first.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the outing. Going to the beach might require less make up or clothes. To a wedding or banquet should require a best appearance. Depends on where you first date is. First date to wedding is common. Always look nice. Clothes do not need to be you but clean, pressed, not worn threads. Men should do the same. First impressions are the one's that last.

0|0
    0|0
  • While it is tradition to dres your best on a date, the whole purpose of a date is to learn about the other person. So i wouldn't go wearing something i'd probably never wear again, I'd wear something i usually do, otherwise expectations might be warped

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think you have to dress your best but shouldn't be shabby either. You should dress you something you're very comfortable in so that how you look won't play on your mind

1|0
    0|0
  • It kind of depends on where you're going. My custom suit doesn't make a whole bunch of sense if we're going to a movie, for instance.

1|0
    0|0
  • I personally don't care a lot about someones look, makeup, clothes and other, because you go out to talk and get to know each other. I do like to observe peoples styling and characters so it's even better when you wear something different from others, that is better for observing and thinking about it 😂😂

0|0
    0|0
  • If the restaurant has no dress code, she could wear sweatpants for all I care. As long as they are clean.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep.. But not that much.. I mean... Imagine everything goes shitty and you spent so much time and Maybe money in your clothes and make up so.. Besides that you better be in your regular style.. Because that's you... And you need to show your real "u" ...

0|0
    0|0
  • Your best? Ehh no lol
    Wear some what’s relevant lol... if it’s the movies you can go casual or sporty... if it’s a fancy Reston and going out... clearly dress a little nicer instead of a track suit lol...

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on where you're going and how well you know the other person. If it's casual, I'd say dress nicer than usual, but not your best.

1|2
    0|0
  • No I don't because it is nice to go out all dressed up on a date but the first date is for getting to know eachother and determining compatibility in my opinion. So I would dress up normally and do something fun, like go to the park.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me i don't think because am going out for date i should dress to kill, i like looking good and being simple. So dressing doesn't matter whoever loves you will still love you whether you dress or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • I typically wear my work clothes: A white or blue shirt, tie, and dress pants. That is "dress up" where I live. If I were in DC or the Northeast, I would wear a jacket too.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes to a degree (smart casual) as I believe you should make an effort when meeting someone. I've had dates who have dressed far too casually and it was a turn off

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 44

• I always try to wear above average clothes but I don't spend more than 4 minutes deciding what to wear. I dress for dates the same way I dress for church - some formal or nice colours - some clean clothes - some flattering clothes. I spend about 45 - 60 seconds coming my hair. Throw on my pants and top and shoes, grab some water bottles and I'm out the door.

1|0
    1|0
  • No but I believe you should make present yourself a bit better. For me personally I dont like dressing up over the top it makes me feel fake, and I've never met a man/boy whos been like "Eww" etc, do what you like if you want to do that go for it! But if you end up being in a long term relationship he's going to see what you're like anyway in terms of how you act, dress, look etc.

I love to be open on dates or when Im meeting someone, I dont like to make out Im perfect.

0|0
    1|0
  • Well I don't believe it's a must but I would say that both parties should try to look their best. Not for their dates but for themselves. When you look your best (how ever that looks), you feel more confident and that makes it easier to relax and act like yourself, thus have a good time with your date.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't wear an evening gown (unless I went somewhere that required the dress code) but would dress nice. Because, first impressions are important to me therefore it would motivate me to give a good first impression to my date. Much like a job interview, but casual.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do believe in it, but I feel like if I do, I'll be overdressed compared to everyone else who might be wearing casual shorts or jeans and a t-shirt compared to my short skirt, tights, black boots and off the shoulder top, and my hair done nicely. I'd feel self-conscious like a model that walks into a fast-food restaurant. XD

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that it is better off to dress just the way you usually do so you would not fool your date. its better being fully yourself on the first date instead of what you may not be

1|0
    0|0
  • I mean, I'm not gonna put on my best clothes. Lol
    They haven't earned that yet!
    But I will dress nicely. Lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, I dress like I usually am a little bit casual tho. Cause if you dress too good they will only like you for our fake self like make up and all that

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes. But I believe in trying to dress my best as often as possible. Unless I'm sick or not feeling well. Even my night gowns I wear I think I look my prettiest in them. However the make up is coming off at night. I still think I'm beautiful without it. The point is when I dress my best or look it I feel better than letting myself go. It also pushes me to exercise and be healthy.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, I’m not into fashion or anything like that. And I’m not going to get all dressed up to look like someone I’m not

1|0
    0|0
  • Duh. First date got get him panting 😇so he wanna comeback for more

0|0
    1|0
    • That's if you want sex, better yet just fuck and save all your time, energy, games and money.

• Show All
    • I’m aware, thanks 😐

• Ok. Back on topic. Casual clothing is my choice. I used to do sexy clothing but not anymore.

• I think you should dress how you want but not look like a slob. Over dressing is a thing too that can turn someone off.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope not reall I just dress normally.. meaning I dress well, that way I'm just me and I feel comfortable in my clothes and all that

1|0
    1|0
  • Wear what makes you feel comfortable I think! Make a good impression but mostly act the way you do around the people that love you most, I doubt anyone will remember what you wore but they will more certainly remember if you were kind and funny to talk to.

0|0
    0|0
  • With me, I try to make an effort to look my best regardless of whether I’m seeing a friend or going on a date. However it has to be suitable for the occasion, so no overdressing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe in dressing for the situation- if my date takes me to ice cream, I’m wearing a nice shirt and some jeans. If he takes me to a fancy dinner, I’ll be wearing a dress and heels.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd rather us both just be in casual clothes. Nothing fancy.

1|2
    0|0
  • I’d try but not try too hard if that makes sense lol

1|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it's in my culture woman wear high heels, dress, make up on date, they always try to dress their best to show their better style.
    Too I think it's more respectful to dress up when going on a date. You don't go on a first date in sweatpants.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Actually i dress in the middle ground. That way they haven't seen my best or my worst.

1|2
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes