Would you stay with someone who has admitted to cheating in the past?

Been seeing a guy 4 months and last night we got on the topic of why our past relationships didn’t work out. I knew his last one ended cuz she was on drugs but not why the engagement to his previous ended.

He admitted he cheated on her and they broke up, got back together, and then she left him 2 months later. They were together 9 years.

So his cheating occurred at least 5 years ago but cheating has always been a dealbreaker for me personally.

Would you stick with someone who has cheated in the past?

1535

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on the circumstances. I'd want to hear all about it and the reasons. You're right to be concerned, however it is in the past and people do make mistakes. I'm not saying ignore it (or that it's ever justified), but I wouldn't automatically dismiss them either. I'd also make it known that I wouldn't tolerate it at all, ever.

• Great question. Depends. Some people just get trapped in shitty relationships and don't break up because they are scared to be alone or don't want to hurt their feelings or social pressure to stay together, whatever. Sex is just horrible or not available and they seek it elsewhere. Doesn't make it right, but it is better than being a complete asshole douche bag cheating simply because they suck as a person and an opportunity was there.

• He’s been amazing to me the entire time. I don’t believe he would cheat again. He didn’t cheat on his last girlfriend and although we aren’t in an official relationship, he’s only seeing and sleeping with me. He said his fiancée, the one he cheated on (it was over about 5 years ago) is the one he let get away, the one he regrets hurting.

• Well, it would be a pretty sad world out there if nobody was ever forgiven for anything and nobody ever got a second chance either.

Most Helpful Girls

• Nope, once a cheater always a cheater. I have major trust issues so I would want to to able to know I can trust the person I’m in a relationship with 100% . Knowing that the person has cheated on a girl before would make me insecure and I would have a hard time trusting them. Eg If he says he has to work late I’m always going to be wondering if he’s really working or if he’s cheating on me.

• I couldn't end a relationship just because they had done something before with another person. I would acknowledge it is more likely they would do it to me as well, but I'm also naive enough to believe that people change. If they haven't given me a reason not to believe them or to suspect they are currently cheating on me, I would continue on with the relationship.