Would you stay with someone who has admitted to cheating in the past?

Been seeing a guy 4 months and last night we got on the topic of why our past relationships didn’t work out. I knew his last one ended cuz she was on drugs but not why the engagement to his previous ended.

He admitted he cheated on her and they broke up, got back together, and then she left him 2 months later. They were together 9 years.

So his cheating occurred at least 5 years ago but cheating has always been a dealbreaker for me personally.

Would you stick with someone who has cheated in the past?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Depends on the circumstances. I'd want to hear all about it and the reasons. You're right to be concerned, however it is in the past and people do make mistakes. I'm not saying ignore it (or that it's ever justified), but I wouldn't automatically dismiss them either. I'd also make it known that I wouldn't tolerate it at all, ever.

0|0
    0|0
  • Great question. Depends. Some people just get trapped in shitty relationships and don't break up because they are scared to be alone or don't want to hurt their feelings or social pressure to stay together, whatever. Sex is just horrible or not available and they seek it elsewhere. Doesn't make it right, but it is better than being a complete asshole douche bag cheating simply because they suck as a person and an opportunity was there.

0|0
    0|0
    • He’s been amazing to me the entire time. I don’t believe he would cheat again. He didn’t cheat on his last girlfriend and although we aren’t in an official relationship, he’s only seeing and sleeping with me. He said his fiancée, the one he cheated on (it was over about 5 years ago) is the one he let get away, the one he regrets hurting.

• Well, it would be a pretty sad world out there if nobody was ever forgiven for anything and nobody ever got a second chance either.

Most Helpful Girls

• Nope, once a cheater always a cheater. I have major trust issues so I would want to to able to know I can trust the person I’m in a relationship with 100% . Knowing that the person has cheated on a girl before would make me insecure and I would have a hard time trusting them. Eg If he says he has to work late I’m always going to be wondering if he’s really working or if he’s cheating on me.

0|1
    0|3
  • I couldn't end a relationship just because they had done something before with another person. I would acknowledge it is more likely they would do it to me as well, but I'm also naive enough to believe that people change. If they haven't given me a reason not to believe them or to suspect they are currently cheating on me, I would continue on with the relationship.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 33

• I would, if they seemed like the right person. I try to treat everyone with respect and kindness and trust, at least until they prove they don't deserve those from me but usually if I stay positive, it all works out either I get a great lover or a new best friend. People love to be trusted.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would stay only if the other person is well worth it and has truly repent on it. I like to give them a chance and see, because afterall nobody is perfect.

But just because I give them a chance doesn't mean you have to. If you don't want to give them an chance no problem. Your choice your decision. There is no right or wrong and no-one can tell you otherwise. This is your love life.

0|0
    0|0
  • if they tell me while dating, that they cheated before, i can definitely respect that. i mean i'd question them and it depends on the reasoning if i trust them but really dude... if they're telling you that they cheated before, how could they be more honest? it would make me feel like i can trust them, cause when they're willing to share such bad things, then i guess they will be honest about the lesser things also.

0|0
    0|0
  • No no no. He cheated once he will cheat twice and so on... I feel this kind of people, who can have sex with random people instead of love ones, should be lonely first to understand meaning of relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, people change, sometimes drastically.

Once a cheater always a cheater is some 16yo girl catch phrase.

He admitted it, he could've lied/hidden it from you.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would. And I'm a past cheater myself. Worst mistake I've ever made. But my girlfriend forgave me after i went to her and told her, and we're still together just as strong and love each other just as much as before

0|0
    0|0
  • There’s the likelihood he will cheat again as usual. Guys who cheat a few months back will do it again it’s only years down the line when they actually wake up and realise it’s not working.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would but it depends on how long ago it was and also just the context in general. Like someone getting too drunk and making a mistake is way different than someone having a long term affair.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends what was the cheating for. Like if he was drunk or the other person did/does something so wrong he expects it to be already over. Its like the mindset "If she doesn't care why should I"

0|0
    0|0
  • If you are interested you should give him a chance. But with a zero lies "warning'. If he start doing this then you should run away. Because liers will lie to you forever.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've known guys who have cheated once and felt awful and never done it again (after the divorce). Everyone is different. Trust your gut.

0|0
    0|0
  • Good luck to find a guy who'll be loyal at every time in every situation,
    are they actually exist?

0|1
    0|0
  • No, once a cheater always a cheater. A cliche saying, but it's true

1|1
    0|0
  • I would but i wouldn't be able to be at peace mentally

0|1
    0|0
  • no. if this person admits to cheating, chances are that they will cheat again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Once a cheater, always a cheater. If they didn't respect you enough to be faithful during the relationship, they're not worth it.

0|0
    0|0
  • No you crazy. Its over at that very moment. Fuck that beta simp shit.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly no.. Once a cheater always a cheater.. But thats me i dont trust easily.

0|0
    0|0
  • What happend in the past should not influence the future however procede with caution

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I dont like the uneasy feeling when we're not together

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 13

• I might give it a chance. People do regrettable things.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hahaha no.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like someone here just said, once a cheater, always a cheater. Save yourself from heartbreak and maybe some nasty surprises down the line. PLEASE leave him.

0|0
    0|0
  • I respect their honesty and bravery for admitting their wrongs, but I will always wonder in the back of my mind if they are still the same.

0|0
    0|0
  • You could always give them a chance but I think it boils down to wether or not you think they would cheat again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.

0|0
    0|0
  • Definitely not.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would reconsider it

0|0
    0|0
  • Really depends on how much I trust them