Do guys sometimes spend money on a girl to guilt her into giving them a second date?

I had a first date last night. Dude brought me a flower and some candy when he came to pick me up. We went to dinner and had a nice time, but the whole time I really didn't feel a connection or attraction. So ordinarily I'd leave it at that, but my mom is going crazy because he bought me that flower and candy and she said he deserves a second chance. I feel bad that I don't return his feelings, but there's not much I can do about it. Does my mom have a point though? Do i owe him a second date just because he spent money on me?

749

Most Helpful Guys

• You just need to be honest with him. No need to upset just tell him that you don't feel a connection so you think you should leave it there. I've always found when girls are honest with me I appreciate it and move on. If he takes honesty badly then that's on him, assuming you aren't a dick about it.

Definitely don't go on a second date, as that would just get his hopes up further. Unless you think there's some possibility something could come of it. Which it doesn't sound like you think there is...

If he wants to spend money that's his choice, often guys who do that are just trying to impress you in the short term anyway I've found. Although not always.

• Mom is old fashion and just wants the best for you.

You however have to make this decision on your own because only you can prevent forest fires.

Ideally a first date is not suppose to be about food. Its about having fun and getting to know a girl.

Gifts are for 3rd dates and beyond after you have had sex and established a relationship.

That guy was doing too much. Wssting money on flowers and candy and food and see you dont even like the guy lol.

Thats why my first dates i go dutch and we spend bare minimum like $4 max. Its not a meal ticket, its a date.
    Light, casual and fun.

• Exactly. That's why I usually like to meet for coffee on the first date. Quick and low key.

• Lol it's not about being able to afford it. I don't mind spending money on my own coffee/drinks/food but I want to enjoy what I'm getting and ideally be able to sit and talk at the same time. 😛 Why you gotta make it about that.

• That my point too.

Most Helpful Girl

• Uh no, you don't owe him anything because he spent money on you. If you're not comfortable with a second date because you're not attracted to him then leave it at that. Otherwise he'll spend more money and make you feel more guilty and it'll be just a mess.