Should couples tell each other everything?

Should couples tell each other everything?
Should you be completely honest with your SO or is it okay to omit parts of your past that you either regret or find painful to disclose?

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• There is no onus on you to share your entire life with your partner, it's your choice. They didn't own the part before they met you. I would argue that you should disclose anything which directly affects their interests in the relationship, like if you were once a male or you are a convicted murderer. Other than that, if it was before they came along and it has no bearing on your relationship then it's yours and yours alone. If you choose to share then it's a gift, not a requirement.

3|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I think one ought to tell their partner about everything from their past that their partner explicitly asks them about. One should also offer any information they weren't asked about, but feel is important for their partner to know.

In other words, I think it's only morally justified to withold information that both
    A) your partner hasn't asked about
    and
    B) you deem insignificant

1|0
    0|0
    • Okay so I asked my partner something about his past, and he didn’t want to answer... I’m obviously not going to force him to say anything he doesn’t want to but I’m right to feel hurt

• Yes, it is acceptable for you to feel hurt. Obviously, you aren't entitled to an answer, nor should he be forced to give you an answer. However, he is in for a rude awakening if he believes that he can have a successful relationship whilst witholding such important information from his partner.

I can only hope that your relationship is young, and that he will come around to sharing his past with you once he begins to trust you more. Just be patient.

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes. My SO knows each and everything about me, cauz we gonna stay together till we die.

1|1
    0|1
  • Maybe not right away but I think they should eventually trust each other enough to share even the most painful and embarrassing things with each other

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 29

• No! There are hings best left unsaid. Indiscretions that don't come up should be kept under cover. And every sexual escaped doesn't have to be shared. That guy whose nae name you never got at the bar 600 miles away should probably be kept o yourself.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes they should. I will tell my wife that i want to have threesome with her. I will also tell her how many gals i fucked with before she came to my life. I would be completely open with her about me and my desires. And i also expect her to say me whatever she wants to do with me

1|0
    0|0
  • You don't have to share things that don't really concern your partner.
    But you should be honest in everything that does.

1|0
    0|0
  • Only really important stuff, I think both individuals are entitled to having some private things ^_^

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes and no. I'd like to think that you can at all times but sometimes, but telling everything can cause undue hurt and spark jelousey. It is mostly all about timing. But if you are going out with a guy friend, your boyfriend does not need to know that, if you are texting with a girl that's a friend, you really don't need to tell your girlfriend. Why because it just sets up the other person to get nervous and have thoughts about is he or she cheating. I mean, sure I might be overreacting but I think I'd rather play it safe than sorry. And if you sleep with someone else while in a relationship, wait a year before telling them. As long as it was in the mistake territory of course. Because you have that claim, it happened but it has not happened since. Also there are some personal things that you might be going through and it might be something you want to struggle with privately

1|0
    0|0
  • If you are permanent, then just about everything. Too many people think “this is the one” and open up too much. Then they break up and the secrets get away. But for those that are married and completely honest with each other, many things from the past can affect your future. Certain diseases may need to be known for future treatments. Also, previous abortions make a big difference medically for many things. Legal matters that may come to affect you later.

There should be no surprises like those for married couples. But some things don’t matter that much.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really an entire life but some certain secrets that need to be told.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes everything disclose it all if you're serious and ofc not within the firsr 2 years disclose everything mutually after I'd say 5 years gives you more comfort in thinking you'll last together for a long time.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Everybody deserves their privacy. Plus being a little secretive is sexy 😉

1|0
    0|0
  • honesty means you could tell each other everything. trust means you dont have to

1|0
    0|0
  • I believe so. If they truly love you they shouldn't judge you for who you are

1|0
    0|0
  • it's okay to omit parts of your past that you either regret or find painful to disclose

1|0
    0|0
  • Unless it has an impact on them in some way, you don't have to.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nawww

2|0
    0|1
  • No, they should keep everything a secret

2|0
    0|0
  • Best if you omit

1|0
    0|0
  • Always

1|0
    0|0
  • Hell yeah! I mean why not?

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, they should.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 9

• i'd like to think i could be that close to somebody;. but it doesn't seem sustainable lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • Leave the past in the past and move on to your own future. It's much healthier.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, the fact that you are in a relationship doesn't mean you stop having personal life.

1|0
    0|0
  • I omit stuff.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's your call.

1|0
    0|0
  • I tell him everything

1|0
    0|0
  • No no no