Should couples tell each other everything?

Should you be completely honest with your SO or is it okay to omit parts of your past that you either regret or find painful to disclose?

1131

Most Helpful Guys

• There is no onus on you to share your entire life with your partner, it's your choice. They didn't own the part before they met you. I would argue that you should disclose anything which directly affects their interests in the relationship, like if you were once a male or you are a convicted murderer. Other than that, if it was before they came along and it has no bearing on your relationship then it's yours and yours alone. If you choose to share then it's a gift, not a requirement.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I think one ought to tell their partner about everything from their past that their partner explicitly asks them about. One should also offer any information they weren't asked about, but feel is important for their partner to know.

In other words, I think it's only morally justified to withold information that both
    A) your partner hasn't asked about
    and
    B) you deem insignificant

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Okay so I asked my partner something about his past, and he didn’t want to answer... I’m obviously not going to force him to say anything he doesn’t want to but I’m right to feel hurt

• Yes, it is acceptable for you to feel hurt. Obviously, you aren't entitled to an answer, nor should he be forced to give you an answer. However, he is in for a rude awakening if he believes that he can have a successful relationship whilst witholding such important information from his partner.

I can only hope that your relationship is young, and that he will come around to sharing his past with you once he begins to trust you more. Just be patient.

Most Helpful Girls

• Yes. My SO knows each and everything about me, cauz we gonna stay together till we die.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Maybe not right away but I think they should eventually trust each other enough to share even the most painful and embarrassing things with each other

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE