Is online dating safe when you want to meet in real life?

I heard many stories about online dating and psychology websites say that the person you meet may be different from your imaginations etc. Therefore you may be disappointed in each other and you may not experience the same feelings like online. You may discover new things about the person. Yeah true, therefore you date to see the new things about that person. What do you guys think? Were your experiences like a dream or not? How many of you had a great date leading to great relationship? All types of stories are appreciated, thanks already.

1|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I started online dating recently. As I now live in a good sized city there are a reasonable number of singles. So far to date I have been on two dates with people from online. The first was a nice woman I met on EHarmony. We went on two dates. Physically she was very attractive. Date one went well, we talked for a long time. I was even late for work. Date two however didn't go as well and she decided not to give me the opportunity of date 3. I was really upset about the rejection. The conflicting emotions really stung. I then started using OKC and I really enjoyed the matches there. I met a wonderful woman, it took us a couple weeks before we had our first date, the build up of anticipation was huge. I picked her up at her place, I genuinely like that she extended me that level of trust. The first date was really good. We had our second date literally the next day. (which is not something I would normally do)
    Long story short she is now my girlfriend and I have no need of online dating anymore.
    I can't say the whole thing was successful, I paid a large some of money to POF and EHarmony that got me nowhere. Still it was all worth it to find my girlfriend.

Where will our relationship lead? Who knows but she's the world to me.

I think it's both safe and effective. The fact is you can meet anywhere. So if you are nervous pick a very public place and just meet him there.

No one is exactly a profile, if you were simple and predictable enough to be defined that way you wouldn't be very interesting would you? I think a difference of look, or how they act, or some additional interests is normal and fine. It is a red flag though if they are claming to be something they aren't, acting, or really different.

Discovering more about the person is part of the fun.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Yes, if you know how to vet people online. Get to know them online first. If they reveal some (appropriate) personal stuff about themselves, like a weakness, then it's probably ok. Although most people won't do this because their date will go away. I do put value on them being honest and revealing even a small weakness.

Normally I can tell if I want to date someone just by reading their profile. It's not uncommon for a girl to just say she wants to be treated like a queen, that's a huge red flag. It means she is selfish and self-centered and not capable of a healthy relationship.

Some guy talking about b! tches and hoes is another red flag. He sounds really immature. There will be no relationship here and he could also be dangerous, as in having a short temper. Now if they're talking about dogs and gardening that's another issue. :)

I met several dates online and most of them were really nice people, but then I know how to vet people. And I married the last person I dated. We get along great.

When I was dating my wife, on our first date we met at a restaurant, where you order at the front counter. I was to meet her inside the restaurant. I was so hungry I rushed in to look at the menu to see what I wanted so I would be ready to order. Then I looked around and asked this girl "Are you so and so?" Yes, that was my date. I had rushed right past her! She still teases me about that.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• It's generally something you have to exercise significant caution in while doing. Too many people can be one person online and someone else when you meet them.

Make sure you know they're a real person first, Skype call or whatever. Take your time, meet in a public place, don't tell them where you live.

0|0
    0|0
  • I met my boyfriend online and he's lovely! But I was so nervous and wary about whether he was who he said or what he would be like that I asked to video chat first.
    It really helped! I felt excited for the date, I knew I was attracted to him and it went really well 😊

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 59

• Well... i was dating my girlfriend for close to 6 months when i finally got to meet her. The first 2 days were a bit weird but we quickly found each other properly and it was honestly absolute heaven. Now after over a year she's with me again and she will probably not fly back and stay here. We'll have to marry for that but honestly, i really don't mind that ;)

0|0
    0|0
    • I have to add, always still be careful of course. Start out with a public place

• Yes... a lot of the people you are meeting daily are doing online dating, so you are already meeting the same people, you just don't know it... anybody you meet has potential to be risky. I've found so many of my co workers and gym friends online just by mistake.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless you plan to meet in a back alley with a man whose photo was absent and whose name is a random sequence of characters, you should be safe.
    Quality is not always on par with the photos (but sometimes it is better than in the photo). I actually recommend meeting in person. At least you'll get a "real" vibe of what they're like.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is not safe. You can't truly know someone you meet online because you have no way of knowing if they are telling the truth. It is a risk but meeting new people in real life can be risky too. Personally I think you have to be very desperate to do the online dating route.

1|0
    0|0
  • My manager met his fiance online. So it's definitely possible.
    I'd say there is a validity to what other people say about online relationships, but it's not something that should force you to stay away.
    One of my fondest relationships was actually someone I met online while we were both admins of a page. I think the main thing was that we were genuine with each other.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not much different than meeting anyone anywhere else. Just use your common sense that's all. Talk to them a bit first before you meet, get "a feel" for them, then if you think they are genuine, meet, but do so in a very public setting.

0|0
    0|0
  • As with anything there always a risk.
    Meet in a public place. I like the first few to always during the day over lunch or coffee.

0|0
    0|0
  • Always meet as soon as possible, preferably within the first week of contact.

But even if you expected someone else, why shouldn't online dating be "safe"? Like you expected a nice guy and he turns out to be a violent rapist or what?

0|0
    0|0
  • I believe wit the right precautions it can be safe.. And there's a chance that the idea you had of them was totally wrong.. It can be good or bad.. But, aye what's life witout risk.. LOL..

0|0
    0|0
  • Its never safe. you just gotta play it safe and do it safe.

1|0
    0|0
  • Advice; try to meet in real life as soon as possible.
    Dont talk for months online before meeting. Because the longer you wait, the weirder it will be when yiu finally meet.

0|0
    0|0
  • The person might be diffrent. He might be better he might be nothing like what you imagined. And he might be dangerous.
    But in my opinion there is very less chances that the person you'll met is a psychopat.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion, you shouldn't date online unless you've video chatted with the person, and know whether they are who they say they are. Of course, this may not always be the case, but don't get too serious and hopeful unless they've proven it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just keep it to coffee in a public place and there won't be issues. Never include alcohol in your first meeting.

3|0
    0|0
  • You just have to be smart about it. Meet in public places. Have a friend ready to bail you out, etc.
    Also reverse image search selfies, make sure they aren't from a modeling website or something

0|0
    0|0
  • I suggest talk to him for at least a week if not more before meeting the person. Also pick a public location to meet like a coffee place, movie theater a plaza etc.

0|0
    0|0
  • We shouldn't date till we don't believe in that person whom u will meet.
    If you have sufficient information about that person & if his behavior is good then it's safe.

0|0
    1|0
  • I've had some good and bad experiences but it's always public meeting make sure you do that in a public place or even with a friend alone anyway

0|0
    0|0
  • Meet in a public place and it's totally safe. It is true the feelings might be different than what you felt online when you meet in person though.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is very risky. I did online dating and I was beset with the fate of MARRIAGE! Yes, my online dating led to marriage.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 17

• No. You can never be sure that a person is who they claim to be. If you are trying to meet in person with an online date, tell someone where you are going and only meet in a public setting.

0|1
    0|0
  • I met my boyfriend of 9 years online. You just have to be careful and trust your gut. Talk to them for a while before actually meeting and when you do meet do it in a public place like a coffee shop.

1|0
    0|0
  • Be careful where you meet. Watch out for spiked drinks. Keep your wits about you!

1|0
    0|0
  • It's as safe as any other way of meeting strangers.

0|0
    0|0
  • As long as you meet in a public setting you're good

0|3
    0|0
  • If you do, go to a public place with lots of people around, maybe take a friend, and set a clear time to come back with someone
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

0|0
    0|0
  • The first time you meet someone should always be in a public place, just to be safe

0|0
    0|0
  • It can be dangerous that is why you meet on neutral site like the shopping area.

0|0
    0|0
  • You can try vedio chatting before you meet him... cause you can know him better by vedio chatting

0|0
    0|0
  • it's risky I've never did it but I thought about it but I couldn't and can't now either

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah you need to try it

0|0
    0|0
  • I haven't tried online dating because it scares me

0|0
    1|0
  • yes I believe it is.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, because they always end up ghosting before you actually meet up for the first time.

0|0
    0|0
  • my mom met this guy online and now they’re engaged! they met at a public pizza shop. it CAN be safe but it CAN be dangerous. try facetiming.

0|0
    0|0
  • I was using dating websites for a few months with no luck of finding a relationship. 5 months ago I met my current boyfriend. We talked for a few days before he asked me on a date. We went out to dinner and saw a movie. It was great. My advice is talk to them before and get to know a little bit about them. Then if you decide to go out make sure to do it in a public place where there are plenty of people.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had one yesterday and only did it because it felt right. We are definitely having a second date

0|1
    0|0
    • We talked for a month before meeting. Make sure to talk on the phone/video chat to get a hint of what it’ll be like

Recommended myTakes