Is online dating safe when you want to meet in real life?

I heard many stories about online dating and psychology websites say that the person you meet may be different from your imaginations etc. Therefore you may be disappointed in each other and you may not experience the same feelings like online. You may discover new things about the person. Yeah true, therefore you date to see the new things about that person. What do you guys think? Were your experiences like a dream or not? How many of you had a great date leading to great relationship? All types of stories are appreciated, thanks already.

1961

Most Helpful Guys

• I started online dating recently. As I now live in a good sized city there are a reasonable number of singles. So far to date I have been on two dates with people from online. The first was a nice woman I met on EHarmony. We went on two dates. Physically she was very attractive. Date one went well, we talked for a long time. I was even late for work. Date two however didn't go as well and she decided not to give me the opportunity of date 3. I was really upset about the rejection. The conflicting emotions really stung. I then started using OKC and I really enjoyed the matches there. I met a wonderful woman, it took us a couple weeks before we had our first date, the build up of anticipation was huge. I picked her up at her place, I genuinely like that she extended me that level of trust. The first date was really good. We had our second date literally the next day. (which is not something I would normally do)
    Long story short she is now my girlfriend and I have no need of online dating anymore.
    I can't say the whole thing was successful, I paid a large some of money to POF and EHarmony that got me nowhere. Still it was all worth it to find my girlfriend.

Where will our relationship lead? Who knows but she's the world to me.

I think it's both safe and effective. The fact is you can meet anywhere. So if you are nervous pick a very public place and just meet him there.

No one is exactly a profile, if you were simple and predictable enough to be defined that way you wouldn't be very interesting would you? I think a difference of look, or how they act, or some additional interests is normal and fine. It is a red flag though if they are claming to be something they aren't, acting, or really different.

Discovering more about the person is part of the fun.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Yes, if you know how to vet people online. Get to know them online first. If they reveal some (appropriate) personal stuff about themselves, like a weakness, then it's probably ok. Although most people won't do this because their date will go away. I do put value on them being honest and revealing even a small weakness.

Normally I can tell if I want to date someone just by reading their profile. It's not uncommon for a girl to just say she wants to be treated like a queen, that's a huge red flag. It means she is selfish and self-centered and not capable of a healthy relationship.

Some guy talking about b! tches and hoes is another red flag. He sounds really immature. There will be no relationship here and he could also be dangerous, as in having a short temper. Now if they're talking about dogs and gardening that's another issue. :)

I met several dates online and most of them were really nice people, but then I know how to vet people. And I married the last person I dated. We get along great.

When I was dating my wife, on our first date we met at a restaurant, where you order at the front counter. I was to meet her inside the restaurant. I was so hungry I rushed in to look at the menu to see what I wanted so I would be ready to order. Then I looked around and asked this girl "Are you so and so?" Yes, that was my date. I had rushed right past her! She still teases me about that.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girls

• It's generally something you have to exercise significant caution in while doing. Too many people can be one person online and someone else when you meet them.

Make sure you know they're a real person first, Skype call or whatever. Take your time, meet in a public place, don't tell them where you live.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I met my boyfriend online and he's lovely! But I was so nervous and wary about whether he was who he said or what he would be like that I asked to video chat first.
    It really helped! I felt excited for the date, I knew I was attracted to him and it went really well 😊

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE