What are your most important rules when going on a date?

Updates:
Okay, so, wow. A lot of people said stuff. And the difference between the guys and the girls' answers is really funny.

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• A few pearls of wisdom.
    First date:
    Go during the day. Easier to leave if it's not working out.
    No movies or meals. Can't talk in a movie, can't talk with mouth full.
    Bring cash. He might bail. You may need a ride home.
    Keep the conversation light. Nothing too serious.
    Limit any alcohol.
    Be yourself. Don't be fake to impress.
    Have fun.

0|1
    0|0
  • Say as least as possible about yourself, be humble when you have to and be spontaneous.
    Reason: The more you say about yourself without knowing the other person the more you'll be risking saying something you shouldn't. Let him/her talk then make a safe bet. About being spontaneous, don't use old cheap humour, be ready to physicaly express yourself and lock eyes with your date when you talk and listen. Adapt to the conversation and don't try to guide the talk by yourself. Take turns doing so.
    You'll have sex in an average of 2-5 dates, if that's the objective.

2|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• 1. Don't move too fast - move at your own pace
    2. Make sure after each date, that they like you and trust you and are more invested in you then the previous date
    3. Be honest and talk about things that they can relate too
    4. Give the other person a chance to open up and let them feel their opinions are valid and appreciated
    5. Get the person to talk about their feelings if possible and offer a safe place for them to be frank with you
    6. Don't give too much emphasis to money. Chose a pleasant but affordable option and don't make it the main consideration of your date
    7. Ask the person how they are feeling before the date begins. If they are sick or sleep deprived or busy - reschedule so you can both enjoy the date and not feel like its a chore or unwanted responsibility
    8. Wear comfortable but attractive clothing on the date
    9. Consider the anticipated length of the date before planning how to financially pay for it. For example - if you know the date will last 6 hours - don't spend too much during the first couple hours of your date. If you know the date will only last 1 or 2 hours - feel free to have a date that costs a little more
    10. Go somewhere where you can be anonymous for shy people - for example - a gaming facility is better than a starbucks coffee shop since the gaming facility is more private. Or choose a restaurant where you can't see the other foodies rather than one where everybody can see everybody else (which is how places like Tim Hortons or Burger King are set up etc...)

0|0
    0|0
  • -Do not touch or get out your phone. Literally this is such a huge deal to me~ I HATE seeing couples at a restaurant not talking to each other and just glued to their phones.
    -I always offer to pay for myself but don't make a massive deal if they insist on paying, just thank them
    -If it's the first time meeting someone meet in public
    -Never go to either of your houses on a first date
    -No further than kissing on a first date
    -Be on time
    -Ask questions and listen to what they have to say

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 51

• Be polite and make sure to keep her invested in the conversation by asking about her and her hobbies etc. Keep a respectful distance and limit physical contact to a polite hug at the end of the evening. Pay for the meal, pull out her chair, hold the door. Just basic gentlemanly stuff

4|0
    0|0
  • Don't abandon your date when in the middle of something to text/call someone else just don't use your phone because it's one of the most rudest things you can do and gives off the impression you're not interested in them even if you are

2|0
    0|0
  • 1) Be creative with what you do on the date.
    2) Don't be a dick.
    3) Just have fun.
    4) If you click. arrange the next date.
    5) Go to multiple locations during the date. (makes more memories.)

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. Be a Gentlemen
    2. Listen to her more than her listening to me.
    3. Have her wanting you before giving yourself to her.

1|0
    0|0
  • Overarching theme based on the comments.

Men: Kiss her ass, and sell yourself.
    Women: Sit there.

3|1
    0|0
  • - Dont talk about ex-girlfriends
    - Dont talk about income
    - Be critical about what she says and dont admire every single of her statements.
    - Dont pay her bill

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont know what you mean by rules? However just relax and have fun. Date are supposed to be a good time. Shouldn't stress yourself out. I'm sure the boy well be just as nervous. Lol at other comments

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't be disrespectful. Find out what the boundaries are and dont step over them. Try not to be awkward. and make a good first impression.

2|1
    0|0
  • On the first date no sex
    Only kiss if the girl wants to
    Respect the girl on the first date
    Don't use your cell phone on the
    first date unless it's emergency

0|0
    0|0
  • Making a good first impression because if you ruin that the first time you meet someone, it's difficult to say if the other person will accept another one

0|0
    0|0
  • dont do anything stupid act respectful be presentable and dont make a mess or do anything to draw attention make sure she's happy and from time to time smile

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't use your phone, unless it is 1000000000% important like a family member is in the hospital. Keep it on silent and look at it maybe once every hour to 2 hours.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bring a condom and try as hard as possible to get her into bed, which isn't hard with the way modern girls act.

0|0
    2|1
    • @Taylor47
      Way to assume all women will have some for of sexual relations beyond kissing on the first date. A lot do not even kiss on the first date. You are a player which is not cool.

• Haha good luck with that. I would never sleep with ANY guy unless I have been in an exclusive relationship with them for at least a month. If a guy tries anything I don't want they won't be getting a second date

• Hold up. Yes many girls fuck on the first date, I think that is the norm actually. Considering how girls will fuck random guys on Night's Out as well as complete strangers from Tinder, I am sure they would fuck a guy on the first date. How does that make me a player though?

• I don't have any rules just don't get on your phone a lot on my time especially when new to dating each other I find it extremely rude

0|0
    0|0
  • Shower in cold water before the date to not sweat, smell good with a nice parfume, buy a chocolate or something to give to the girl :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Attention towards girl stop using mobile and looking in just eyes as your concentration is on her only

0|0
    0|0
  • avoid saying, doing, or being,

anything that would be bad on a date.

0|1
    0|0
  • brush my teeth , use deodorant, wear underwear and make sure my zipper is up!

0|0
    0|0
  • Be your self and don't talk too much but be attractive and fun to be with

0|0
    0|0
  • 1. Be attractive
    2. Be interesting
    3. Don't be unattractive or uninteresting

0|0
    0|1
  • Be respectful. Get to know them/don't focus on yourself. Show I'm a Christian man.

0|0
    0|0
  • Keep it light. Be fun. Keep your attention on her and ask interested questions.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone will vary. Depends on what's most important to you? Have you ever been on one?

0|0
    1|0
  • Take a condom or five

4|2
    1|0
  • Carry lube

2|1
    1|0
  • There are no rules. It's like the wild west.

1|1
    0|1
    • Normally it goes like this. I push her boundaries all the time, and she try to resist all the time. If I win we will be happy together. And if she wins we will both be alone once again.

• Let the girl talk about her self

0|2
    0|0
  • She pays for everything

0|2
    2|1
  • Be yourself don't take it to seriously

0|1
    0|0
  • the first rule is that there are no rules

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 23

• 1. A date is just a date. I AM going to leave happy regardless if they enjoyed their time or not.
    2. No sex, because... eww. Thatā€™s reserved for relationships (in my life)
    3. The other person WILL NOT pay for me
    4. Zero tolerance for disrespect. I will leave and have fun elsewhere.

1|1
    0|0
  • Make sure not to get kidnapped. Make sure someone knows where you are. Make sure he's not getting you drunk.

3|2
    0|0
  • First date is a lunch date at a cafe. Only had one date ever. We spend a few hours eating, talking and went home to our selves. Was 17 years old. It was his first too.

0|2
    0|0
  • Put the cell phone away unless it to show photos and take group selfie. Your not getting a free meal out of me. If you have husband or boyfriend Iā€™m gone.

1|1
    0|0
  • I sometimes have the Problem of the Guy wanting a Real Relationship Right off the Bat. xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Being polite. Respecting the other's opinion. Listening to them. Letting them finish talking before I speak.

0|0
    0|0
  • Respect boundaries
    Don't overshare
    Don't waste time

0|2
    0|0
  • Don't stress. Be on time. Remember that it's just a date

1|1
    0|0
  • Be yourself and go with the flow and liste to your gut feeling

0|0
    0|0
  • The most important rules are "have no rules" and go with the flow

0|0
    0|0
  • Just have fun and don't do anything that you don't want

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't get drunk and make a fool of myself because of nerves

0|0
    0|0
  • No making love. Just date. Just hold hands, kiss cheek, maybe hug n
    <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    Dance!

0|0
    0|0
  • No cheating
    No Lying
    Be yourself

0|3
    0|0
  • 1) Don't go on dates, there are no fun

0|3
    0|1
  • First date. Dont talk about religion or politics

1|1
    0|0
  • Have cash on hand.
    Go to a public place.

1|1
    0|0
  • Don't eat anything you're allergic to.

0|1
    0|0
  • I always try a new bra

0|1
    0|0
  • Respect

0|0
    0|0
  • Be respectful to me above anything else.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you find that he is treating you nicely but treats the waiters or valet or other person in the service industry like crap he is not a nice guy and he will soon treat you like crap too. I wish I knew that when I was younger.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yes. Unlike many women believe, people don't really have more than one face.

• Shower and make sure you smell good.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes