Are love triangles more common than people think?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes, I believe so.

The most common version I have personally seen is a setup where one person is in a relationship with someone that does not meet all of their needs, so they supplement with a third party.

That supplement is usually emotional. But often is physical (in the case where their partner has sexual dysfunction, they get that need taken care of by a third party).

Some friendzone situations are actually love triangles where the third party is used for emotional support. The sexual needs are being met by the primary partner, so the third party is limited to emotional intimacy.

1|3
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I don't think so but I'm not sure, I personally wouldn't be part of one. If she didn't know that she wanted me I wouldn't waste my time, I'm not one to play games and I don't much care for being strung along but I could be an exception.

1|0
    0|0
    • I’m more on the outside. Well I e known the guy for longer. Then he suddenly starts dating this other girl out of the blue. Now him and I are both stuck. Who knows what the girlfriend is thinking. She probably doesn’t even know about it.

• Show All
    • Well, if you don't mind being the side chick (because inevitably that's what you are going to be, if he is not with you he is not with you, he has an official relationship with this girl and not you) then do as you will but eventually that's going to get old because he will more then likely keep doing what he is doing and things will not change.

• I hear you. It’s weird bc he won’t let me go. He also won’t talk about the girl friend around me. It’s like he’s trying to hide it from me and him. Yes, I know I’m not dating him but I know he is still interested me 💯 %.

Most Helpful Girls

• I don't know, I've never witnessed one in a real life setting. I guess it's very common for someone to have a crush on someone who is already involved with someone else, but I find it difficult to believe that people would be so rude that they would act on it as well.

0|1
    0|0
  • If I ever found myself in a triangle, I would take myself out of it. There can only be a triangle when on person believes they can have 2 others.

2|1
    0|0
    • But if they are all willing, would that not constitute FMF, MFM, MMM, FFF?

• Show All
    • So you think give him space and let him figure it all this

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 43

• There is rarely such a thing as a live triangle. First of all a triangle is 3 points and three sides. So in order for it to be a true love triangle, both guys would have to like the girl, the girl would have to like both guys, AND both guys would have to like EACH OTHER. Otherwise it's just a love angle.

2|2
    0|0
    • I think I'm in a triangle with two best friends at work. Both are great guys and we are all on friendly terms. I hate triangles though so at this point I'm hoping to keep things platonic. The last thing I'd want is to split up friends.

• I am not quite sure how common love triangles are, but I know that I have been in one.

In some respects it depends on the attractiveness of the person at the center of the love triangle. Someone who is physically sexually attractive creates constant attention for desires of sexual gratification to be met. When someone is constantly offering or suggesting that sex is an open possibility with you, that can be something hard to resist. The ones who are more moralistic will get the physical sex and desires satisfied while doing everything within their power not to be in a relationship with anyone. Those who are less moralistic will lie and cheat while in a relationship with their partner.

The same is true of someone who may have average to below average looks but has an incredible personality. Yes, believe it or not, you can be ugly but extremely sexy. Women call it "Ugly Hot" guys have other terms. But the point is you can have a very sensual personality or a blunt and open personality that makes you a good communicator. Those who can communicate their sexual needs will likely have them met and find themselves in love triangles.

In my situation, I had a crush on a high school friend. I went on a date with her and told her that I had a crush on her. Then I went to college and started dating someone else like a month later for just a brief period of time. When she found she got upset and said "I NEVER WANT TO TALK TO YOU AGAIN!". So, I reached out to her best friend to get advice on how to apologize. Pretty soon her best friend and I had a strange and immediate connection. I had never met her before by the way... anyway. We met and hit it off. Pretty soon we were dating and my high school friend was pissed! Apparently her best friend asked her permission (unknown to me) and my high school friend reluctantly said it was okay.

Flash forward 10 YEARS LATER. My high school friend is a co-worker at this corporate company. When she first got hired she gave me a hug like after seeing me for the first time in 10 years. She hugged me like nothing happened. I started to have a crush on her and told her AGAIN. But she said we were just friends. We are still on good terms. I invite her to a reading for a fiction piece at a bar. I wrote it. Next thing you know last night my high school friend asks if it is okay to invite my Ex Girlfriend/Her Best Friend to see me read my story at this bar...

Little do they know that my short story is a romance.

0|2
    0|0
  • I think its much more common then people think. There seems to be a ton of love triangles in the kink community. They might be short or as an as required basis though. Of course there is plenty of unknown triangles where one person is string two peoplealong but I dont think that counts.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had a relationship with a person who put me on hold when I said I loved her. At the same time, she had a boyfriend that she didn't fully love. It didn't end good for both of us and she played games. It's not very very common but it happens a lot. Usually the person in that situation doesn't fully know what to do so it gets fucked up if s/he doesn't stop it and choose what to do.

1|0
    0|0
  • love triangles suck and i fucking hate them with the burning passion of a thousand white hot suns

5|4
    0|1
  • Yeah in my early years i was in three. I would friend zone a girl and spend the entire time talking to her about my crush/girlfriend only to find out my bff was in love with me. All ways ended badly. I was immature lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know, nor do I care to find out, I do know that if someone touches what is mine , he will know my wrath! Actually I would never be put into a citation like that, I don't compete, I'll walk away

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I had a love triangle, the corners really hurt my balls.

🤐

0|0
    0|0
    • I was talking to a guy for three months. Then he told me was actively seeing someone. But apparently is still interested just needs time away from me. I’m confused. I think he is too.

• They're more common than we'd admit (hypergamy is a major causer and it's politically incorrect to acknowledge existing) but we probably are about right as to how common they are subconsciously.

0|0
    0|0
  • No.. I feel like a love triangle, for me at least, takes away from the true love between 2 people. But, to each their own I suppose. I dont think it is common at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would think so. Lots of people compete for the attention of one person.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nope, because a love triangle would require two people successfully competing for one person's affections. Very rare indeed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not that I know no most arnt l9ve triangles but simply someone being greedy

1|0
    0|0
  • I believed so, because you may have someone who's already a lover interested in you by flirting with you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. But not a lot of people are bold enough to go for what they want...

0|0
    0|0
    • I’m in a weird one. I knew the guy for two months on and off casually dating. Now he’s with this other girl who he’s dating just recently. He’s been telling me to give him time. From the sounds of it, it sounds like the relationship is a fling. Should I just be patient and give him space like he said?

• Show All
    • Hahahahaha thanks. The only thing is I don’t want to date anyone right now so my break is rejuvenating myself but yes your right if it’s meant to be it’s meant to be. Thanks!

• Understandable. Have fun. And hope you get the peace and rest you want

• I clicked on alia bhatt.
    WHO PUTS THE PIC OF SOTY AS BANNER FOR THIS QUESTION?

0|0
    0|0
  • I have experienced it. I think it's getting more and more common.

0|0
    0|0
    • What happens to the person on the other side. Just let them be for awhile.

• Show All
    • Yea if not I’ll talk to him. I need space like him. I can reach out just need time to myself. Really doesn’t matter who does it tbh.

• Seems fair.

• I dont think so. In my opinion they are extremely rare.

0|0
    0|0
  • It happens but is almost always short-lived.

3|1
    0|0
  • Yes absolutely

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 23

• I don't think so. Many people are indeed faithful - even to people that aren't beautiful or rich.

0|0
    0|0
    • I think its more about the structure of the love triangle, rather than about faithfullnes

• Yes strangely I'm in one myself right now and it's very confusing and your never sure if your doing the right thing because you don't want to reject it in the future or hurt anyone

0|0
    0|0
    • Yea I’m on the outside. Known the guy longer. There not even Facebook official. Thing it’s casual. He told me to give him time. So I’ll just do that.

• Show All
    • @davidnoxier I really like the first guy who says he doesn't want to be with me and then his actions say otherwise and I slightly like my best friend but not enough to have a relationship with and the last guy I don't have feelings for at all

• Me just going to wait and see

• Yes. Sadly it's happened twice to me. Not the best thing...

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I believe so. I know quite a few people who've been in a love triangle, but it never ends well.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes... lol I kind of had one and I'm really young 😂

0|0
    0|0
    • I think in your case it wasn't a love triangle, it might've been either a crush triangle or lust triangle 😉😉😂

• Crush triangle then yes 😂

• Not really was in bed with a woman in middle of it she asks if her husband can join I walked out naked.

0|0
    0|0
    • Just thought I would tell you that you must have found the fountain of youth, because your profile photo makes you look like your are in you mid twenties.

• I’ve been in one. It sucked.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure about it, because urequited love exists.

0|0
    0|0
  • Very.

0|0
    0|0
    • I’m in one but he has yet tell me he has a girlfriend. It’s not even the two people being in a relationship on Facebook. It’s just him. He hasn’t told me yet. Probably doesn’t want too to. Lol. Meanwhile he’s apologizing left and write on my end. I’m like I’ll let you be for a bit.

• Show All
    • I’m just giving him space and going from there. 1-2 months prob.

• Good idea.

• Not common at all. I know nobody who is in one

1|0
    0|0
  • Always see it! Pain in the arse

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah I think so
    I MIGHT be in one (I hope not)

0|0
    0|0
    • I’m in one. There not even Facebook official. lol

• Show All
    • Bottom line he still acts like there’s hope for me and him and to give him time

• Guess I should

• Yeah may be

0|0
    0|0
  • I have seen one , but don’t know how common

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Without a doubt

0|0
    0|0
  • yes i think it’s way more common

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm in a love octagon right now :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I think love triangles, in the real sense of the expression, are not that common.
    But players (both men and women) are common enouhh, and they're not known for their preference of monogamy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've only ever experienced one. Had a crush on my co-worker, got a friend a job at my workplace, my crush got into a relationship with my friend. But Yea, they're more common I guess

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes