Do you think it's possible to have your heart broken so many times, that you lose the ability to love another person?

2251

Most Helpful Guys

• I feel that you definitely would still be able to, but each time you get a little smarter and a little more numb, each time the wall will just get a little thicker and he or she is just going to have to work harder to knock it down because of the pain and hurt that was caused in past relationships.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • No I don't believe so, but it depends on you. A person can take all their heart breaks and deem that they can't love anymore or they can take each heart break and learn from it to become stronger and see it as a journey until you find that person who takes all those broken pieces of your heart and helps you put your heart back together again. Again love, like life, is a journey don't turn your back on it just because there is bad weather along the way.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girls

• I think the guy I'm seeing has reached this point. Luckily, I'm extremely patient, but we've been together almost a year and he's barely letting his guard down, and only a tiny bit. His past relationships involved a lot of being used for money and his body, as well as losing a baby and being told by the mother that she never loved him. I expect his guard to be up and I expect that he'll be broken for a long time. All I can do is show him I'm here and have no intention of causing any more harm. I don't know if he'll ever love me, or even be able to love anyone, but I'm content with what I have with him for now.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • Yes, unfortunately. What happens in new relationships, if they have any at all, is they begin to sabotage them thinking they must fail eventually based on past experience or as soon as they approach something of the feelings of being in love again, they pull back for fear that if they acknowledge their own happiness and feelings, they will be hurt. They think of themselves as protecting themselves from hurt, but ironically instead of being chronically hurt by others, they begin to hurt themselves by denying any potential of love that presents itself to them.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE