Do you think it's possible to have your heart broken so many times, that you lose the ability to love another person?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• I feel that you definitely would still be able to, but each time you get a little smarter and a little more numb, each time the wall will just get a little thicker and he or she is just going to have to work harder to knock it down because of the pain and hurt that was caused in past relationships.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • No I don't believe so, but it depends on you. A person can take all their heart breaks and deem that they can't love anymore or they can take each heart break and learn from it to become stronger and see it as a journey until you find that person who takes all those broken pieces of your heart and helps you put your heart back together again. Again love, like life, is a journey don't turn your back on it just because there is bad weather along the way.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I think the guy I'm seeing has reached this point. Luckily, I'm extremely patient, but we've been together almost a year and he's barely letting his guard down, and only a tiny bit. His past relationships involved a lot of being used for money and his body, as well as losing a baby and being told by the mother that she never loved him. I expect his guard to be up and I expect that he'll be broken for a long time. All I can do is show him I'm here and have no intention of causing any more harm. I don't know if he'll ever love me, or even be able to love anyone, but I'm content with what I have with him for now.

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes, unfortunately. What happens in new relationships, if they have any at all, is they begin to sabotage them thinking they must fail eventually based on past experience or as soon as they approach something of the feelings of being in love again, they pull back for fear that if they acknowledge their own happiness and feelings, they will be hurt. They think of themselves as protecting themselves from hurt, but ironically instead of being chronically hurt by others, they begin to hurt themselves by denying any potential of love that presents itself to them.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 49

• Yes... kinda... I know from a guys side but females have an advantage u wait to be confronted and you have a choice. Maybe you pick the wrong guys and friendzone the good ones? I don't know your style but if guys are leaving you within a month you just picking the wrong ones.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think so, love is something that happens naturally, so you'll find someone, maybe you meant that you lost the ability to trust someone, but if you know someone a lot, maybe you could fall in love with it.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm currently asking myself and meditating on this question with a slight variance of been wronged so much to lose interest in trying.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, that is possible.
    When I was 21, my first girlfriend broke my heart so badly that I have been psychologically incapable of feeling romantic love for anyone who came after her.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is possible, but for some people it's temporary. When I asked out a girl that I had a crush on for a long time and she said no, I couldn't fall in love with someone for a very long time. However I can again now.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes it is. But if you`re a hopeless romantic, such as myself. well. WE NEVER LEARN lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you can be hurt to the point you lose faith in your ability to be loved.

If you don't find yourself loveable, you can't truly love another person.

0|0
    0|0
  • You don't lose the ability but you may never love the same way again or find it incredibly difficult to get feelings

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, there's only so many times I can tolerate one sided relationships before I say enough and just look for causal flings.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I don’t think anything can truly break your ability to love
    I’m not saying that it can’t make it incredibly hard to

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I have no trust at all. Gotta earn it and That is close to a miracle.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know we're going on 8 times but I'll make sure to keep you posted. Tbh though, at this point I'm kinda done. So just be what you wanna be.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Then it's time for a trip to the therapist or meeting someone that treats you right.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some of us never developed the ability in the first place.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah... I'm starting to think that I'm at that point myself.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I don't think it is it makes it harder sure but not impossible

0|0
    0|0
  • of course. I am sorry of what happened with you! Wish we could be with the person whom we loved!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it's possible to lose the ability to "fall in love" but never to love someone

0|0
    0|0
  • No dear.. you just think that... It passes over time.. blv me... I thought that too...

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 20

• Yes I think it can happen and it doesn't have to be many times. Sometimes a couple of times or even one time is enough.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you lose the willingness to try and ability to trust, but you aren't incapable.

0|0
    0|0
  • I actually do yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes... Wrong trauma and abuse can lead to pshycopathic tendences, witch manifest trough lack of emotional attachment and emphaty

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. It happens to the people whose Hearts aren't just broken by boyfriends but by family and trusted loved human beings. the ones we letting all of them not just the boyfriends or the girlfriends of the wives of the husbands. but the mom and the dad in The Brothers in the sisters and the teachers and all the people that say something bad if you keep getting that if it continues then yes your turn into a hard cold shell that doesn't give a fuck about anyone trust me but it's a bad place to be.

0|0
    0|0
  • You become more cold as a spiritual being towards the idea of love but when the RIGHT person comes along , love is uncontrollable. It's a matter of falling in love not forcing it.

0|0
    0|0
  • You'll never lose the ability to love but it definitely makes it that much harder to love someone again.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, of course, you stop trusting others and no longer open up yourself to new possibilities.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I absolutely think its possible. There's only so many times you can put your heart out there before it becomes useless.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unfortunately, it's possible and a lot of people have grown cold and numb to love now a days.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't have feelings, I never loved anyone and it's not that my heart got broken in the past.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not sure about the love part. But it might become more difficult for you to trust someone

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, I'm there.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes!

0|0
    0|0
  • Agreed it possible

0|0
    0|0
  • That or trust.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes but eventually the love will come back

0|0
    0|0
  • Before i met my boyfriend I honestly thought I could never love again because of how many heart breaks I went through. Then at a time of my life I decided to not worry about being with someone and just have fun. I didn’t expect any guys to make it official to do anything cute except hangout. That’s when love came to me and eventually you’ll get back up on your feet.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes