How soon should your kids meet your new SO?

I'm a single mother of 2 and just got back into the dating scene. I was also the child of a single mother. I'm curious what the consensus is about how long someone should wait before introducing kids to someone new when dating. I've known people to introduce their kids to someone the first week of dating, and others to wait 6+ months into an exclusive relationship.

What's your opinion and why? If you're a parent with experience in this matter, how long did you wait? If you were a child of a single parent, do you remember what your parent did and how it affected you? Do you think it should be different for dads than it is for mothers?
I should mention that I am not seeking advice. I've already decided what's best for me and my kids, but every family/parent/relationship is different, so I would like to hear other opinions and other their experiences.

619

Most Helpful Guys

• I've just started dating someone with kids. I've told them I don't want to meet kids till we know where we're heading. For me there's an event in October we both want to go to, it'll be a weekend away (possibly our first), that'll be around 4 months in. Assuming things keep moving forward and we have a good weekend, for me that be the trigger for having a serious chat about where we are, where we see things going. If we're on the same page then meeting kids will come into that conversation.

• It's great that you are going into the relationship with a plan and are taking their children into consideration.

• Thank you. I dont know where it will lead. But I wanted to reassure her early on that we can make things work around the kids (her ex only has them every other weekend so our time together is limited). First and foremost we need to build our relationship. Thats going to take time and commitment from both of us.

• Glad my opinion was helpful, shame i can't give myself such good advice, my lady friend ended decided not to continue our relationship!!! Oh well, plenty more fish as they say

• I would wait until I thought it was a serious relationship. No real timeframe, just if I thought it was going to be long term or not, good be 2 weeks or 6 months.

• 2 weeks seems so fast to know of a relationship would turn into anything serious, even if everything seemed perfect, you're still in that honeymoon phase and getting to know what person, but that's just me... lol. I see what you're saying though.
      Do you think mothers should be more cautious when bringing a man around their kids?

• 2 weeks is very quick but i believe it's possible.
      Do I think a mother should be more cautious then a father? I think either one should be cautious because like I said unless it's a long term relationship I dont think children should be exposed to sexual partners if they're passing flings. I don't think Its fair to the kids to introduce them to peopl e and have them get attached just to take them away.

Most Helpful Girl

• Im a more recently single mom but i dont plan to let anyone meet my boy until we are more serious. I just dont want to bring anyone i don't know that well around my boy plus i dont want him to get attached to people im not serious about because who knows if they will stick around. Plus i want him to grow up with the idea that relationships are serious and lean whats is like to be loyal and committed and i dont think that message would be portrayed as well if i just let any guy I went out with meet him.