Why do men historically propose to women?

1338

Most Helpful Guys

• Historically it works like this.
    Men were #1 women were things.
    A man proposing, it's origination was always to the father of the girl. In some cultures, the father of the girl has to pay the man a large dowry. Because the man is taking care of the girl her entire life. They propose to the woman sometimes too, because she's taking care of your kids, So you don't want to treat her like trash. Girls proposing to guy look desperate and frowned upon. Marriage, as we know it today, came from religious roots. Men proposing to a woman is a ritual. Before that men used to just bring them home/kidnap them

• Because women didn't work, and she was becoming a part of his life as opposed to the other way around. A proposal was laying out the welcome mat I suppose.

In the modern hallmark get-down-on-one-knee-and-reveal-a-ring sense, that's only been around for like 75 years. But it's the man for the same reason, even if the situation isn't quite as extreme.

In general it still seems to be the case that the woman becones a oart of the man in some sense as opposed to the other way around, and the man proposing is symbolic of that. That's how I see it anyway. I could be wrong

Most Helpful Girls

• I read in 2 books I purchased, why men love bitches and why men marry bitches - that in order for a guy to be satisfied with the relationship and commit to it long term - he has to believe that the relationship is his ideas. I've turned away from friends before because they messaged me so often that I felt like they were trying to force me to accept them into my life rather than trying to make me want to be their friend.

• Because historically men made the deal with the woman's father to marry her. They asked for the father's permission, not the daughter's and then proposed when they got the permission. Women had no authority to ask for marriage.