Why do men historically propose to women?

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Historically it works like this.
    Men were #1 women were things.
    A man proposing, it's origination was always to the father of the girl. In some cultures, the father of the girl has to pay the man a large dowry. Because the man is taking care of the girl her entire life. They propose to the woman sometimes too, because she's taking care of your kids, So you don't want to treat her like trash. Girls proposing to guy look desperate and frowned upon. Marriage, as we know it today, came from religious roots. Men proposing to a woman is a ritual. Before that men used to just bring them home/kidnap them

0|0
    0|0
  • Because women didn't work, and she was becoming a part of his life as opposed to the other way around. A proposal was laying out the welcome mat I suppose.

In the modern hallmark get-down-on-one-knee-and-reveal-a-ring sense, that's only been around for like 75 years. But it's the man for the same reason, even if the situation isn't quite as extreme.

In general it still seems to be the case that the woman becones a oart of the man in some sense as opposed to the other way around, and the man proposing is symbolic of that. That's how I see it anyway. I could be wrong

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I read in 2 books I purchased, why men love bitches and why men marry bitches - that in order for a guy to be satisfied with the relationship and commit to it long term - he has to believe that the relationship is his ideas. I've turned away from friends before because they messaged me so often that I felt like they were trying to force me to accept them into my life rather than trying to make me want to be their friend.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because historically men made the deal with the woman's father to marry her. They asked for the father's permission, not the daughter's and then proposed when they got the permission. Women had no authority to ask for marriage.

2|0
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 36

• Well, I've heard that since the war was a real possibility, men propose to women with an expensive ring, so as when he dies she'll have money to live with for at least some time.

Given that most women back then didn't work.

I am skeptical of this, but it could be true.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's just a holdover from when he and his parents would "buy" a woman from her parents. It would be cool if "dismantling the patriarchy" got around to doing something that would benefit both men and women, but I guess they're too busy tilting at windmills or fighting drovers or being tossed in blankets to do anything like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because women didn't even get to choose who they got to marry hundreds of years ago, their father would come to agreement with a man and give her away to him (to put it in short terms) men started saying "only if she wants me" out of respect, giving them a slight ability to say no. That evolved to proposals and thats as far as we've gotten in the evolution of engagement

0|0
    0|0
  • Many women like to be romanced and "pursued". Also, I've noticed most women are ready for engagement before the men are, so the last one ready for marriage does the proposing.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't think you have to wonder this anymore. The whole thing is going away.

2|2
    0|0
  • The same reason we want sex more-- testosterone. The same reason girls consider it to be more attractive to BE chased, rather than chase, and guys consider the opposite more attractive (assuming they're successful). Humans are animals.

0|1
    0|0
  • It’s just how it goes. I bought my badass a diamond ring and I’m hoping to show it to her next week when I see her. I told her I want to marry her I just don’t have the balls to actually ask the actual formal question yet lol

0|0
    0|0
  • Because when different kingdoms wanted to be allies they needed an unbreakable bond, and that was the Catholic marriage (at least on the Western world).
    It's really important to understand that in most civilizations only some men could have property (this included slaves and women).

0|0
    0|0
  • Back in the day marriage was taken more seriously and beating your wife was legal, so the man would get around the law by grabbing her hand and getting in a stable position to yank her down and make her punch herself in the face if she rejected him.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because historically women were property and marriage was a transaction.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's because technically marriage is men owning women. Products don't go buy me you go I want you. Hence why the father's pass on their daughter at the aisle. From one man's ownership to the next. Go traditional am I right

0|0
    0|1
  • Generally speaking in history women didnot power many rights, but men had, so men were the one used to approach women. But now there are major changes, still lot of women dont approach men.

0|0
    0|0
  • At first it was just asked not proposed and marriage was for money and power. After that it was just asked but out of love. Then the diamond company made a advertisement and people started proposing

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they offer resources of some kind. It's not nice to ask for such a large gift.

0|0
    0|0
  • Animals do it too, Males are the ones that call females for mating and try to impress them so It's in our nature

1|0
    0|0
  • because it stems all the way back to Knights in armor

Chivalry has a hand in it
    but chivalry is good in my opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • Because historically men held all the power and resources and choosing a wife allowed multiple households to combine resources.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because women are much more sensitive than men generally, hence men can deal with a no much better than a female can.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because women were property. It's an antiquated arrangement.. all this needs to be cut out

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a gesture for having respect and hold you/your connection high

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 11

• Because historically women were the property of their fathers or eldest brother. You had to ask for her in a business transaction.

Marriage had very little to do with love back in the day, especially for the ruling classes.

2|0
    0|0
  • Because women were property up for sale. And Property doesn’t exactly have a say.
    But even when that part was over, the women were and still are spineless with no voice. We aren’t property anymore. So it makes no sense for us to not go after what we want.

0|0
    0|0
  • Men have always been the more dominant gender of humans (not saying women can't be dominant and men can't be submissive), so I think that it just started with men doing mostly everything so of course they had to pursue relationships.

0|1
    0|0
  • maybe because of genetics with all those testosterone and females from way before were seen as submissive and men are more expressive.

0|0
    0|0
  • I feel like it's because it is more masculine to take such a risk.

0|0
    0|0
  • To get money, lands, power and an heirs (son).

0|0
    0|0
  • I just want to read the comments

0|1
    0|0
  • Genes.

0|0
    0|0
  • It has changed now

0|0
    0|0
  • Cause man supposed to bed the head of household?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes