How soon after a break up do you start to feel you are ready for another relationship?

After a long term relationship ended I felt like I missed the relationship itself, not the person I was with. it's been a few months and I still want a relationship I just don't feel ready yet. is this normal? how long does it take you to feel like you're ready to try again?

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Well for me it took so long. We broke up on good terms and i was in contact with him for a year or two which made it even harder to go on. I went on my first date after 3 years. But it still didn't feel right to me.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends really.. this time I met a guy two weeks after my ex broke up with me. I didn't feel like talking to a new guy, but with him it just felt so natural.. like we've known us for years. So I guess it's about meeting the right person.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• It kind of depends. I have had experiences where I loved the relationship, and not my partner. I had already disconnected somewhere along the way, so moving on was easy as I had already started the process ahead of time.

Then there is the breakup where I loved them beyond the end of the relationship. It was traumatic. That is where some significant time had to pass before I was ready.

2|0
    0|0
  • length of time depends on the individual
    personal note: I was married just shy of 10 years, during and thereafter the divorce i was a mess. Friends with benefits helped to ease into single life. It's been 4 years now and I'm still uncomfortable with a relationship, mostly trust issues.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 10

• It's normal. There is no set time for being ready to move on though. It would not be fair to you or to the next person if you moved on before you were ready. Learn to be happy alone again first.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how the break up happen. if a person has cheated on another person while in a relationship. doesn't take long to get back in shape. If long-term relationship. it about 3 -5 weeks I think.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess it's up to when you feel ready, no need to rush or overthink. You'll meet someone and boom, you'd imagine how it would be dating them or start noticing more pretty ladies on the street, and you'll know

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how deep the relationship was at the time

0|1
    0|0
  • A couple months or a year to get back to feeling like your old self

0|0
    0|0
  • Not for while

0|0
    0|0
  • Immediately

0|0
    0|0
  • Whenever you want

0|0
    0|0
  • Similar to how long the previous relationship was.

0|0
    0|0
  • Right away.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 21

• there's a lot at play here.
    The ability to let go plays into effect because that is associated with memories whether deep, behavioral, or triggered.

The more bonded experiences the longer it would take.

Such as:

Nicknames
    Shared inside jokes
    Demographics
    Shared friends
    Emotions
    Etc etc

The association itself is source of the longing they we inscribe as pain or pleasure.

So strong relationships take longer than weak ones no matter the duration.

0|0
    0|0
  • Science claims that it takes an average of one-half of the time you were together to start to feel okay again after the break-up. I can speak from experience that this is accurate. After being in a very scarring situation for 2 years I feel OKAY again after almost a year, and after eliminating every drug besides sugar.

0|0
    0|0
  • For me it is how many break ups have you endured. The more times you break-up with someone the harder it is to start again. At least that is how it affects me. I am ready to say never again at this point.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how long you were in a relation ship. If you were dating someone for like a month it would be reletively soon before I start dating again. If it were a long term relation ship say 2 to 3 years, it would take me a couple months to even start thinking about talking to other people.

0|0
    0|0
  • I am young so for me to move on it takes a month or 2 before I fall for someone or just lust for that feeling of being liked. Getting out there and showing your single and want a relationship can lead to many opportunities. Whether it's a one night stand that leads to a coffee date in the morning or that girl you see come to the same place as you all the time. Look at things around you and be open to possibilities and go for them worst they can say is no. Get up and keep going.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you probably feel like you're not ready because, as you've relized, you like the idea of being in a relationship more than who you're actually with. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be in a relationship but it can cause you to rush into a relationship and end up with a person who wil screw up your idea of a relationship even more. when you meet somebody who realy catches your attention and makes you feel like nothing else matters, i would say you're ready

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on the person you were with, how important was to you and it also depends to know what do you want. Maybe you need some time to meet yourself again, to spend time with him and stuff. Dont chase the relationship thing, when you find a good person u won't even think about it as a word, it will just be.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say whenever you're ready, you are allowed to move on! It took me a really long time (year) with a long term relationship, but took my ex like 3 weeks. Kurds whatever makes you feel happy. Don't rush it if it seems forced.

0|0
    0|0
  • if u were very much connected to your last one then it will take a lot of time.. even if u hook up with another girl... till your next girlfriend can't heal your wounds of last breakup

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm 2 years out, and still not sure I want to go down that route

1|1
    0|0
  • Everyone is different and it depends on how long you were in the relationship. 6months to a year

0|0
    0|0
  • Id say a couple months to a year, but it depends on how the relationship was actually going

0|0
    0|0
  • The same thing happened with me, the only difference was that I ended the relationship, so I really didn't have any hard feelings about it. A month later I started feeling that I miss her, when really I was just missing a relationship, but I didn't feel like initiating a new one, when I really did have a chance. And one day around a few months after the initial breakup I started noticing women around me and started feeling like I would want to start a relationship, so it's really just down to when it clicks and you are ready.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dunno... longer than it has been so far...

0|0
    0|0
  • As soon as I can find another piece of pussy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Two years

0|0
    0|0
  • I need a week to get over a girl

0|0
    0|0
  • A long dmn time

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't get over it from like 2months...

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how deep was your relationship..

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes