How to stop being disappointed in relationships?

I feel I don’t expect too much. I expect what I give. I just want a man’s time, love, appreciation and heart. I don’t ask for materialistic things, nor do I expect them. I offer to split the bill with the men I date, and sometimes I’ll even pay for the meal. I feel I am honest, and open with them, and give them my time and 99% of the time I keep my promises to them (unless something serious comes up and I have to cancel or can’t pull through). I don’t give the men I date attitudes and I treat them with respect.

I am currently dating a guy who I thought was a good match for me. However, it’s been about 4 months in, and he started a new job, and he has to wake up early, and lately he’s been giving me an attitude or being cranky with me. I really don’t like it. I brought it up to him and he apologized and said he is just tired and he has been cranky with his family too. I told him I understood. We ended the call and I texted him “goodnight <3”. He didn’t reply to it. This morning he texted me “sorry i didn’t reply. I’m excited to see you today!”

I am just disappointed. I know people aren’t perfect. But, even on my crankiest, most sleep deprived, most stressful days I have always treated him with respect. Maybe i am just over thinking it.

1232

Most Helpful Guys

• What you need to do is be assertive with him, and say look I appreciate you are having problems, but if you continue to treat with no respect me. I will have no option, to end the relationship with you.

Or the other thing you could say, I really like you and everything, but if you are having problems, and being rude me, then I think we should give each other space, until you have sorted your problems.

You don't want to be aggressive with him, cause you will make yourself more important than him,

you don't want to be passive aggressive, like be cold with him or anything, because then you are making him more important than you,

You want to be assertive with him, because you are making each other both important to regards to the issues going on in the relationship. ,

• You need to talk to him about love languages. It sounds like you most value words of affirmation and quality time. Like you said you could care less about gifts and it sounds like physical touch or acts of service are lower priorities for you. Talk to him about it and make it clear that even when he is feeling negatively that his words (and tone) as well as his quality time are most important to you. That will help him set expectations and plan his days so that he gives you what you want. Also make sure to hear and accept his love languages because if he is feeling loved he will have positive energy that will come back to you, like a cycle.
    Also be sure to communicate and talk about these things often, maybe once a week. Almost like a business meeting set aside time to work on your relationship. Doesn't always have to be a complaint session or a blame game, but should be a time to review the past week and talk about future goals and expectations. Openly admit to things you feel guilty for and give him the space and freedom (in other words don't punish him) for admitting to messing up and falling short. Only if you put in constant work will you be less disappointed in your relationship.

Most Helpful Girls

• You might be overthinking it a little. But you do have expectations. The unfortunate part is that men and women are different in relationships. Women are more emotionally involved and think any infraction means something is wrong. And it is easy to be disappointed, but you need to give it a little more time to see if it starts to even out a little. If it doesn't you need to talk with him and explain yourself and what you expect. It is the time for compromises if he cannot completely get on board with what you expect. Might be due to work, family, time, etc. You need to be respectful of that as well.

• You sound like me 😄.
    My partner isn’t like me in a few ways. It can work and I am just working on managing expectations and how the little things bugged me but in the grand scheme of our relationship they really are not big deals or red flags.

• I just get upset sometimes. Especially because I show him my love and appreciation even on his bad days. And when he was stressing yesterday, I tried to make him feel better and make him laugh and put a smile on his face. But, still, he gave me this attitude at the end :/ it also really hurt when I texted him goodnight <3 and he didn’t say anything. Our relationship is a good one, but, I think I will pull away a little bit and just mirror his actions :/ (i don’t mean give an attitude haha)

• Men process emotions differently. Try asking him if there is anything they need? Does he need space, feeding or just time to sleep? Men seem to intuitively know when a woman needs space (maybe through self preservation or just not knowing how to respond 😄)
      I know it’s upsetting but try to remove the emotive thoughts behind his actions and acknowledge them for what they are. It is difficult being a more emotional gender but men really don’t think that you might be waiting for that text back. They think they have done a good job to text you in the morning the next day. I show my partner love etc on his bad days but sometimes I think I just need to leave him to it and go enjoy something else. If I push my partner whilst he is tired etc and fawn over him I can see he just gets more tense and normally results in him snapping at me rather than just saying I need sleep etc. I’m sure he appreciates you for who you are but sometimes it may just be too much.