Is saying I love you after a month of dating, and a week of an official relationship too soon?

So my boyfriend just told me he loved me. But i think its too soon. Like waaaaayyy too soon. Can you actually love someone after this short amount of time? And whats too soon?
  • Yes
  • No

5984

Most Helpful Guys

• It really just depends on the situation. Like if you feel like you don't know him enough, yeah it might.

I hate people who try to quantify it by days or weeks. If you're going to quantify it, then what about the people who get to know people really slow or fast? That's why I don't say that.

Thats why I say once you feel like its time. Once you feel like you know this person enough and feel comfortable with it. Obviously you don't feel comfortable so it's not time.. even if I said its not too soon, you would object over it so lol.

• Not really. Feelings can develop, but those are all mixed up with the newness of the relationship, having someone take an interest you, being able to open up to someone, and the physical interactions with a new person. All of this rushing in over the next few months can be overwhelming, and feel very close to love.

I tend to be very reserved when using the "L" word. For one, I don't want it to develop into a casual thing. I hear it all of the time from other couples. Walking out the door; "Going out, love you" with a reply, "Love you too, have a good time." What that's your goodbye now? Seriously? Where's the meaning and emotion behind something like that?
    However, you choose to use the word is up to you. Just don't confuse infatuation with love. When things begin to calm down you will know if you love someone or not. It's an unmistakable feeling, that you will never forget. Once you get it, it's like a drug, you can't get enough of it.

Most Helpful Girls

• everyone is different. it is not too soon if he feels it. feelings do not have a tie line. getting freaked out about it is pretty artificial. you can not 'judge' a feeling. its a very personal thing. he may just be very emotionally stable and comfortable with his feelings and able to express it without neurotic tendencies. it probably sees soon bc he's being honest, whereas most people say how they feel much later than they feel it bc people react the way you are ;p

I think he probably meant he is 'in' love, feeling love. The act of loving is not just a thing that happens to you but a choice, and is proven over time through hardship adversity etc. it is not only 'felt'. you guys have not been together long enough for anyone to really have demonstrated the act of love. but he can definitely feel love this early on. he can definitely be in love. you can fall in love pretty quickly. if you ever ran into a cute puppy or found a new favorite song. or visited a country you were completely taken by. a beautiful sunset... you can fall in love quite easily, and fall out. So enjoy it while its here. if you waste time worrying, you will miss it.

there is no way to hold onto being in love. proving he really feels it now, or if he didn't feel it till later, doesn't matter ultimately. there is no safety in such a passionate feeling it comes it goes. waiting would not mean its last longer. its like the whether. whatever is happening whenever it happens its real and it always changes. if its the kind of day you like, just enjoy it while its here. and just bc it changes does not mean it does not exist, its just 'different'.

people do not necessarily stay in love but they can still care and stay together. id say its not too soon for him to feel anything but its ay too soon to be worrying about it.

• I always thought a relationship was about validating the feelings you have for each other, not wishful thinking that you might one day develop those feelings, but apparently I'm the odd one for feeling that way.

• See i think a relationship is about that too but it’s different when you’re not on the same level on how you feel