Would you give your partner a second chance if they cheated on you?

Updates:
How come people give their partner a second chance when they cheated or even got someone pregnant?
And do u think it right for someone to give their partner a second chance? Even though they said they love them.

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• No because it's likely that they will do it again

1|0
    0|0
  • No if they did it once they’ll do it again history repeats itself if not learned

3|2
    0|0
    • Because it could be a matter of things like the idealization of the one that true special person everyone is waiting but in fact there is no special one and people think oh he/she might be the one and they go back to a horrible relationship or they don’t want to be alone and go back but I think id rather be alone than have bad company

• And no I don’t think it’s a good idea I mean the ex might have changed but it’s rare and not only that there’s a reason why they are your ex and it might be better they stay like that

Most Helpful Girls

• Trust and respect is the foundation of every relationship. Cheating is an active choice to find sexual and emotional satisfaction from somewhere else. It is not a mistake, it is an active choice. The moment he chose to do that, he also chose to mess your relationship up. So no, second chances is not good. Leave him, to prevent further damage on your side. He doesn't love nor need you anymore, the cheating proves that. You shouldn't settle for something like that.

6|3
    0|2
  • Nope. They don't deserve nor are trustworthy for another chance

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 206

• I would give them a chance to get out of the door before I exploded in rage! Nothing justifies domestic violence but I understand people becoming violence when they discover that their SO or spouse has been cheating.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. Nothing says she doesn't want to be with you more than cheating on you.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Since I do my best to be an annoyingly understanding person.😂 I'd obviously be INCREDIBLY livid at first, and need a full day to breathe and calm down. But then I'd come back and talk to her about it, try and understand how and why she did it, and then make her swear that if she feels that way again, to come to me instead. Unlike most guys my age, I have an insane tolerance and patience for bs. It doesn't mean I'll just take shit all the time. I have a 2 strike rule which is that if something happens twice. Change something to ensure it does NOT happena. Third time. This stems from the fact that I am very extroverted, but also really socially awkward. Not to mention a whole oyher bunch of mental stuff I work hard to grow through every day. One of them is that I have to put in 8x the conscious effort to do a simple thing that the average person won't even think about. One of the biggest ones is being social and reaching out to people, and even more so, spending time with them. It takes an enormous amount of energy for me to talk to people, so if I consider you a friend I value you more than other people value a simple friend. So. Bring that uo one step. If I am dating you, I probably already REALLY like you. So, combine the amount of energy, with the amount of time I also invest in a relationship, I do NOT want to see that wasted over a small moment of weakness. Regardless of your personality or what kind of person you are. I am definitely the most loyal friend, lover and companion you will ever have, so I have the same values on other people. I don't expect similar treatment, but I simply seek acknowledgment of the fact.
    So, in short, yes. I would 100% give her a second chance...

But that would be it. I can handle my heart being broken to pieces. I'm used to picking them up and have gotten good at it. I don't enjoy it at all though, because it still takes time to do. But i can recover fine.
    But if someone is just gonna help pick the pieces back up and smash it again, that's when I cut them out of my life.
    I am definitely NOT aaying cheating is okay. It is a clear betrayal of trust, loyalty and comittment. I'm simply saying that I amore tolerant of it, because we live in a society where everything is grey, and feelngs are all over the place.
    I'd rather help my love understand why she did what she did, while also learning to understand in my own way, than just give up there and start again somewhere. So, that is my reason. Hope it helps.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not really. Truth be told depending on the circumstances the fact that she didn't cheat for as long as she did would be surprising, assuming she has already done so and i just learned about it. I honestly don't expect anyone to be faithful in a relationship. Sooner or later they are gonna get bored.

1|0
    0|0
  • Would depend on the circumstances.
    If it was a same sex cheat and sexual only and she told me about it, then yes.
    If it was heterosexual cheat, only sexual and she told me about it then probably yes after I calmed down.
    If she lied about it probably no.
    If it was more than just sex but also romance and love, then No.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Never. Once you cheat, you're dead to me.
    Giving someone a second chance is like giving her the permission to do it again, since she'll think you'll forgive her again.

4|0
    0|0
  • No if they cheated it shows the kind of person they are. If they were willing to cheat on you then the love you gave wasn't enough for them which isn't acceptable

4|0
    0|0
  • Of course I would. Most people are brought up to think sex is the Holy Grail of a relationship. It's not, it's just sex. The truth is the relationship has nothing to do with sex. It's all about the emotional support with one another how you show eachother you care. Doing something nice for one another. Being there when the other one needs you. Sex is just sex

1|1
    0|0
  • Not my first rodeo, and yes circumstances, depth of your relationship and even age group are factors. Forgiving them because it's worse than lossing them completely seems like no brainer? Its not, that initial trust is broken and it will never be the same. Life goes on, you should too.

1|0
    0|0
  • In my opinion, yes, if you love him so much and you want him back in your life, but you need to be more careful about this second chance, if he have regrets about this and if you help him to be a better man, yes.

1|0
    1|0
  • no. I dont forgive, i dont forget, and i dont give second chances. Once someone cheats on me they stop being human to me.

3|0
    0|0
  • No, my trust is lost entirely then. I couldn't handle knowing that they have the audacity to know what they're doing and still commit to and follow through with cheating on their partner. I've been cheated on a few times and I have never gotten back together with any of them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell yeah. Why not, she just had an itch. Now she really knows what is better.

2|1
    0|0
  • Hell no. I would have soo many doubts. Its like being someone backup plan? Does she really have any feelings for me?

2|0
    0|0
  • There's a chance but it want build a health relationship in the future, the past is like cancer it spreads throughout your life. And being in a unhappy relationship, is worst then not being with anyone at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would even if it stun like shit but a 2nd chance they deserve it but if they cheat again just leave then because its not worth it but all people deserve a 2nd chance unless they try to kill you lol

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends who and why. If you cheated because he has something I don't eh might not be too mad will say stay there but not too mad but cheat for someone who has nothing then again eh stay there no accepting back lol stay there with nothing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is entitled to a fun fuck. As long as they're honest about, it was no more than the horn striking and just sex.
    Romantic attachments are another thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on a lot of factors, how soon he tells me, why did it happen, honesty, what happened etc...

But sex I think I wouldn't forgive ever.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on honesty.
    How soon they mention it and what it meant to them.
    conversation and choices though

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 108

• Maybe if it happened during the first month or so when things aren't certain or established yet but if it happens after 5 or 6 months then its instant break up.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have. He kissed someone else, I gave him a second chance and after 2,5 years I don't regret it.

2|1
    0|0
  • I'll give him a second chance to fuck off.

1|1
    0|0
  • Only if we were married and with kids. I would give him a second chance but it wouldn't be a free pass. Wed be marching our asses to couples counseling, he'd be going to his own private service. If it was some bullshit answer about not getting enough sex then I'd dump his ass and he can pay for it with whatever money he has left. If he's open to admitting a deeper problem like lack of intimacy, respect, childhood problems surfacing, real things that take time and don't involve the objectification of another person, then for the sake of the kids and for the love I'd invested in him I would try my best to help him through it. The I want more sex is complete bullshit because women have sex drives but it's usually things like working full time and parenting full time and not having time to ourselves to relax let alone feel pretty or desired, then I think we'd have more energy for sex. So I think in most cases where a man complains his wife isn't giving sex, I think he isn't giving enough to the relationship (chores, emotional support, parental support) to allow her to prioritize sex as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • NO FECKING WAY! Once getting fucked over was enough. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice than it's shame on me.

3|3
    1|0
  • If I really loved the guy I would want to but I don't think I'd let myself get back with him.
    Once someone has broken the trust in the relationship it would be almost impossible not to be on edge, wondering when/if they're going to do it again.

Also if someone really cares about you they wouldn't want to risk losing you. By giving into that they've just proven to you that they don't care if they lose you, because if they did they'd never risk ruining the relationship 🤷🏻‍♀️

0|0
    0|0
  • Let me introduce myself. 👌
    I am a girl who has planned to be sexual only with one thing.
    That thing is a breathing creature.
    That creature is a human being.
    That human being is a male.
    That male is my future husband.🤘
    Now let me ask a rhetorical question!✋
    A girl like me would give a boy like that a chance? 👎

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I have a saying I live by: If you don't know what you've got while you've got it, then you don't deserve to have it.

I have never, and would never, cheat on my boyfriend or husband. And I expect the same back.

0|0
    0|0
    • I will give second chance to express her and humans are made to do mistakes.

• No, maybe if it was emotional but anything physical, no. That's disgusting. To imagine him inside someone else, fuck him, he's never touching me again.

1|0
    0|0
  • no, trust is ruined after that and i feel like if you give them a second chance they will take for granted and cheat on you again cause they know you will just take them back. Don't settle with someone who clearly disrespects you.

0|1
    0|0
  • I gave my ex a second chance to make things right/better, but he did the same damn thing; cheated and claimed that he was "too busy for me", which in reality he was chatting with other women and didn't have feelings for me. That was a lesson learned to not give a cheating man a second chance, that's his chance to make a jackass out of me once AGAIN. I am not going to let a man think that treating me poorly is okay when it's not. After all, you teach people how to treat you. ;)

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. They made the decision to cheat and they don't deserve the chance to do so again

3|0
    0|0
  • Depends on a few factors. Not every "cheating" is the same. If they did something once, when they were drunk, and they came clean about it and were honest straight away, then yeah I'd probably give them another chance.

On the other hand, if it was a continuous thing that had been going on for a while, and I found out myself and they weren't honest or whatever, then no I wouldn't give them a second chance.

0|0
    0|0
  • If they told me up front and didn't lie about it. I honestly hate when people lie. Its easier to just say ya I did it. Women, especially will remember that shit and 10 years later bring it up at the most inconvenient time.
    Been there done that. Use to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not. I tried to make it work with my ex who cheated. That was a huge mistake. The cheating partner should be willing to do anything to help regain trust.

0|0
    0|0
  • It. I give my ex-bf a second chance before I met my current boyfriend. My ex-bf did cheat on me again. so I dumped him and I was smarter enough to caught him. I am with a new guy that I met off facebook.

0|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't. Mostly because I simply can't overlook the fact that he broke my trust and our mutual agreement of commitment. For me one of the biggest things in a relationship are trust and communication and if both of those are missing there's not really much to work with. I am generally not one to hold grudges, but with cheating it's very different. It's not really an accident nor some unconscious act. An accident I can overlook, cheating is just a no-go for me. If you cheat there's no going back, and the possibilities of doing it again are very much high. So I don't think I'd risk it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Context is super important. If they were sober or dead drunk. If they told you right away or you had to find out on your own. If they seemed genuinely distressed and sorry or faked. All these things need to be taken into account. Also have they ever cheated before on you or on another partner? Another thing, how do you define cheating? sex, kissing, sexual affection, something else (like sharing a special experience that you agreed would only be between you two). Do you trust them not to to do it again?

0|0
    0|0
  • No way. I gave my ex a second chance after cheating on me and he only hurt me more. Never again will I do that

0|0
    0|0
  • Hell no once they cheat on me... weather it is fantasizing about another woman with them... or etc that is it I'm done

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes