Is it bad to express insecurities to my bf?

My boyfriend’s best friend has a girlfriend. My boyfriend and this girl have a friendship through my bf’s best friend. We all went out one night, and I noticed that the girl tends to get close to my boyfriend sometimes, and gives him a little more attention that I’m ok with. I’m not sure if I became so insecure, or was more on my guard because previously my boyfriend told me that one night at a party, after the girl and her boyfriend were talking of ending the relationship, the girl got drunk and started giving my boyfriend “looks”. At the time he told me, I felt uncomfortable. Then I see how she acts around him when drunk and it bothered me. I mentioned it to my boyfriend, and he got a little upset. He also came off kind of defensive and it made me feel so dumb and pathetic. I thought it would be best to voice my insecurities to him. He told me “ok, yeah. we aren’t going to hangout with her again”. Which i guess is a solution to the problem. But, now I feel like a jerk. And now I feel like I never want to mention an insecurity to him again.

2047

Most Helpful Guys

• If there was no truth in what you said, he wouldn't have become defensive. You need to trust your instincts and not back down at the first sign of unpleasantness.

He knows what you said is true, but there may be a part of him that enjoys it. However, when you need to tell another person to have better boundaries, there is a problem.

• He told me that he didn’t have any feelings for her, and he didn’t even care for her like that. He’s only friends with her because she’s his best friend’s girlfriend. When i told him “no, why wouldn’t we hangout with her again?” He said “because, why should we. I don’t even care for her that much”. But, he just got upset about me mentioning it and said that maybe she spent the most time with him because was the most outgoing and talkative, and maybe she looked over at us/him, because we are a cute couple. But, I just felt weird about it. I’m not so sure. I’m afraid now I ruined his friendship and my relationship.

• ''I’m afraid now I ruined his friendship and my relationship. ''

This is exactly why people remain silent when things aren't right, fear of loss. You should be able to voice an opinion or concern without worry of losing. Also his response ''“ok, yeah. we aren’t going to hangout with her again”.

That is passive aggressive and dismissive. All that would need to be done is for him to set clear boundaries with her. Having said that, I believe few men and women can only be friends, there is often some kind of tension.

Your problem is you keep on second guessing yourself and this destroys the power of discernment or intuition.

• insecurity isn't attractive to either sex. That said, you did need to say something. Guys do not have well developed "no" buttons to female come-ons. All our efforts are to getting her to say yes-not to turning them down. But you've let him know it bothers you and that is enough. If he continues then drop his ass-he doesn't respect you. He knows you don't like it now and have noticed. That said if you notice her coming on to him again that's not necessarily his fault-unless he reciprocates in the flirtation

Most Helpful Girls

• I’d just let him know that it worries you, but don’t try to make him cut ties with either of them of course. I’m sure he’ll reassure you about it, and I doubt that anything will happen between them with his consent, seeing as he did tell you about the girl giving him “looks”. Just be honest!

• I didn’t try and make him cut ties. He said himself “we aren’t going to hangout with her again”. That really upset me. He did reassure me that he doesn’t like her, and she probably hung around him because he was the most talkative and loud one there.

I just wanted to tell him that it worries me. But, he didn’t really take it well. So, now I feel like a jerk and want to fix it. But, I don’t know how to.

• He didn’t take it well, as in, he got defensive.

• Then let him know that you’re not worried about him, but the girl flirting with him

• My last relationship ended with this problem, because he didn't stop seeing her. Voice your problem. The result is peace or know you don't fit together

• He said we wouldn’t hangout with her anymore. But, that hurt me.

• I know. It feels like a splinter in the heart. A little sting constantly.

• Yeah :/ i am not sure that was the solution I wanted. I feel I just caused a problem.