Do good looking people have higher standards for dating than average people?

• Yes
  • No
  • See results
    Vote C

2040

Most Helpful Girls

• There's a movie documentary called "The Science of Sex Appeal" in which there's an experiment which explains this. Of course explains just sexual attraction (without any personality trait in consideration, just looks).

In the experiment everybody had a number but couldn't see their own, there were 10 men and 10 women rated from 1 to 10 and had to try to get matched with the highest rated person they could. They repeated the experiment without numbers, now the number was based in the average of the opposite sex ratings. In the end, people usually ends with someone with similar beauty. For example, in the first part of the experiment the person with the 7, ended with a 7, a 8 or a 6, but never ended with the 9 or the 5.

So the experiment stated that people naturally and unawarelly tend to look for someone with similar level of attractiveness as they are.

But our self perception also affects. If someone has a low self-esteem, might think it's not as beauty as they really are and would have lower standards, and vice versa, if someone it's vain might put their standards higher. Besides when we put personality in consideration everything changes and we can care less about beauty similarity.

In resume, yes, in general we could say the more attractive someone is and the more aware of their attractiveness the higher standards they will have.

• They might have higher standards but they aren't necessarily higher physical standards. The guy I'm with rejected a very hot and very rich 18 year old girl to be with me when I don't have the kind of money that she does.

Most Helpful Guys

• Like attracts like, not opposites attract. Beauty attracts beauty. That's probably not the whole picture though, because humans are much more than what they look like.

• Of course.

Everyone has a "social market value" that is a combination of your looks, your personality, and your attitude, and perhaps a few other factors (wealth, location, education, etc.).

To make these complex comparisons a little easier to talk about, we often assign a "point value" on a 10 scale.

If you are a 5, you are most likely to end up with a 5. You might pull a 6, and maybe in a rare instance of luck, you might pull a 7, but a 5 is never going to get an 8 or above.

Likewise, if you are a 9, you will have tons of 6s, 7s, and 8s after you all the time - and they probably won't excite you much. It will usually take a 9 or higher to get your attention - or if you choose a 7 or 8, it's to use them like a paper towel - use once and dispose.

If you want to pull someone of a higher social value, you have to find a way to improve your own value.