Do good looking people have higher standards for dating than average people?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • See results
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Girls

• There's a movie documentary called "The Science of Sex Appeal" in which there's an experiment which explains this. Of course explains just sexual attraction (without any personality trait in consideration, just looks).

In the experiment everybody had a number but couldn't see their own, there were 10 men and 10 women rated from 1 to 10 and had to try to get matched with the highest rated person they could. They repeated the experiment without numbers, now the number was based in the average of the opposite sex ratings. In the end, people usually ends with someone with similar beauty. For example, in the first part of the experiment the person with the 7, ended with a 7, a 8 or a 6, but never ended with the 9 or the 5.

So the experiment stated that people naturally and unawarelly tend to look for someone with similar level of attractiveness as they are.

But our self perception also affects. If someone has a low self-esteem, might think it's not as beauty as they really are and would have lower standards, and vice versa, if someone it's vain might put their standards higher. Besides when we put personality in consideration everything changes and we can care less about beauty similarity.

In resume, yes, in general we could say the more attractive someone is and the more aware of their attractiveness the higher standards they will have.

1|1
    0|0
  • They might have higher standards but they aren't necessarily higher physical standards. The guy I'm with rejected a very hot and very rich 18 year old girl to be with me when I don't have the kind of money that she does.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Like attracts like, not opposites attract. Beauty attracts beauty. That's probably not the whole picture though, because humans are much more than what they look like.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course.

Everyone has a "social market value" that is a combination of your looks, your personality, and your attitude, and perhaps a few other factors (wealth, location, education, etc.).

To make these complex comparisons a little easier to talk about, we often assign a "point value" on a 10 scale.

If you are a 5, you are most likely to end up with a 5. You might pull a 6, and maybe in a rare instance of luck, you might pull a 7, but a 5 is never going to get an 8 or above.

Likewise, if you are a 9, you will have tons of 6s, 7s, and 8s after you all the time - and they probably won't excite you much. It will usually take a 9 or higher to get your attention - or if you choose a 7 or 8, it's to use them like a paper towel - use once and dispose.

If you want to pull someone of a higher social value, you have to find a way to improve your own value.

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 18

• I voted yes but only because the really attractive people who are approached often have so much choice in thier lives there isn't a reason not to get someone more to thier tastes. It really depends on the individual though. In my experience the only people with low standards have low self esteem, and high standards with over inflated esteem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lol yes typically... most attractive people think they rule the world just because they are attractive and think that excuses their ill behavior. In the end, it gets them nowhere because no one wants to date a pretty girl who is a bitch, or a handsome guy who is a dick

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it depends on the person. I have met some very good looking people who were dating/have dated “less” physically attractive people. I don’t believe all attractive people are shallow and superficial :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say yes but not specifically for attractiveness. People are attracted to other who look as if they take good care of themselves and have their stuff together. The look and attitude is the standard

0|1
    0|0
  • Depending on the person... if personality is more important to you then you will choose someone depending on their personality... or the more terrible example, look at certain woman who date certain men for money... depends on the person...

0|0
    0|0
  • No they usually date average who won't cheat on them

0|0
    0|0
  • Not really, but eventually they might due to learning from experiences that they really should.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you can get a Lamborghini, why going for a Toyota?

0|0
    0|0
  • Some do, everyone is different. They might just want someone that’s going to treat em right so they have high standards for personality

0|0
    0|0
  • Some do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably

0|0
    0|1
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Some definitely do

0|0
    0|0
  • Some do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes sure. They're hardly single.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Like attracts like, so you could say that good looking people have higher standards.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 38

• Not Always- one might be surprised sometimes.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends if they know they're beautiful or not tbh I mean you get some stunning people who just think they're average and think maybe they're a bit below cuz they don't get approached when in reality it's because people assume they'll act a certain way or they're too shy to make a move

0|0
    0|0
  • Looks is not the only parameter of attractiveness.

For men, being successful and having money can be much more attractive than being stupid, lazy, and great looking.

For women, good looks can be negated by being a bitch and a sweet girl can be elevated over average looks.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only in finding people who are good looking as they are. The best looking people I know are train wrecks in their personal lives. They move in and out of relationships quickly, don’t settle down in the long term and are narcissistic.

0|0
    0|0
  • They have a better sale price. They can ask for more in return but not every good looking person does... but I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually they might have lower standards... there was a video I saw explaining how most guys will go for less attractive partners due to a lack of self-esteem, meaning that attractive girls get approached less and might think they are less attractive than they actually are, causing them to settle for less attractive partners. (Not sure if this is true for the opposite genders as well.)

0|0
    0|0
  • As a good looking person I say yes, as a man my problem is I have below average and average looking women available to me, but I can't get the girls on my level In looks because the young hottest girls are at their peek and expect a lot more from a man. Money, experience, charisma, charm. All keys of the puzzle yet to unlock for me

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the person but mostly yes. I would say not so much because directly being "good looking" but more that they have had a lot more of a line up to deal with. Not always the case, some people just know what they are looking for and dont dink around with people they assume doesn't fit that

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, usually. There is a theory called "matching hypothesis theory" which states that people usually go for people within their looks range.

With that said, good-looking people usually date people on their same level of attractiveness.

0|0
    0|0
  • They will have more options, especially with todays superficial dating apps. Whether that means they have higher standards or not is another thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Good looking people know they are good looking. Average looking people are usually not too sure how they appear to others so they have doubts over what their standards are.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course. Its just something they were born with and didn't have to work for, you can call it unfair, but they do bring more to the table

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course, women who are a 4 or 5 have higher standards than men who are an 8

0|1
    0|0
  • I feel like attractive people feel insecure sometimes because they have to live up to some sort of standard

0|0
    0|0
  • Because good looking people have invested in themselves and they expect the return to be the same or higher.

0|0
    0|0
  • I know I do. When you look good, and make good money you have to be more selective.

0|0
    0|0
  • They can usually afford to be more picky, so in general yes. There are always exceptions.

0|0
    0|0
  • They have even lower standards for dating than average people

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course.. I wouldn't want to be caught walking around with a hog

0|0
    0|0
  • Usually

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys