What do you guys think of online dating?

Personally I don't really do it; I'd rather go out and meet people. What do you guys think?
  • Good
    Vote A
  • Bad
    Vote B
  • Other (add opinion)
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• It's not for me, I prefer to meet people in person. Anybody can be anyone or anything online and you never really know who you are talking to, plus people can be hard to read online and your perception of them can be completely different than who they are. It just seems like it would be a waste of time for me.

1|2
    0|0
  • To be honest, I've considered it. I made a Tinder last December (mostly to meet guys on my campus, though, since no one ever went out and met people anyway) and considered looking into eHarmony/Match. com and things like that after college. That said, I've since decided against it. For one, I'm shy in real life, and somehow that social anxiety gets amplified online (riddle me that, b/c I haven't a clue how that works). I feel weird texting people online, since it doesn't feel real. I don't know the person, I can't relate to and get a feel for them--it's almost like a game, which is extremely weird, and I don't like it. At least when you're in person, you can gauge a person's body language, their initial reaction when you first meet them, whether what they're telling you is total BS or sincere based on something as simple as their gaze. People can disagree with me on this, but nothing beats meeting someone in person, especially in this age of online addiction and instant gratification.

1|0
    0|0
    • I totally agree , once in person , face to face , it's easier to gauge a person's mind set and "Reality"

Most Helpful Guys

• It's just a hookup mechanism. One person may not see if that way but the other probably does. Then there are the catfish, the conmen, then mentally ill and the bots. Really it's like walking through a minefield under a flock of shitting pigeons while wearing sandpaper underwear.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've commented on this a lot. Seems to be a very repeated question.

Lets first state that not all dating sites are equal. So it's like asking what do you think of vehicles (and not defining brand / type)

Meeting people in real life works well for some people, especially if your interests are mainstream and you are looking for another person who shares that. This immediately stops working if your interest is something you don't meet up to do.
    Lets say you like to drink and want someone who does, great go flirt at a club or bar. However if you don't drink and instead do some indoor activity it can be a lot harder.

Online dating has a truly massive range. There are sites like Anastasia where 9 hot white Russian/ Ukrainian women want you, it looks massively expensive and I doubt the women exist. Then there sites like DIA where it is free and the women pursue men aggresively and are very real.
    There is also sites like POF where it is a meat market, if you look ok, post full body pics shirtless with six pack you do well. There is a cost but it is reasonable.
    Or there are sites geared for quality matches like Eharmony, though I find it expensive and far to few matches.
    There are also sex specific sites like adult friend finder.
    Then there is the weird like Seeking Arrangements, where you can find a sugar daddy/ sugar momma or the reverse. Probably works if it is your thing.

I personally found OKC to be the best cheap/free, good legit matches.

Why I prefer online dating. First despite human intellect we don't wear anything obvious to indicate availability. Other than a wedding ring, I don't know if she has a bf/gf, is asexual, isn't looking, is, or what. I also don't know what interests she likes.

Online dating allows me to find many people from my area who have similar interests, who I know are both single and looking. I can also usually determine if they are looking for the same type of relationship. (FWB, short term, long, marriage, etc)

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 80

• I'm too socially awkward to meet people irl so I see online dating as my safe choice. I've noticed that it doesn't work for me a long time ago but I'm still desperate enough to keep going back.

1|5
    0|0
    • That sucks, I’m also kind of awkward, but I just feel like dating irl is safer and more reliable.

• Show All
    • @brennanhuff I'm not actually shy or introverted. I'm pretty social and outgoing but at the same time I'm super awkward interacting with people. I don't know if that really makes sense but that's how I am. The fact that I am loud and straightforward might as well be the reason why I never get approached. I do a lot of the approaching myself but I've always been rejected which we all know is pretty common when you put yourself out there. I think my awkwardness is part of the reason why that happens.

I personally don't see anything wrong with grabbing a drink the first time you meet someone. A bar is still a public place which gives me some sense of security. I've only ever been asked out once, though, so I don't have much experience with what could go wrong. I guess that's naive but I've no reason to expect the worst from people.

• I'm kind of that way, though I have trouble approaching women. But it's in the context of a bar or like. Have me in a class room or work and I'm around women and someone new and I'll be find talking and such. It's not your akwardness, you might be giving signs or lack of confidence that you aren't interested or guys not approaching you because they might think you're not interested in being appraoched? Sometimes just adjustments in body language or things you don't realize can help. But with a guy at a bar, at least you're seeing the dude in person. Online, you don't know who the guy is and it's basically like a blind date, because you don't know if those pics are really him. Just be smart and safe.

• Doesn’t work. Most guys don’t even write anything in their bio and they never read our bio. Plus I think guys and girls are using it mainly for hookups now.

3|0
    0|1
    • Works both ways. Plenty of women who don't put anything in bios and don't read others.
      Different sites offer different things, but from my experience it all seems to be quite superficial and based predominently on looks.

• Show All
    • I read the bio's and actually skip over any girl even if they are attractive if its "I don't know what to post Lol! Just send me a message".

• I try not to be rude or skip a potentially goid match but I agree with sawno

I want someone with similar interests, the least she can do is post what she likes to do.

• Looks nuts

0|0
    0|0
  • Finding someone to date online has been the best idea of my life! 9 months now! I signed up for match and he had messaged me the next day. Talked to him for about a week then he asked for my number and then said we should meet. I was shaking and nervous our first date. It was almost over... he was headed straight to my house way early... I thought he hated me! I got the courage to ask if we could ride around more. Found out later he thought I had had a bad time.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm on the fence about it. I've barely used it and didn't get much out of it, but I know of some people that found a great partner because of it, but I am also aware of the potential dangers of using dating apps. I don't use them for the same reason I don't use Uber - it's simply too dangerous and I'm actually quite a paranoid person around strangers. I'd rather have met someone and gotten to know them before even considering dating, and online dating apps aren't the best option for that.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's necessary these days in order to meet people. And it's a great concept, if most men wouldn't use it only to find booty calls and a bunch of women didn't use it just to get emotional validation from strangers. Frankly, if you're not serious about dating people, get the heck off a dating site.

0|1
    0|0
  • I used to feel the same as you. Then I started working a ton and realized I have no way to meet people haha.

1|1
    0|0
  • I would never do online dating. I prefer to go out and meet a guy in real life. I've never heard of any successful stories about online dating. I know there must be some out there , but I've never heard of any. I'm just superficial with people online. . There's too many insincere people online, so I need to know a guy in person before i'd consider dating him

0|0
    0|0
    • You must not be superficial anywhere. However yes, I agree the rest of online stuff is not authentic

• Show All
    • I hope you have flat tummy :)

• I love lean muscle type

• It has advantages but you still have to meet someone in real life even with meeting someone on line. If you can't do it in person can you do it when the people want to meet you? I would stay away from free dating sites because that is where you will usually find the fake profiles and cat fishers and even sexual predators. You get what you pay for, so some site like Match. com may be your best bet with finding someone actually looking for a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you wanna be careful because people can say I am this person and then u find out there lying or they can say something lying that will make u believe..

But I met my boyfriend on gag.. since August 2017 ..
    So I mean everyone met find there soulmate on online or in public

0|0
    0|0
  • I’ve been (kind of?) dating someone online for almost 6 months. We live in different countries and have only met once, but I care about him more than I’ve ever cared about anyone romantically.

Physical presence is very important in relationships, but I guess it is possible to connect online.

0|0
    0|0
  • I find it sad because a lot of people get catfished.☹️

It’s dangerous for younger girls because they’re innocent and are more prone to love fast.
    Most of the time there are fake accounts.

If can be nice if two persons actually have a great connection and constitently be present for each other.
    I think they should live together one day instead of staying in touch by a screen.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is on their phones these days and because I am someone who doesn’t go out to meet people, online dating helps me meet guys. If online dating didn’t exist, I would never be able to find a boyfriend

0|1
    0|0
  • It can be good and bad. If people are honest and true, it's another way to find a mate. Otherwise, it's an easy way to get hurt, played, and more. It's a risk just like any other avenue of dating.

0|0
    0|0
  • A few guys are nice and genuine in there but most guys are fuckboys who will date multiple girls at the same time. Once it gets a bit too serious with one girl they’ll say they don’t know what they want. BS!!! Men can be hoes for real

0|1
    0|0
  • me scrolling through a wall of male profiles "ugh, look at all these men" *realizes I just said that and don't even like men* thinks "am I gay?"

XD online dating is good in my opinion, you have SO many options

0|0
    0|2
  • It’s very hit or miss. I personally had more success with hiding my profile and only interacting with matches whom I messaged first.
    Online dating is an option, however, I’ve been more satisfied with relationships that I’ve had with guys whom I met through activities, work, or mutual friends

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont have much single friends and i dont go out much so thats how i try to meet potential dates. But it can be harmful too, cause i got cheated on by my now ex boyfriend by meeting up with a girl he met at tinder. Easy access for him i guess.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm way too busy honestly to be actively looking for dates irl. It helps so much to just check a few profile out or talk to someone when you have a few minutes of downtime. I wish more people online dated. Also wish there weren't so many bots

0|0
    0|0
  • Online dating is just fine, if you know how to navigate it. Meeting people in person is the same exact way. It's all just a one step at a time sort of thing. I've done both, many times.

0|0
    0|1
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 109

• I'd only recommend it to someone that wants to meet someone who lives far away, not someone local, or maybe a very overweight woman (don't laugh- there are a some good single women who happen to be overweight).

Even then, it is mostly a waste of time and the quality of the women is mostly not very good,

0|0
    0|0
  • At age 18, it is still relatively easy to meet people IRL. AS you get older, the pool of available members of the opposite sex will dwindle and online dating will make more sense to you then.

0|0
    0|0
  • I used to be a part of some online dating sites and found that most of the women I met online were either fake or liars or just looking to hook up. I would set up a meeting and when I met them likely something would be way off. Kinda lost interest in online dating, not much quality to be found.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah, that seems to be one of the bigger problems with it. At least in real life you have a better sense of who you're talking to.

• Honestly the amount of effort and co-ordination needed to set up one date with one quality girl who has far too many other guys sniffing around her is too much I find I got better results meeting women in the real world in bars, nightclubs, concerts, holidays, church, being set up by friends or family. Hell even the library or store or a new neighbour.

0|1
    0|0
  • Having used online dating the biggest advice i can give "Don't take it personal"! if you have a good experience. Terrific! But if you have a bad experience. Little to know responses, Broken conversations, etc. Unless the person specifically says you're the problem. Assume the problem is with them and move on to the next person.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's definitely not a bad thing, but not necessarily a good thing either. It can be a relatively easy way to meet new people who are also looking for a relationship.
    That said, I haven't had much luck with dating sites/apps.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's too impersonal, makes people seem to replaceable and therefore disposable. Aside from that, only one women who messaged me bothered to read my profile (I wrote no feminists, she was an overweight feminist who wanted to talk about how bad a match we'd be and then hit on me), making the entire thing just tinder. Not a good way to find the one.

0|0
    0|0
  • MOSTLY A WASTE OF YOUR MONEY. If you think you'll find "the one" online any easier, you are erong. All you've done is bought into a bigger ocean of fish. More bagage to wade through & pickier girls.

0|1
    0|0
  • I like the concept of it, but it doesn't really work. I think I'm alright looking, and I get only a few matches. I go out, but oddly, I still often don't meet single or people I am interested in. You see attractive people, with no profile, which makes you wonder how real their intent is.

However, I still have hope ;)

0|0
    0|0
    • I also think people use it as an easy solution, without wanting to put any real effort into improving themselves, how they relate to people, and their date-ability - therefore it often descends into crude lust and a lack of real intent. All about the quick fix.

• I selected Other. It's all hit or miss. I'm not a player, and I have to overcome the actions of guys to get a start. The problem is with some misrepresentation by women. In particular, their pictures. It's not like I won't see them when we meet. There are good people, but the bads ones make it all difficult.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its hit or miss... mainly miss honestly but good and bad is too broad. I have had some good relationships that started online and even if they didn't last they are still people I care about and keep up with

0|2
    0|0
  • I think it’s personal. For some people it might be great, and other people will find it nothing

0|1
    0|0
  • Online dating just doesn't work, yet it is my only option, and I hate it. I enjoy nerdy women who enjoy video games, but they will do the same thing you do, sit at home gaming, so the only way to find someone is online.

I am an extrovert, so going outside isn't a problem, but the gamers you look for are introverts, so they aren't outside.
    I hope to find someone one day, but I am pretty pessimistic.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think online dating is fine as long as you meet each other after some time

times have changed from how they were in the past and the internet really '' connects '' people. It's easier to open up online and so it's easier to get a more sincere relationship from the get-go if its online but it's pointless if it goes nowhere

0|0
    0|0
  • Women are there for validation and attention. The vast majority have zero intention of actually meeting up with anyone or dating.
    The men are there to find a hook up.
    It's for people that cannot connect and form relationships with the people they meet in their life travels. In other words, the rejects. Everybody else gets snapped up by a viable partner to date. No dates? go online, of course!

0|0
    0|0
  • Whether or not it's "good" or "bad" depends on your end goal. They often don't last long from what I've witnessed. Though, some people do it because they just want someone to talk to.

0|0
    0|0
  • Online dating only goes where you want it to... it gives people with a (busy life or a very shy person) to be just as remarkable as those with (time on their hands or a healthy amount of self esteem ) it gets bad when people underestimate its power.

0|0
    0|0
  • From my experience of online dating what i can say is that it suits people who dont have much time for relationships and for people who dont have opportunity to meet opposite sex too much. It is a good learning experience though, but very unlikely to meet someone you would like to meet like in real world. Ultimately it did help me , i would now go for the real thing

0|0
    0|0
  • Personally, I'm the same as you, but it seems to work for some people, so if it works, then fine. Maybe I'd try it if I was ever single again, I don't know.

1|0
    0|0
  • who wants to pay someone to talk to them for a few days and then they tell you they got a boyfriend or husband and then you just wasted money to get on that website. so I'm going to try it I'm David and I'm 40 years old single looking for a woman 39 if there's anyone out there that lives in Alabama area hit me up 228 281 8082

0|0
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes