Do you believe Social Media interferes with relationships?

Do you believe Social Media interferes with relationships?
  • Yes.
    Vote A
  • No.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• Social media is like a gun. Unless a human picks it up and uses it, it can do nothing.

People use social media as a crutch and avoid developing interpersonal skills. People who are 18-30 today complain about not feeling connected in their relationships but they go out with friends and spend the time texting with people who aren't present. FB, texting, IG, etc. have not helped people bu the culprits are the people who have misused them.

11|8
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 60

• I think OlderAndWiser has it right. No one should be asking someone out via social media if they can do it in person, for example.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's a distraction. Social media interferes with every aspect of life, just like drugs, or any other addictive behavior. In moderation, it's a healthy outlet for the overly introverted, but it can be abused like anything else and be destructive towards relationships, employment, responsibilities etc. etc.

2|2
    0|0
  • Weve made social media the arbiter of our interactions and relations with others. Its like we have added an unnecessary benchmark to our interactions. Because what we think of ourselves has become unimportant but what the Facebook universe thinks of us is all important apparently.

0|1
    0|0
  • Social media is gross because of how people use it, not because of its very existence. People often use it to sabotage others, and even themselves, but that's not the fault of the apps, the designers, or the promoters. Too few people accept responsibility for their own choices. "Social media" is just another in a long line of scapegoats for overgrown children.

0|1
    0|0
  • course it does people put there relationship on social media and wonder why they constantly have no romantic life. when you open your relationship to everyone then everyone thinks they have a say in your relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • It certainly changes things, because news can travel really fast. On another board, A Virgin was fucked and then he took a snap at the end and sent it to some friends. She became a slut at her school in about 2 seconds.

0|0
    0|0
  • If social media is life, then most definitely. Plus, social media can be harmful to non romantic relationship. I've heard of dumb people losing friend's over someone not looking their post.

3|0
    0|0
  • If you allow anything to interefere with your relationship, you're not ready for a relationship. Relationships are for adults.

0|1
    0|0
  • I rail against social media constantly on here. It's not real folks, nothing about it means a thing compared to face to face interaction. The problem is too many people believe it matters.

0|1
    0|0
  • For many it makes it easy to find people who were bad influences earlier in life. That is what happened to my late wife. She went from a great mother to a strung out junkie in a matter of a year.

0|2
    0|0
  • Two faced people are on the rise. In 1963 8% of people thought they were special. In 2014 65%. This rise came from the baby boomer self love campaign in what they refer to as "The Decade of Me." or the late 60's to the early 70's.

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course it influences them. But it's all fake. The narcissists playground. Nothing but LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!

1|0
    1|0
  • Yes it can depending on the behaviour of the people in the RL relationship online but on flip side you have people whose strongest relationship is a LDR or online one.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think generally yes, but I think it also can be empowering. Sites like this are technically social media and allow people to access information, alternative opinions and advice. The communication tools offered by social media allow people to communicate from afar. This allows people to video call across borders at zero marginal cost, and add transparency to long distance relationships thus building trust.
    Just stay away from your device while with your partner after hours, and all will be well.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not just social media. It's portable devices in general. They have taken away the art of conversation. When 2 or more people are in a room, the devices should be put away.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and sometimes just doesn't interfere, it destroys.

2|0
    0|0
  • Yes, to the extent that it kills face to face time.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. In the age of social media peoples exes are far less likely to be completely out of the picture.

2|0
    0|0
    • You think that exes and all evidence of a former relationship need to cease to exist for normal, healthy individuals to foster positive and meaningful relationships in the future?

• Not what I said. Out of the picture in this context means going your own separate ways (not creating to exist). Why would I stick around with an ex on their social media needlessly complicating the next relationship she's trying to build?

• Even though I said yes it depends on the social media and what they're doing on it who they following, etc because sometimes it can and sometimes it can't it all depends

0|0
    0|0
  • Social media is just a tool to interact with other people you know (or don't). It, in itself, can't interfere with a relationship, just makes it easier for people to microcheat.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 41

• My boyfriend says he likes talking me in real life more than online cause when we talk online its more impersonal

1|1
    0|0
  • In my experience, it only does if both or one of the partner's is super insecure. Otherwise, it's a non-issue. My social media has caused a number of ZERO issues or arguments in my relationship, and vice versa.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it can cause issues but ultimately it depends on the individual couple and if they let it interfere with their relationship. It all just comes down to how you use it. I like social media for keeping in touch with my friends and family but that's about it. It's important to have a life outside of social media too where you can live in the present and interact positively with your loved ones face-to-face.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only if you let it. Social media is not some sort of entity that has control over your life. If social media affects you, it's because you let it. If social media ruins your life, it's because you let it.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends. I’ve dated a guy who spent all of his time on Instagram and didn’t talk to me that much. I’ve also been with a guy who communicates with me through Facebook (due to long distance), and has treated me with more interest and respect than any guy I’ve met before him.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think that social media is so misused that it can even fuck up a government, a marriage and a relationship! It results in people loosing their jobs, falsely shames people, has caused many young suisides and it would give me joy to see facebook founder taken out and stoned to death.

0|0
    0|1
  • Absolutely.
    This also taking into account most social media will show you things to get a reaction out of you. Did you just have a tense conversation with someone? Well here's something to make you even angrier about thga topic. And it's all done on purpose to have you keep using it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Social media can only effects you negativity if you let it everything in life for moderation. Social media has never interfered with my relationships or friendships. I still go out in public to live my life.

0|0
    0|0
  • It will if you let it. For it to not interfere requires two things, 1) confidence in oneself and the relationship and
    2) not having a reliance on social media to establish your net worth as a person.

0|0
    0|0
  • It certainly can do, especially in this generation of snowflakes that cry if someone calls them a faggot online.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on if that individual chooses to let it distract him or her from relationship and partner. If everyone in this world were to be overly focused on it, then that would mean we are all probably just slaves to it in my opinion

0|0
    0|0
  • If you're not doing things in social media that cross the boundaries of your relationship, it shouldn't be a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • Relationships involves 2 variables enclosed in an equation, I can't say that these are constant though for we know how relationship works nowadays. But in the equation there's only 2 respective variables X and Y these two goes together either you give them exponents or expansions (family, friends) what's constant there is they're always in a closed parenthesis, u dnt include another factor meaning someone of any medium won't be able to interfere without ur permission. It's just a tool a platform to know others and share things but eve if u make it ur slambook or ur diary on a day to day basis, what people say and do won't affect u unless u let them. The equation will always be two unless one of the variable multiply itself to another integer (intruder) lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Only if you let it. I think the key is to not take social media seriously

1|1
    0|0
  • Not really. I think only weak minded people allow that to happen.

2|0
    0|0
  • thing with social media it increases your exposure to people, and i think that can have its negative and positive affects on a relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • i've seen many girlfriend / boyfriend fights start over dumb social media stuff - and even many more dumber fights between girls over really stupid stuff...

0|0
    0|0
  • 100% yes it effects a lot just smart phones in gereneral do to tho

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it does affect realationships. I think instagram most likely for the commodity that is. Love, respect and patience get blur in the instaworld.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes