Why does my boyfriend act weird around me when I meet his friends/family?

I’ve noticed he really only gets like this when it’s male friends/male cousins. Whenever I meet them, my boyfriend becomes a little stand-offish with me. He becomes distant, and kind of cold. I get kind of sad when he does that, because I am meeting new people that are a part of his life, and I feel I am doing something wrong or unpleasant. I am not sure if maybe he sees my friendliness as flirting or being interested in them. But, I really have no interest in cheating on my boyfriend, or even giving his friends/family a feeling that I am interested in them.

I’ve noticed he tends to get cold like this with specific friends. I think maybe he feels insecure around those friends/family members and thinks they’re more attractive than him/better at getting women or something. But, my boyfriend is a good looking guy, and he has gotten with many women before so that’s not the issue.

Also, the specific friends I’ve noticed he gets weird around are sooo far from my type of romantic interest and friend interest (tbh, I kind of just deal with them because they’re his friends). But, I try and be nice and ask my boyfriend questions or talk about the night we had with them.

I don't know. I just feel weird sometimes about it.

56

Most Helpful Guy

• He is probably having a feeling of jealousy. But maybe he doesn’t know why he is feeling that with those people.. he gets confused yet still kinda jealous and doesn’t want to show this because he most likely loves you. I’ve had it too one but it was just once..

• Hmmm. Yes, maybe. But, I am not the kind of person to do anything with my bf’s friends/male cousins. Yes, I’ve noticed he tends to get a little jealous. They way I see it is, he gets a bit skeptical with me. Almost as if he is watching to see.

I know he’s had bad experiences with girls. I’ve had my bad experiences with guys too. And sometimes I get jealous, but I’ve had legitimate reasons to :/ but still. I guess if he doesn’t say anything he wants to believe I am faithful! And i am.

• Could I ask your opinion on something via a normal message?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because he's worried that his male friends and family will judge him for being overly affectionate with you. Society says that having emotions and being tender are feminine traits, and that if a man displays them then he's less of a real man than other men who don't do that. Which is bullshit, by the way. He needs to be more mature and secure in his masculinity.

• Yes. But, he tends to show affection around other male friends. There is just a certain 2 I’ve noticed he doesn’t.