Why does my boyfriend act weird around me when I meet his friends/family?

I’ve noticed he really only gets like this when it’s male friends/male cousins. Whenever I meet them, my boyfriend becomes a little stand-offish with me. He becomes distant, and kind of cold. I get kind of sad when he does that, because I am meeting new people that are a part of his life, and I feel I am doing something wrong or unpleasant. I am not sure if maybe he sees my friendliness as flirting or being interested in them. But, I really have no interest in cheating on my boyfriend, or even giving his friends/family a feeling that I am interested in them.

I’ve noticed he tends to get cold like this with specific friends. I think maybe he feels insecure around those friends/family members and thinks they’re more attractive than him/better at getting women or something. But, my boyfriend is a good looking guy, and he has gotten with many women before so that’s not the issue.

Also, the specific friends I’ve noticed he gets weird around are sooo far from my type of romantic interest and friend interest (tbh, I kind of just deal with them because they’re his friends). But, I try and be nice and ask my boyfriend questions or talk about the night we had with them.

I don't know. I just feel weird sometimes about it.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• He is probably having a feeling of jealousy. But maybe he doesn’t know why he is feeling that with those people.. he gets confused yet still kinda jealous and doesn’t want to show this because he most likely loves you. I’ve had it too one but it was just once..

0|0
    0|0
    • Hmmm. Yes, maybe. But, I am not the kind of person to do anything with my bf’s friends/male cousins. Yes, I’ve noticed he tends to get a little jealous. They way I see it is, he gets a bit skeptical with me. Almost as if he is watching to see.

I know he’s had bad experiences with girls. I’ve had my bad experiences with guys too. And sometimes I get jealous, but I’ve had legitimate reasons to :/ but still. I guess if he doesn’t say anything he wants to believe I am faithful! And i am.

• Could I ask your opinion on something via a normal message?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because he's worried that his male friends and family will judge him for being overly affectionate with you. Society says that having emotions and being tender are feminine traits, and that if a man displays them then he's less of a real man than other men who don't do that. Which is bullshit, by the way. He needs to be more mature and secure in his masculinity.

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes. But, he tends to show affection around other male friends. There is just a certain 2 I’ve noticed he doesn’t.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• He probably feels insecure About. His self I don't know

1|0
    0|0
  • He's probably a bit jealous. Even though you may not be interested in them, that's not something he can feel! it may also be related to him knowing them and their ways which is something that he can't explain to you. Males may understand one another and their ways better than other females and vice versa. His bad experiences play a role in that for sure and it's not something he can just ignore even if he wanted to. The best thing is to know from him what annoys him when you deal with his male friends or to find out from a close friend of his. It may be difficult for him to explain it to you and it'll be difficult for you to find out through playing a guessing game. Avoid mentioning or talking about things you know annoy him.

0|0
    0|0
  • He’s embarrassed to show affection in front of the family.

0|0
    0|0
  • Could be anything from their past.

0|0
    0|0
  • His friends probably always tell him that you have him whipped all the time and what I mean by “whipped” I mean like you have him as your b*tch or like a puppy always following you around saying yes to everything which I mean it’s not bad to have a boyfriend like that but friends notice and we do tend to bother our friends when we notice they getting whipped by their girl

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I was married to a guy like that and I ended up divorcing him. Don't bother getting into his head it will drive you insane. He is jealous/insecure and has many issues and you will always feel bad as long as your with him. So run fast, leave him. He is a deperessed person.

0|0
    0|0
  • Maybe he is cheating and they know. He gets nervous if they might give away his secret somehow. I don’t know?

0|0
    0|1
  • Probably nervous

0|0
    0|0
  • You are in a bad situation right now, but i'm sure that he is really jealous of you and can't share with someone else. This is a good thing, you shouldn't be sad about this. You are kind of lucky person.

1|0
    0|0
    • I don’t know. I feel bad inside. I feel like he doesn’t trust me. I’ve noticed he also acts in the same way when I tried telling him details about a party I went to :/

• Maybe he trust you but he doesn't trust people. Love him so much bc he's a real lover to me 😉 I never came across such a guy in my life. You should know his worth. There are lots of people who wants a guy like your boyfriend.😉

Recommended myTakes