Boyfriend telling girlfriend the price of gifts all the time. what does it mean?

What does it mean if a boyfriend tells the girlfriend the price of each and everything they bought (as a gift)? Especially when the gift isn't even expensive like cheap average things but the person describes the price like he is trying to make the receiver feel bad or owe him something for it.

Why would a guy do this to a girlfriend?

what does it show about this person's character?

22

Most Helpful Girl

• Sounds trashy to me. A gift is meant to be given without expectation of reciprocation. That he makes sure she knows just how much he spent or how much effort he exerted or anything like that shows it's not really a gift.

That's my first thought.

But giving him the benefit of the doubt. It could be so that she doesn't worry that he's spending all his money by mentioning that it wasn't expensive, or maybe he had an ex who accused him of never getting her anything and wants his new girlfriend to recognise that he's showing he values her by getting her things.

But you'll see soon. The type of person who only gives things conditionally won't be able to resist using it against you for long. If he's not like that then the weird habit of naming prices will continue, but at least you'll know they're just numbers and not strings attached.