Does the definition of romance change between men and women?

Example women would find a dinner date at a fancy restaurant with candles and piano music romantic.
For me that would be nice but not my definition of romantic.
For me romantic requires an element of physical interaction.

Example a movie night just the two of you sitting on a sofa with snacks and cuddles.
  • It does change between men and women
    Vote A
  • It doesn't
    Vote B
  • It changes between each individual
    Vote C
  • On the fence
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• The sofa thing sounds ideal to me. Don't get me wrong, I'd appreciate a gesture like the fancy restaurant, but it's really not my thing.
    The most romantic thing I've done is sit in a car with my boyfriend, seats reclined back, singing along to songs together. Just small things like that, and a lot of them is my idea of romance.

1|2
    0|0
  • Romance to me can be as simple as fixing me a plate of food or opening the door for me. It's anything he does that shows me I'm special to him. It doesn't have to be expensive dinners or jewelry. Snuggling together is romantic.

3|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• people say that "romance is dead" but what they mean by that is the stereotypical, formal night in a posh restaurant with your other half

which in my opinion never really has been a thing
    it mightve abit in the 1900s but before that that stereotype woulsnt if existed bc it just never happened

0|1
    0|0
  • for me
    Im like you
    watching movie or sitting on the beach and talking
    I like to flirt a lot

0|1
    0|0
    • Yes exactly being just with your date and doing something you like together is better than any dinner out.
      When you are out you have to be weary of how much affection you show your date.
      When alone you can be a lot more cuddly.

• you're quite right

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 27

• Probably

0|0
    0|0
  • Romance is a subjective thing. For me, all I really care about is spending time with someone. Whether that be at a 5 star gourmet restraunt or watching Terminator with some pizza, I'm down for it. Other people have different ideas on romance however, there is no one way to define it.

1|1
    0|0
  • "Movie night just the two of you sitting on a sofa with snacks and cuddles"

I find that plan more romantic and intimate than the restaurant... I don't know, we can't have that intimacy if there's a pianist there. There are maybe men that might find the restaurant more romantic, who knows. I think what it's romantic is something individual. Also feel sometimes like those restaurants things seen as romantic is something from TV and movies. But maybe it's just my feeling.

0|1
    0|0
  • romance is a mood thing, sometimes its nice to cuddle up on a settee with a cold drink, sometimes its nice to dress up and have a big thing out of it, romance could just be a flirting thing, moods will dictate what is romantic

0|2
    0|0
  • Men: dinner, sports game, pub etc
    Women: something more low key and different
    I was reading news a few weeks ago when a wife decided to celebrate their anniversary of some 20 odd years by just gifting him and for herself a lotto ticket each with same numbers because they couldn't do much else with limited finances. Well both tickets won them 4 million each for the next 20 years. (they get paid out every month )

1|1
    0|0
  • I personally don’t find pleasure in fancy restaurants and candle lit dinners, I’d find a home cooked meal and some candles more romantic, or sitting on the couch cuddled watching a movie or a picnic in the park romantic... romantic is different from one person to another...

1|1
    0|0
  • im totally not romantic in popular sense, even despise it
    but its not that im not romantic, just in my own way
    so its really individual and more personality thing

1|1
    0|0
  • Women are the ones who get romanced and men are traditionally the romancers.

0|0
    0|1
  • Yes, it does change between a man and a woman, hell it changes across one individual and another.

That's why they have what it is called love languages, like there are some stuffs that you think is romantic, and another one thinks it's a turn off, someone enjoys nightouts and another one likes a simple picnic or just a coffee with their partner.

That's a funny comparison but it's kinda like kinks? You might like something in bed that you can't get off without while another one thinks it's such a weird thing.

But good couples should learn to appreciate eachother's efforts and try their best to surprise one another with whatever they know they love.

So yeah

0|1
    0|0
  • Yea simplicity and creativity goes a long way. Everyone have their own version of romance.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on the individuals themselves, everyone has different perspective on life and on what and what should or should not be, the same applies to romance.

1|0
    0|0
  • Nah i think it varies from individual to individual

1|1
    0|0
  • Every one has a different idea of what is romantic or considered as such.

0|2
    0|0
  • gals lik public events, men like private time with chicks best

1|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the individual.

0|1
    0|0
  • Both of those sound romantic.

0|0
    0|0
  • It changes between each individual

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes sometimes

0|0
    0|0
  • It does.

0|0
    0|0
  • it changes.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 39

• Different People will have different preferences on this.

0|0
    0|0
  • Obviously it varies between each persons but I find for girls romance is more materialistic and close contact that isn't sex.
    With guys I think, at least with me, that it is more action based. And by that I mean things you do together, which can be very broad from sex to go karting. Maybe I'm just weird😂

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah this is the kind of debate I was looking for when I made the question of course everyone is different but men and women have similarities in romance based on gender.

• I know that I haven't been the most romantic. I chose individual. Sometimes we take our S. O's for granted. I forget anniversaries, birthdays, what day of the week it is, It's not on purpose. I just have some brain damage.

0|1
    0|0
  • I also believe it differs between individuals. There are so many aspects that play a part in who we are and each of us has different experiences growing up. What we think is romantic is probably built of what we desire, what we need, and what we perceive as bringing happiness. What we find romantic are displays that build a loving and caring relationship as well as develop a sense of intimacy and joy. We all find joy in different things, so we all perceive romance in different ways.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it changes between each Individual. For me physical interaction is not romantic it's usual. Normal live. I cuddle with my girlfriend every day and we do a movie evening every day with cuddling and Snacks so it's the normal live nothing romantic on that. I would like to go in the forest, build a Labyrinth out of candles and one has his/ her eyes shot and the other one tells where to go with some stations about the relationship

0|1
    0|0
  • Each person rather male or female have their own opinion and definition of romance.
    For example some men like athletic women that like to go on physically active dates such as rock climbing or hiking others prefer a women who are not athletic (homebody)
    They prefer to stay home and watch Netflix.

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course it does. It changes from one person to the next, but you'll likely find more similarities between women's ideas of romance, or men's ideas of romance than what you'd find between men and women.

0|1
    0|0
  • maybe its not a matter of surroundings, its not a role play. so far my two most romantic "encounters" were rather unique (one at the backseat of a brokedown car, another one lying on a park bench with a migrain)

0|1
    0|0
  • voted c. i think the definition of romance is not different simply on gender lines but rather unique to each person

0|1
    0|0
  • Cuddling on the couch binge watching our shows. Nice trips away from home without kids. Dinner dinners without kids. Little surprises for each other.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes.

Honestly I don't think many can even talk about their own conception of it very well. They just rattle off some nonsense about fancy dinners without articulating the fundamental concept... No offense.

0|0
    0|0
  • Literally the sofa is one of my ideal dates, its very chill

0|1
    0|0
  • It changes between each individual, not only gender.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would prefer going to Marriotts for dinner but my girlfriend prefers the fast food so it does change

1|0
    0|0
  • Movie night on sofa with snacks and cuddles. That's what I would prefer. Its more private. But I can also be the opposite.

1|0
    0|0
  • Romance is an individual thing, not a gender thing. What I find romantic would be different to another person regardless of gender.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say C its an individual thing - Some might say candlelit dinner, others may say playing your girl's hair in sweats watching Netflix

0|0
    0|0
  • Romance for women is getting taken care of, Romance for men is getting laid.

Of course there is A LOT of overlap and it's a big generalisation.

0|0
    0|0
  • In my experience, ones perception of what romance is and what it should be depends more on a person's personality than their gender.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think actions and words matter more than actually doing something like a dinner date

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes